The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Looking out for my own. <3 (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Glad for the positive news, Laurie. Take care.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
My Mom asked me to thank you all for your support. She appreciates it greatly. She has had a couple of infectious complications and is still in hospital.

Because she's been on prednisone for quite awhile due to her arthritis, she's susceptible to infection, and has a couple of them: MRSA and C. difficile.

MRSA she's likely had before now because a few weeks prior to her scheduled surgery she ended up with cellulitis in her right leg. At that time the surgery was postponed. They ended up going ahead with it on schedule though- they didn't want her to wait.

C. difficile she has had previously, for similar reasons, back in 2006.

Despite these complications, she is improving daily. They removed the pacemaker wire today, and her breathing is improved, though she's still receiving supplemental oxygen. She's able to stand and walk without a walker. She walked from her bed to the window and back a couple of times yesterday, with good strength and coordination.
Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I had a c. difficile infection after a ruptured appendix in 2008. It was much worse than the rupture. I can't guarantee that it was the difference, but my insides only started to recover once I started eating probiotic yoghurt. I recommend it to your mom.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou very much, John. You're right, it's very important, indeed. And I bought some probiotic yoghurt for her a couple of days ago and have brought some samples of it to her while she was waiting for the dietician to put it on her menu. She's getting it daily now.
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
Think positive.....
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou very much, Docc.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2014, Dennis Michael wrote:
Enjoy your family now while you can. I lost my brother Friday.

Yesterday, his wife died. She is younger than I.
Dennis Michael
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Mom was released from the Ottawa Heart Institute November 13 and has been staying at her sister's home in Merrickville. She'll likely be going home to Arnprior this weekend. She's walking without the walker now, they say. Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Prayers have been answered! Good news, Laurie! Smile

Doug
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Wonderful,

I'm glad things are still looking up.

-Mary Mowder
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Laurie just seen this post
i hope everything goes well.....your friend Vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
My Mom is scheduled for a recommended TAVI procedure June 7 to re-replace her aortic valve. This procedure is much less invasive than open-heart surgery with a generally easier recovery. She has a very small valve which has narrowed significantly. So, while they don't expect to resolve that completely, a new valve should considerably improve function. She's having issues with the mitral valve, too, but they recommend letting that valve be. Going for a pre-procedure appointment on Thursday.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Had the preadmin work done today and Mom is actually scheduled for the procedure on Monday, June 6.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The Heart Institute just called to say Mom will be first tomorrow. They had said she'd be third when they called to confirm on Friday. So we'll be up early to get there for 6 a.m. We live about an hour and a half away. It's kind of nice they'll be doing her procedure first. In the past she's often had to go last due to MRSA protocols.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I was up this morning but didn't go in with Tracey and Mom to Ottawa. I got a call after the procedure from Tracey saying it had gone very well, no complications. A few minutes later, she called back saying she had gotten a call that Mom's heart rate had dropped to zero and they had had to revive her with the paddles and were going to get the pacemaker team to look at her. I just got a call from the doctor telling me the procedure had gone well, but Mom has passed on and they don't know why. They wanted permission to perform an autopsy. My Mom had a difficult life from day 1- She was born in Holland during World War 2.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Laurie, I am so sorry this has happened. Our prayers are with both your Mom and you.

Sincerely,

Julie
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Sorry for your loss. I recently lost my mother as well. Please reach out if you need someone to chat with.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I feel like I wasn't careful enough about this and didn't give it enough attention. I feel like I needed to research the specifics of Mom's condition and I failed her. I was avoiding it, I think, and she deserved more than that. How can family be better qualified to make this choice than the professionals? But I feel like they weren't careful enough with her fragile condition. And we were trying to trust for a change. The learning curve is so high but I know that doctors don't treat their patients or know their patients like they are family. I feel like Mom was constantly given the short end. And she gave everything. Why didn't I give her more? She deserved so much more. The dress in my avatar was hers.

I feel like she was whisked away. Everything so fast today. Why did it go so fast today. Even the procedure was only about an hour and a half. And they had said to expect 2-3 hours. Why the rush?Why didn't we put the brakes on?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
My condolences to you and the rest of your family.
The Scary Librarian
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of The Scary Librarian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Looking out for my own. <3 (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL