The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Bowling Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Ok. I've run out of ideas for the Kevin James bowling ball pad. I grew tired of producing the bowling ball, and after a while it didn't seem to fit into my act anymore. I had to ask myself, of all the things to produce, why a bowling ball? For schools, I started producing a globe after talking about unity etc...And for Halloween, I've been producing severed heads. I've done small watermelon. I need something new. When I am out shopping, I find myself always looking for something that will fit in the gimmick and that is clearly solid to get the right effect. I would like to produce something that can actually be used in a routine later. Anyone have any comedy ideas?
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
A Large Crystal Ball maybe?

I was thinking a balloon, but that wouldn't be too impressive.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Yikes...Crystal Ball? I don't get paid enough to risk that yet.

Thanks
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Monkey magic on uk tv did a duck!
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
How about a pinata. You could custome make the size and put whatever you want in it. Maybe a torn and restored bill or card where you have the spectator beat the heck out of the pinata, this should be good for laughs,then havean orange an apple a banana and a lemon fall out. You then force let's say the orange and find the card or bill inside.
Or better yet have a latex dove that they think was beat into a coma and then bring it back to life with a production of a real dove. Not for everyone but I wanted to get the juices flowing

Cheers
Cabrera
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How about a bowling ball?

Heavy, solid, surprising, makes a hellava impression!

What more do you want?

Bill Smile
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Boy what a great idea Bill. Why didn't I think of that?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Chris,

I don't know it just came to me all of a sudden!

Bill
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Can you juggle a bowling ball? I am sure you have great reasons as to why you want to do something else with Kevins' effect (Or it may just be the artist in you). But this effect is to darn good to change around it's fool proof and no matter how many times I've seen it done and performed it, the audience reaction is always the same...AMAZED!!
They think How can a real bowling ball be hidden in a pad of papper it's just not possible. Though I do like your globe idea, a globe doesn't weigh 8 pounds. Watermelon would be great if you drop it and have it smash the floor but then your more like Galagher so in my hummble opinion I think you might be trying to re-invent the wheel. Get all your moneys worth out of this effect come up with better jokes or lines or reason to perform this...It's A material already try and make it an A++ So that you are not bored with this effect!!
Best Wishes, Chris
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Christopher,
How about a fiasco Chianti bottle?

It's round, wrapped in straw to prevent breakage, and it can be filled with colored liquid (or even wine! LOL).

It has a double-whammy of being round and obviously not being able to fit in the case; and how do you produce the liquid if the bottle somehow flattens out?

I've done it and literally years later the people who saw it are still talking about it and still baffled.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Thanks Peter. I like that and it would go great with my Italian dinner strolling engagements which are very popular lately. I'm sure I can come up with a great way to work that in. Thanks again.

I agree that the bowling ball itself is great. I just want to personalize more for my show. I mean if you could draw anything and have it appear, why would it be a bowling ball? It does get a great reaction. In fact I really work it by using the pad the entire show and then producing it halfway through after I have been writing other things. I'm actually working on a method to do cardiographic, bowling, and animated pad at different points during the show with what appears to be the same pad.
Aroy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Aroy
How about a full face helmet? and you could then go straight into your favourite transposition routine ...;-)

ROY
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Do you mean a football helmet? That would be great. Hats are a huge part of my show and lead to my surprise ending. That would be a perfect way to introduce one for safety during the next trick. Thanks Roy!
Aroy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Aroy
How about a motorbike helmet Chris?
Cheers!

ROY

And if you are into sports....the obvious basketball,
soccer ball, football...etc!

ROY
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Chris,

I still agree with C Christian. But you avoided his well written explanition.

Bill
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
As I agreed with him above, the bowling ball itself is great. I'm just trying to find alternatives and be a bit creative so that it actually fits into my entire production. Although it gets a great reaction, it makes no sense for my character to produce a bowling ball. I would much rather take the idea and personalize it for my show and audience.

Just trying to spark some creative ideas. All I have locally is a club of chavez graduates that don't believe in personalizing presentation in any way with any effect. If it says you finish the trick and pose with the thumb touching the center of the chest, that thumb better be touching the chest. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the art of magic is all about creativity and connecting with the audience.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Hey Christopher,
I totally agree with you on making magic your very own. Thus incorperating the pad with other effects sounds like a great idea. If you use the pad to do a trick that kills then do something later with the same pad and have a football helmet drop out of the pad and then do some other trick with the pad. Sounds great, but trust me no matter how entertianing you are, you will have weakend one if not all of these effects. Take it from a pro (and I don't mean me) watch all the great magicians on tv. and ones that have there own shows in vegas or ones that you admire. You'll notice that some may have, "call backs" but not such as this. I have to agree with you that it is all about connecting with the audience. So go out there and do your thing. Heck you might prove me wrong.
Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Bowling Ball (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL