The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ebola Situation - You knew This Would Happen! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
"Civil liberties activists, meanwhile, raised concerns about the constitutionality of the new rules, warning they could discourage health workers from volunteering to fight Ebola in Africa."

My take. The well being of our nation should trump curtailing civil liberties of certain individuals that may present a threat. The civil liberties can be restored when the threat is eliminated or found to be non-existent.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Depending on taking the general mood of your post

A. Would you surrender any and possibly all civil liberty of yours because the government declared it a threat to the country's well being?

Or the actual wording

B. The well being of our country does trump the curtailing of civil liberties. That's why liberties are protected in the land of the free.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I am trying to keep my thoughts focused without generalizations. My statements apply to the Ebola situation. I believe people who may have been exposed to Ebola, whether doing good, harm or otherwise should be quarantined for a period of time determined by those responsible and knowledgeable of how long that process may take. I feel that either voluntarily or involuntarily, they give up certain civil liberties upon their return from a potentially hazardous environment for the best interests of their country.
John

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It seems to me that if quarantine is a part of the medical procedure, it's not a violation of civil liberties its a part of what you sign up for at the beginning...it's an understanding you agree to.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well so long as you don't have any Nazi Muslim Brotherhood members in the administration, then I wouldn't worry too much about secret FEMA concentration camps they setting up all over the country, as quietly as possible.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Slowkneenuh, please provide a link to the entire article if you can.

One way to read that brief excerpt you posted is that it's not so much a question of civil liberties versus new rules, but that the new rules themselves may have very negative unintended health consequences.

Hard to tell without more of a context.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Tommy...Why have you become so intrigued and interested in Nazis lately?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well the family were attacked by the Nazi Muslim Brotherhood the other day and so we have declared war on them and this is just part of our propaganda campaign to get the yanks to join war in Birmingham.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, tommy wrote:
Well the family were attacked by the Nazi Muslim Brotherhood the other day and so we have declared war on them and this is just part of our propaganda campaign to get the yanks to join war in Birmingham.

OK then...
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
John

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the link slowkneenuh.

My take on what I read is that the ACLU's constitutional concerns are probably off base.

That said, I don't think that means the quarantine is necessarily a good idea. It does need to be a medical decision and not a political one. I tend to trust Doctors Without Borders on medical issues. If they say it's going to hamper efforts, then they probably have good reason to say so.

Clearly, the need for medical personnel to travel easily must be weighed against the possible negative health consequences here. The CDC has set some baseline guidelines that they claim are adequate. If we overestimate the need for quarantine, then we may be unwittingly extending the life of the virus by not getting enough health care professionals where they need to be in a timely manner.

Here in NYC, it doesn't seem as if people are overly concerned about the recently returned infected doctor. Most are fairly confident that the city's hospital system will respond well. Typical week, we take it all in stride.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I learned today that a person is ten times more likely to be bitten by a New Yorker than by a shark.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, critter wrote:
I learned today that a person is ten times more likely to be bitten by a New Yorker than by a shark.

Do love bites count? Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I learned that more people in this country have played the character "Batman" than people who have contracted Ebola.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
More people in America have been married to Larry King that have contracted ebola. We haven't quarantined him!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
On a somber note, I have become so suspicious of that the "machine" is doing that I feel that PARt of the hype about quarantining
is a test to see how much the American population will accept about "pubic need" over Private liberties.

One problem is that "public opinion" is used as a substitute for "public need." Sorry folks, "twitter count" is not a valid poll of anything.

The only thing we can no for certain is that people who own a computer, have a lot of free time and choose to post things on Twitter and YouTube have some paranoia about something. No wonder!

This can also be a test of who to vote for. The more a politician makes unsupported statements in reaction to "public opinion" the more you should dump them.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, critter wrote:

I didn't realize that shark bites were so common.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
More people in America have been married to Larry King that have contracted ebola. We haven't quarantined him!

Yes, but we've regretted it ever since.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The hyped media panic about Ebola exactly mirrors the A.I.D.S. situation in the mid-80's.

Remember the words of Göring at Nurenburg:

Göring: Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.

Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.

Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And in other news, the CDC admits that Ebola can be spread through coughing, sneezing, or touching an infected surface such as a doorknob, as thousands of nurses prepare to strike over their hospitals' lack of preparedness and training.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ebola Situation - You knew This Would Happen! (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL