The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tell me more about Ron Bauer (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, Ricardo Delgado wrote:
1) For what I understood, the script is very important in his work. It seems to me (taking from comments here and some other texts about him) that the right words matter a lot to get the right reactions from spectators. So, besides the effect, patter, presentation tips, does his booklets really teach you to think like a conjurer? I mean, can I learn his method (or theory) and apply for the tricks I love to perform to make them better?

Short answer... YES! You're right that the words are very important... To quote Mark Twain, "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." But by understanding and using the THEATRICAL PRINCIPLES espoused, you can polish up ANY magic trick! Remember, these are ANNOTATED Performance Scripts, so RB covers HOW he devises the scripts, and WHY he makes certain creative choices.

Quote:
2) Does anyone perform his material in other language? does it work? If the right words matter, how do you chose you patter when you translate? I'm very interested in this. The way people describe his magic makes me think about poetry, in the sense that in poetry you take a lot of arbitrary rules, each from a group of the language (like words, grammar, rhythm, rimes, meaning, subtext) and make them all fit together, in a way that all those rules (that usually have their logic different from one another) form a unity. (The greatest example I know of this is the "Commedia" by Dante Alighieri - the "Divine Comedy" - which can only be complete, in meaning and rhythm, when in archaic italian)

I'm from Michigan and only speak English, but it's possible certain things won't translate (particularly some of the humor). However, as I mentioned above, the scripts are constructed on sound theatrical principles which are based on HUMAN NATURE. And that's universal.

Quote:
3) is there a way to get his material in digital form? I know he sells the manuscripts, and ships them world wide, but I think lots of people living far away from the states would be glad with a digital copy (that you don't need to wait or pay for shipping). I'm from Brazil, by the way.

No digital editions... yet. I've tried to persuade RB to release these digitally, but I'm not sure what his plans are.

Quote:
4) I noticed on his website that there are some numbers of his private lessons with a "coming soon" status. Is he still producing those? Will he release it? Or was it already produced and he is doing a second print or something?

Those are upcoming releases. ALL of the scripts you see with color covers are the new editions. Originally, #1-12 were published with black-and-white covers. The publisher changed, and they started over with revised and expanded editions of those first 12. Nine more (#13-19, #21, #22) have been released since, with three more to go (#20 "That's the Spirit!," #23 "Worn Out Deck," and #24 "Sneaky Nudist Rides Again").
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Thanks!
Hondo88
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Hondo88
I recently purchased a couple of scripts and am looking forward to reading them. Thanks for all of the good info.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Every few months I check the internet to see if there are any more interviews, clips, etc of Ron Bauer out there. Just checking again...
tjo'
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
181 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
Give me a yell if you're in the Toledo/Detroit area, and I can arrange an actual meeting with the man.

Mike.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2017, Michael Jay wrote:
Give me a yell if you're in the Toledo/Detroit area, and I can arrange an actual meeting with the man.

Mike.

I was talking to RB the other day, and he said, "Of all the people around here, the one I miss most is Michael Jay."
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I stumbled upon this thread while searching for "what's an effect". Minutes after reading these post I immediately ordered Rons manuscripts. I haven't been this excited in a while!
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
For those interested in Ron Bauer and his magic, there's a private Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thinklikeaconjurer/
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8555 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
So long ago - a "Ron Bauer" memory - wonder if he remembers...I was on a promotion tour for one of my memory-training books. Was in Ron's area. I had many radio/TV appearances to do. Ron said he'd drive me to them - since he knew the area, etc. He did; I never forgot it.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9138 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good memory, Harry about one of the really good guys in magic. I'm sure he remembers the same about a really good guy in you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Bronco
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Bronco
Any updates on Mr. Bauer? I recently came across his work at a local brick and mortar . Come to find out he lives in the general area. I was wondering if he gets out and about anymore?
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Mr. Bauer is now in his eighties and has had several health struggles over the past few years. He doesn't attend the weekly "Monday Mystics" meetings anymore.

Currently he's working on finishing the final books in his Private Studies Series.
Bronco
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Bronco
Thanks for the info. I stopped by Wunderground yesterday and picked up his Second Finger Top Deal booklet (lots of clear tips in it). They haven’t seen him in a while but had good things to say about him.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2014, Magic-Daniel wrote
Please share some stories or info about Ron. Love to hear some.
Think Like a Conjuror is open to those who wish to learn.
If you have not yet worked in theater and taken direction -> good place to start.

Stories are what your audiences tell.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
For anyone interested in learning more about Ron Bauer, there's a Penguin Live lecture being released this Sunday from one of his top students, Tom Gaddis. You can check out the details here https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/17384
Stew
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stew
Also, if you're interested in any of Ron's Lecture notes, they can be purchased from his website. http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com. His Riffle Palm and TTT notes are amazing!

Stew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tell me more about Ron Bauer (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL