The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Review of Thom Peterson’s Topit-A-Go-Go” (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joe Ridgely
View Profile
New user
UK
2 Posts

Profile of Joe Ridgely
I actually use a topit on stage as part of my regular working show, and have wasted all kinds of money on the latest greatest topits with all of their “improvements” (some better than others). So it was with my usual skepticism that I purchased Thom Peterson’s latest offering, “Topit-A-Go-Go.”

I was delightfully surprised that this topit fit my needs perfectly. There is a moment in my show where I wanted to change my jacket (as I do a number of different characters, and can’t always leave the “stage”), and sometimes I wanted to wear a rather long vest. Both of these things were hindrances in the past — but handled beautifully with Peterson’s topit.

I won’t tip the workings of the topit, but I will say that, while the solution is simple and elegant, any attempt I’ve made in the past to try to make something like this myself has resulted badly. Peterson has clearly thought this through for a long time.

You receive a very well made topit, (not like a few I’ve gotten online over the years), a small “sewing kit” (really just some needles, safety pins and thread), and a teaching DVD. I will say that I wish the DVD had included some routines or tricks on them, but Thom points to many good resources on the DVD where someone can learn good topit routines. I assume that at this price, whoever buys this will already have an application in mind.

Topits are not for everyone, and the $99 price tag may put some people off — not a bad thing in my opinion. But for the worker, this topit is a godsend! I’ve already installed and used this topit, and the level of freedom I now experience was worth many times the price!
tricktac
View Profile
New user
U.K
73 Posts

Profile of tricktac
Got a link for a demo? I usually love Thoms stuff, it's great!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4314 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
tricktac
View Profile
New user
U.K
73 Posts

Profile of tricktac
Thanks. That looks pretty cool!!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
This has me interested, but I will await a review...
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1188 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
I got this about the same time I purchased Lemon Drop. Both are GREAT! I like being able to take my jacket on and off during my show and for the topit to basically instantly reset itself when I put my jacket back on. A GREAT solution and very well made...

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Tucking a standard topit in opens it up more and makes it less likely that you'll miss.
Does this one compensate for that?
Joe Ridgely
View Profile
New user
UK
2 Posts

Profile of Joe Ridgely
I would say better than tucking in and you will hit you normal rate...
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
How easy/difficult is it to transfer to a different jacket. Since needle and thread are supplied, I'm thinking it would take some time.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
One more question-- are there any problems with being able to retrieve items via the outside pocket (using the typical modification to one's jacket)?
ThomPeterson
View Profile
New user
UK & L.A.
20 Posts

Profile of ThomPeterson
Hi Ftlum:

The back panel of the topit has ample room to have your tailor or seamstress install a slit for the standard "through the outside pocket" retrieval. I struggled as to whether or not to install the slit myself during the manufacturing, but I decided against it for several reasons. If you're having someone modify your jacket to be able to go through your outside pocket, they would probably only charge you $10 (if that) to install a slit in the topit as well.

Hope that helps. Smile
For Professional Real-World Routines, DVD's and Instant Downloads, Please Visit: www.AmazingGuyStore.com

New Items include: Topit-A-Go-Go, and Just Fate. Keep watching for more!
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Thanks, Thom!
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
311 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Hello all.
What's the difference between this and instant topit from Eric Leblon ?
ThomPeterson
View Profile
New user
UK & L.A.
20 Posts

Profile of ThomPeterson
I've only just been made of Eric's product. (Very nice guy by the way!) I could be wrong, but as I understand it his topit doesn't come with a topit(?).
For Professional Real-World Routines, DVD's and Instant Downloads, Please Visit: www.AmazingGuyStore.com

dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
311 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Yes Tom. It's a product that you can put on a topit, and if you want to change the topit, or if you have more than one, you can take it and put it in an other topit.

We just review it in "Le Magigazine", the french alter ego of the WMR.

With his product you have a booklet with his bottle production from the spectator sleeve.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
723 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Gee thanks Thom, more stuff to add to my Christmas List. "Lemon Drop" sounds cool though I still love "Lemonade Stand". Also, just a quick plug for Thom, he would make a great addition to a magic convention.
ThomPeterson
View Profile
New user
UK & L.A.
20 Posts

Profile of ThomPeterson
Just spoke (wrote) to Eric about his Instant Topit. Dedikc explained it pretty well. Eric seems like a really nice guy, and he and I just independently thought along the same lines. Naturally, I'm very attached to my topit. (Forgive the word-play.) But if you're serious about topit work, I would highly recommend you check out Eric's product as well.

RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
237 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
So for easy transfer between jackets could you use Eric and Thom' products together?
Let the Entertainment Commence!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Review of Thom Peterson’s Topit-A-Go-Go” (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL