The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Trick Is Best to Start With In Mark Wilson Book? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rjsmith608
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rjsmith608
So I am getting back into magic after a long hiatus. I have the Mark Wilson Complete Course In Magic book and was wondering, being I am starting over which trick is the best trick to start with in the whole book?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Where does one begin?" said Alice to the White Queen. "Why, at the beginning of course!" said the White Queen.

Watch out for "them" hiatuses (long or short)

It's YOUR book! You are allowed to start wherever you wish!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
Yeah as Dick said it's entirely up to you! I would suggest looking over the pages of the book until you find something interesting, and then learn it! Just learn the tricks you'd like and a few you don't or just however you want. There really is no right answer to this question except, "You should start the book wherever you think you should and wherever you want to start."
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
What props do you have? That'll help inform your decision.

My suggestion, which is only a suggestion, is to start with cards and sponge balls (for which you'll need to reference some of the coin sleights). Spongeballs are a good place to develop sleight of hand, and cards ... Well cards are cards Smile. Both cheap props with lots of potential.
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
Start with whatever interests you. I'd say cards as I believe cards are the fundamental steps to learning how to perform.
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, rjsmith608 wrote:
So I am getting back into magic after a long hiatus. I have the Mark Wilson Complete Course In Magic book and was wondering, being I am starting over which trick is the best trick to start with in the whole book?

Read it and do what grabs you. How should we know what rocks your boat or what your goals are? Are you wanting to do stage or close up? There are points where others can help you....this isn't one of them. In contrast to everyone else I would consider leaving the cards alone....doing non card tricks (as an opener) would differentiate you others, everyone knows someone who can perform one card trick (usually badly). Do a different trick first and then when you have gained credibility then do your card trick.....unless of course you are awesome with cards.
Let the Entertainment Commence!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Trick Is Best to Start With In Mark Wilson Book? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL