The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Diminishing silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Hi guys,

where can I learn this routine from? I heard marvin roy had a video on it, but I couldn't find the video anywhere. and does McBride's magic on stage vol.2 cover this routine? lastly, does this routine require any special gimmicks or I only just have to buy the silks and follow the instructions?

any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thxs,
yujie
never try, never know
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Marvin Roys tape is available from Steven Magic, he uses all the same size silks.

Yes it is the same on McBride tape also.

No, there is no gimmciks.

The original is published by Rice Studio's, in the booklet Diminishing Silks.

Bill Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The diminishing silk routine that Bill mentions is an excellent routine. A silk is snapped in mid air and a second slightly smaller silk appears tied to it. This is repeated a number of times with the appearance of a smaller and smaller silk. The booklet does mention how to do the effect keeping all the appearing silks the same size.

Pat Page does a different version of the diminishing handkerchief. His version is more like a diminishing card routine. A silk handkerchief is shown and pushed into the fist; a wave of the hand and the silk is pulled out and displayed markedly smaller. This is repeated each time the silk gets noticeably smaller and smaller until the silk vanishes. Only one silk is seen.

The first routine is really the production of several silks each smaller than the one before. The second routine is shrinking and vanishing silk routine. Both are similar in premise but entirely different presentations.

Both are technically easy to perform and in fact are close to self-working (as if any trick is really self working!).

You can find the Pat Page trick on his tape “25 Super Tricks” (L & L Publishing).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Thxs murphy, you r such a great help again. I read somewhere which states that: the last smallest silk is then transformed into a 36-inch silk. I think it is on rice's website. I wonder if it is possible to do this after getting Pat Page's video? n do the silks need to be opaque, because mine is a bit transparent?

thxs,
yujie
never try, never know
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
With only a little thought and a slight modification to the final handling you could end up by producing a 36-inch silk scarf (or larger) using the Page routine. For example, you could look at some of the Jack Chanin silk production techniques. He did basically a bare handed six-foot silk production. Easiest to find reference is “The Man With The Magic Hands”. It has his whole silk act (amongst other items). Denny has it at: http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=005695

You cannot go from small silk to a large one in the Rice routine (flicking the silk and having one appear tied to it).

At to opaqueness of silk, the Rice version requires that the silk be opaque while it doesn’t make any difference in the Page routine. The Page version only requires that the silks be the same color.
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Is this also found in patrick page's thumbtip video, harry?

thxs
never try, never know
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
He does have a Diminishing Handkerchief listed on the Thumbtip video. I have not watched that video in years (since it original release from Vic Pino). I’ll have to check it out! They may be the same.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi magician81:

I believe the original Rice diminishing silk routine is in the booklet "Capers with Colors" which you can still get through their website.

The original routine did end with the small silk changing into a 36 inch silk, but involves a simple body load. So, the routine would progress like Roy's or McBrides with the snapping out of the silks. Then at the end, the small silk is displayed and visually turned into the 36 inch silk (body load silk).

Ron
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Marconik put out a gimmicked version thru Magic Inc, Chicago, ILL.

Bill
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Checked out the two Pat Page videos that have his Diminishing Silk routine. The videos are “Thumb Tip” and “25 Super Tricks”.

Short answer is YES they are the same trick and routine.

Interestingly it looks like the “25 Super Tricks” is a compilation of snippets and short takes and informal almost home movies. I think they were short bits that were used in a short-lived video magic magazine. Anyway, the Pat Page on “25 Super Tricks” is a half dozen years younger than the Pat Page on the “Thumb Tip” video! Years passed between the two filming. Yet you will see Page do the trick move for move exactly the same. It is clear that he has used the trick for years before the first filming and has blocked out all the handling and pared it down to its essentials. But then Mr. Page is the quintessential professional

The older version actually gives you a few more handling tips (i.e., how to roll the silk) than the new version.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Diminishing silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL