The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » ACR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J773
View Profile
New user
Belgium
56 Posts

Profile of J773
I've been thinking about putting together a few tricks in a routine. I've also been seeing Crash Course 2 from illusionist.

I'm wondering, what do people prefer? The ambitious routine or just a routine with "normal" card tricks?

ACR is great, but each time it's the same result, one card appears on top. With a routine of "normal" tricks you can vary the outcome of your tricks.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
J773,

I'm not sure what you mean. I've always considered the ambitious card trick as a "normal" routine.

But, then, I consider myself as "normal", too!
Smile
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
I belive that all non-gimmiced tricks are "normal." Do you do Ambitious Card with a Svengali deck? Then it's another story.

Learn Ambitious well, it's a classic!

Jack
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
J773
View Profile
New user
Belgium
56 Posts

Profile of J773
What I mean is, the ACR is basically everytime the same trick, just different method of bringing the card up.

With "normal tricks" I mean everything else.

Would people prefer an ACR routine over a routine with all different tricks, like hot mama and others?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ah, I see what you mean.

Well, that would depend on the performer, the audience, the venue, and the trick.

There's no hard and fast rule; what works, works. And that's all there is to it. (Ha! As if that were easy!)
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I watched a Video of Tommy Wonders ACR receiving a spontaneous standing ovation. I think that you could probably get that out of various routines if you put in the time and effort like he so obviously has.
Magic is fun!!!
J773
View Profile
New user
Belgium
56 Posts

Profile of J773
Peter,

I understand that it would depend on various factors.

but how do you decide which is which ?

Do you handle a rule, or is it just expirience ?
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Try sequencing the ACR with other signed card effects in which a signed card is being produced from other locations . This way the routine crescendos rather than appearing as just a trick in which a card keeps popping up to the top of the deck.
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Generally, when a magician talks about his routine, he is referring to the way in which he has arranged a series of "tricks" or "effects" so that they flow from one into the other, including his patter/dialogue, movements, etc. Basically, this routine is the show that he would perform if he were asked to do a one hour set behind a table.

The Ambitious Card "Routine" is a trick/effect. This is not to say that it cannot be incorporated into an actual show/routine. As Michaels stated, you could put together a signed card routine, and include the ACR in it.

If I may, I'd like to recommend you a DVD that will give you a good insight into how a routine should be put together. "Doc Easons Bar Magic: Volume 1" is fantastic if you want to see a routine just with card magic being performed to a live audience. The DVD shows the 40 minute performance, and then goes "behind the scenes" to teach the effects shown in the performance. The whole routine is structured around a card constantly appearing under the magicians drink, and includes effects such as Triumph, 3 Card Monte and an Ambitious Card Routine.

Get it, get it, get it. Although it is good to have a fair idea of the basics of card magic first. If you've made it through "Royal Road to Card Magic", you should be safe.

-- Topher
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
I agree with Topher, Eason's Bar Magic Vol. 1 is excellent but not exactly for beginners although it covers the importance of the presentation aspect rather than a perfect presentation of the technical moves used, but if you know the basics it's a really great source.

I also believe it's important to have a "thread" going through your whole routine, using the signed card is a nice application. Still when performing the ACR I stick to the original routine, but (depending on how demanding my guests are) I'll modify the ending some. I might end with an Impossible Location Kicker AKA Wallet, Paperclipped etc.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
You really need to try out different routines and see what works for your style. You'll find that some routines get better reactions from your personal style than others, even effects that you personally didn't think to be as astonishing may outshine your favorites. After practicing thoroughly, then audience test and see what astonishes.

You'll also find that your style will change as your technical skills, presentation experience, and overall confidence improve, and you'll start adding new patter, misdirection or aspects to your existing routines which ideally will improve and/or change the spectator reaction. It's a fluid process which is tied to your personal progression as a magician. Plus, it's more enjoyable to express yourself in this process rather than mimic a routine or exact patter.

Give them all a try, see what works, and enjoy yourself.
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
I like the ACR a lot. I finish with them holding the cards and doing the magic...a corker. But I know there are many, many others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » ACR (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL