The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Discoveries (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Vlad,

It's a nice, easy, balletic and deceiving move. Though, it can't replace the EC everywhere, in that particular effect it works very well. I'm reading the description from Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table, but I assume it's identical to the one published in Apocalypse.

It's akin to a move you'll find in some diminishing lift sequence, though Darwin was doing it in the mid 70's.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, Claudio wrote:
Vlad,

It's a nice, easy, balletic and deceiving move. Though, it can't replace the EC everywhere, in that particular effect it works very well. I'm reading the description from Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table, but I assume it's identical to the one published in Apocalypse.

It's akin to a move you'll find in some diminishing lift sequence, though Darwin was doing it in the mid 70's.

Hi Claudio,

I certainly agree it can't replace the EC for everything. But I do think that it's been overlooked and seems to have some interesting possibilities. I guess my attraction to it stems from the fact that while I have a world of respect for Peter Kane and obviously Jazz Aces is a great plot, the original routine in which all of the vanishes were accomplished by EC seemed to me a case of too much of the same thing. Mr. Ortiz's approach seems far more refined and when I read that third phase, I began thinking that perhaps it could be useful in other routines.It certainly is akin to diminishing lift sequences and perhaps it is th "balletic" quality that really grabbed me.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Best,
Vlad
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
^ Actually, thinking about it, it's more a "substitute" for Marlo's ORLAM move. Anyway, I too like it.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I was reading through r. Paul Wilson's notes entitled OMERTA and there's a terrific effect called the ComCan Incident. I red deck is brought out and spread and the magician notices there's 3 cards missing, then gets a blue deck out and asks a spectator to remove 3 cards, which the magicians places into the red deck and puts the blue deck away. On looking at the red card case the magician sees three cards, and dang, that's where those cards were. And they match exactly the blue cards the spectator chose.

Hope that reads logically.

I loved this upon first read, so I need to practice and possibly perform it.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2015, fonda57 wrote:
I was reading through r. Paul Wilson's notes entitled OMERTA and there's a terrific effect called the ComCan Incident. I red deck is brought out and spread and the magician notices there's 3 cards missing, then gets a blue deck out and asks a spectator to remove 3 cards, which the magicians places into the red deck and puts the blue deck away. On looking at the red card case the magician sees three cards, and dang, that's where those cards were. And they match exactly the blue cards the spectator chose.

Hope that reads logically.

I loved this upon first read, so I need to practice and possibly perform it.

Thanks Mike! I'll have to dig around and see if I have those notes. I've heard the title of the routine but not the effect. It seems strong. Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
There's a lot of good stuff in those notes, including a good rendition of the Jazz Aces
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I'm cross posting this from another thread. This is from Gerald Deutsch who is a member of The Café, a splendid magician and a former student of one of magic's titans, namely, Slydini. Thanks Mr. Deutsch!

The Invisible Card

Apocalypse January 1993 page 2171 ---- also the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum May 1, 2009

The effect is:

* A spectator is asked to name a card.
* The magician says the card has become invisible and shows there is no visible card of that suit and value in the deck.
* The magician then puts the invisible card in the center of the deck and it comes to the top. The audience thinks the magician has flipped his lid.
* The magician continues doing stuff with his invisible card, making it levitate and then pass through his left trouser pocket and then his right trouser pocket.
* The magician is upset, however, when he pulls the invisible card out of his right trouser pocket because it has turned visible and the spectators now see the card originally named by a spectator being produced from the magician’s pocket.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
There are some great Invisible deck routines in Al Leech's Card Tricks For Cardicians. These do not use the invisible deck.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
"Encore Card Stab"

Al Koran's Professional Presentations by Hugh Miller, p.57

Skill Level: Early Intermediate

Effect: A pack of cards is brought forth and shuffled, then given to a volunteer to cut as many times as they wish. They remove the top or bottom card and hide it. Performer retakes pack and proposes to cut it himself; so saying, he produces a garish knife(No this isn't "Pasteboard Massacre" - just wait for it). The knife blade is pushed into the pack and the card "cut to" proves to be the mate of the selection.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
"Sans Skill" by Claude Impériale

from Semi-Automatic Card Tricks Volume 8 by Steve Beam

Skill Level: Beginner

Type: Impromptu

Effect: From a spectator shuffled pack, three spectators are each given a packet. Each selects a card from their packet and the selections are lost into the pack by the spectators themselves. The deck is shuffled and when the cards are spread face up, the selections have disappeared - only to reappear a moment later, face up in the face-down deck.

It's an excellent use of the Free Cut Principle. When I can't perform Darwin Ortiz's Combination Cull, because the deck is in no condition to be faro'ed for exmample, I use this easy and very entertaining version. The given patter fits very well with the effect and enhances its impact.

Steve's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series is a near inexhaustible source of excellent effects.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Agree 100% with the above post.
Threecard
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Arizona
141 Posts

Profile of Threecard
"Spectral" by John Guasteferro

From: E-book "Ready, Set, GuasteferrO" and "John G Live at the Table" video lecture.

Skill Level: Beginner

Type: Impromptu

Effect: "A freely selected card vanishes and reappears in a most mysterious way"

Wow, that is a very simple description of a very clever and multilayered approach to this effect! I won't say anymore, look this one up!
Oh, and thanks again to Vlad for such an excellent thread...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
A Perverse Discovery (with thanks to Gerald Deutsch's concept of Perverse magic):
http://jackshalom.net/2015/07/25/rising-expectations/
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I was reading Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne today, and there's a good one called Card Sandwich. A selected card is lost in the deck and you show the whole deck and the card has vanished, only to be found, luckily by the two black queens, or whatever.

I could see this a good prelude to One Eyed Jack Sandiwch
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
I finally found an interesting gem to contribute while reading "Farelli's Card Magic" (which I picked up in digital form from Conjuring Arts).

VICTOR FARELLI
Four from Five Leaves One

The description from the book:

Effect:
Borrowing a pack of cards, the magician removes an Ace, a Two, a Three, a Four and a Five of any suit, or suits, and lays them, in numerical order, face upwards on the table. The operator then turns his back, while a spectator, after shuffling the pack, deals a card face downwards on each of the cards of the row. The helper then glances at one of the face-down cards and remembers its name. Turning round, the conjurer gathers up the five cards, dealt by the assistant, and places them in his own pocket. He then removes four of the cards and shows that none of them is the one selected. These cards are arranged, by the selector, on top of the face up cards, allowing for the “ gap ” caused by the one still in the artist’s pocket. Without asking any questions, the wizard produces this card and shows that it is the one chosen.
A borrowed pack, which the conjurer has never seen before, is used and the name of the selected card is not asked as in the standard version.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Jefferson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jefferson
This topic should be revisited every once in a while by everyone, so I'm resurrecting it after 1.5 years with my contribution. But thanks to Vlad for starting this. My contribution is an interesting method to a well studied trick. However, I can't find my copy of the book right now, so I can't give you the title of the trick or the page number. But here it is.

Trick: ACAAN - Barrie Richardson
Book: Act Two (I think)
Skill Level: The same as any ACAAN

Description: A spectator names any card. A number is selected (slightly restricted, but no one will ever expect that it is). The named card is at the named number.

What I find most interesting is that the performer never touches the cards. The spectator removes the cards from the box, and the named card is at the named number.

No one touches the cards until after all the card and number are selected. There is a procedure to the trick, but I think it adds to the effect.

Have fun and let's keep this thread going.

Thanks again Vlad.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2017, Jefferson wrote:
This topic should be revisited every once in a while by everyone, so I'm resurrecting it after 1.5 years with my contribution. But thanks to Vlad for starting this. My contribution is an interesting method to a well studied trick. However, I can't find my copy of the book right now, so I can't give you the title of the trick or the page number. But here it is.

Trick: ACAAN - Barrie Richardson
Book: Act Two (I think)
Skill Level: The same as any ACAAN

Description: A spectator names any card. A number is selected (slightly restricted, but no one will ever expect that it is). The named card is at the named number.

What I find most interesting is that the performer never touches the cards. The spectator removes the cards from the box, and the named card is at the named number.

No one touches the cards until after all the card and number are selected. There is a procedure to the trick, but I think it adds to the effect.

Have fun and let's keep this thread going.

Thanks again Vlad.

Thank YOU Jefferson for resurrecting it. Smile
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
I only knew Barry Richardson's impromptu version. which is pretty good already.
Never touches the deck?? sounds like the real deal..
Jefferson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jefferson
The Barrie Richardson trick is called Untouched and it is in Act Two. I would perform it slightly different than it is written, but it does satisfy all the conditions above.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well, I knew I had been inactive here for a bit of time. Must have been longer than I thought because as I post this, the thread was 25 pages in!

Anyhow ...

I've always loved Charlie Miller's Dunbury Delusion from Expert Card Technique. It's a classic and it is commercial, and it is very strong. I've been treasure hunting again and found a wonderful version of Dunbury Delusion in an e-book (sorry Magicfish) called Killer Koncepts, written by Aldo Colombini, Peter Duffie, and Robin Robertson. This e-book focuses on a concept introduced by Steve Beam in Semi-Automatic Card Tricks volume five. Mr. Beam calls this sweet sleight "The Killer Count." It's a really interesting exploration of execution the Hamman Count which opens up a ton of possibilities. If you don't have Semi-Automatic Card Tricks volume five - and why don't you?? - the Killer Count is taught in Killer Koncepts.

There is a routine in this e-book titled Dunbury with Ease. It's a VERY nice approach to Miller's classic. Have a look! If you don't have the e-book but you don't react with utter revulsion as my friend Magicfish the Ubiquitous, it is available at Lybrary.com http://www.lybrary.com/advanced_search_r......earchin=

Skill Level: If you can execute a Hamman Count then this e-book is packed with really excellent magic with no knucklebusters. If you don't know the Hamman Count, it's a VERY useful sleight that is emblematic of Bro. John Hamman's diabolical thinking. (Strange to say that about a Catholic monk. I need a better description). Smile This e-book provides incentive to learn the Hamman Count.

Best,
"Vlad"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Discoveries (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL