The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPearing Soon... » » City Prediction by SOMA (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of daniltan
No Robvs, Greg can write anything he wants in this forum. And City Prediction price fix doesn't has anything to do with him in the first place. He just sounded his opinion. Like right now I sound my opinion. And maybe you just read a comment and decided to flow with it. That's my opinion too..

Because I also read this..

Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, pegasus wrote:
It was Greg Rostami that convinced the owners to increase the price so that his bumper method would not be exposed to the merely curious. Makes sense. It's certainly worth the money I believe. I get the spec to input the their chosen city / place / street name into my phone, too, stating that this eliminates the use of voice recognition. When they return my phone I look pleasantly surprised, press enter, point to an interesting fact and walk away, pointing to their phone. It's a killer effect.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Daniltan,

I can appreciate your efforts but you're not the authority to give someone legal permission to hinder the free marketplace. I'm not a troll who clung onto one comment. I've been reading his posts and he's pulled no punches about publicly encouraging businesses to conspire to raise prices. I could provide many quotes, but go ahead and do your own research. Some may argue that his words of price increase encouragement have directly led to an immediate price increase- shady and potentially illegal- regardless of the forum and nature of business.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Robvs,

I see your point. I'll keep my eye and my mind open for this.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1116 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Robvs,

I understand how high prices would frustrate you, but I think many of us feel that there is something larger in play.

Keeping secrets out of the hands of the merely curious
A relatively *new* market of magic effects (apps) and the yet to be decided marketplace/profitability that comes with expensing the creation of these apps out - how can new effects continue to come out if profit isn't realized?

Issues like these (IMO) outweigh the concerns of the few AS LONG as the prices are within reason. Hell, even if they weren't, I'm SURE the market would determine the app was too expensive and no one would purchase it anyway!

When push comes to shove, do you GENUINELY feel like $15 is too expensive for a great effect? Think about how much garbage is out there at much higher prices...

Your view, while having merit, seems to be very consumer-centric. I see both sides of the issue. If it were a perfect world, the apps would be cheap, only magicians would download them, and all the developers would make profit...but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case at this time....
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2597 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Robvs I think you're failing to see my point ...

I don't know if your comments like "shady and potentially illegal" are intentionally insulting or not, but I don't appreciate it.

I have almost 6 years of experience in this market.

When it comes to my fellow app developers I have one of two choices:

1. I can either give them no advice about my experience and watch them price their product so low that they won't survive.
2. Or I can give them advice about what my experience has shown to be a working price model.

I haven't forced anyone to raise the price of their apps ... I'm simply stating basic business facts.
In small markets (like magic or nuclear submarines) the price of the product is high because the market is small (not too many people need a nuclear submarine).

Your argument about "hinder the free marketplace" is a moot point ...
A magic trick is not a necessity like food or transportation.
Even if I could convince everyone to raise their prices, if a trick is "expensive" then you won't buy it.

Since you have so much experience in this market and are very business savvy, I suggest you create a magic app and put it out for $0.99 or free.

I'm certain that because of your lower prices you'll dominate this market and put me and other magic app developers out of business.

all the best,
Greg Rostami
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Greg,

The law makes no provisions for targeting a niche market when it comes to price fixing and collusion, nor does your level of experience legitimize such a practice.

What you're doing is price fixing, no matter how you shake it. The justification you attempt to provide further exemplifies the definition of "price fixing." According to the Federal Trade Commission, price fixing has occurred "immediately upon solicitation of competing sellers with the intent to coordinate pricing for mutual benefit of the traders." So think twice before you pat yourself on the back for helping your competitors to profit off of your price model by encouraging "everyone to raise their prices."

I have a right to insult you through facts once you've flagrantly disregarded the laws of free trade in this country in a semi-public forum, and once you bite the hands of those who feed you by keeping the product prices of you and your competitors high. I find it insulting that you are attempting to artificially drive up prices.

If you wish to have a third party determine whether or not my points about your collusion and price fixing are "moot," we can open up an FTC inquiry and have them decide if you like? Or maybe it's a good time to concede and go back to peddling smell-o-vision.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, DynaMix wrote:

Keeping secrets out of the hands of the merely curious



I appreciate the dialogue, and I can appreciate a real paradox at hand here: How do you preserve the secrets of effects while attempting to profit from it? The answer is that you can't always. But the consumer has no obligation to "fix this" dilemma.

This does not mean that the consumer needs to "take it on the chin" and sit back while others conspire to illegally drive up the price of their products in the name of preserving secrets and feeding families.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
On a side note (or back to the main note), is there a thread where this effect is being discussed further? I'm interested in hearing others' justification for Googling the city. My "go to" patter involves a discussion about the weather in that city, but when they name a neighboring city, my patter isn't as powerful (though they never notice that what I'm saying is ridiculous). Not sure that I can make the suggested "population" justification into something relevant.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2015, magicmind wrote:
Purchased this. Turks and Caicos is located at 50 aurora ct in Toronto? Wow?


How about you try typing in a CITY next time in the CITY Prediction app?

However, there are some ways to get other results. I have successfully predicted the genre of takeout food that the spectator wants delivered, the name of my spectator's wedding venue, a landmark, a country, a state, a bar, and a city. But there are "tricks" to this.

Try typing "Turks and Caicos Isands" instead of "Turks and Caicos"
"Pizza restaurant near Southampton, NY"
"Plaza hotel NYC" instead of Plaza Hotel
Kansas City, MI instead of "Kansas City"
Statue of Liberty NYC instead of...

Specifying these things helps prevent errors such as pinning Kansas City, Kansas instead of Kansas City, Missouri.
I hope this helps.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2597 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Wow, Robvs knows the law too!!

The next time my fellow app developer friends call me for advice about the price of their app, I will refuse to answer them because Robvs has informed me of the "law".

Please report me to the FTC so that I can be arrested for "price fixing" and "flagrantly disregarding the laws of free trade in this country".
But until I see the cops at my front door carry me away in handcuffs, all your words will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks for that good laugh, Smile
Greg Rostami
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1116 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I have a strange feeling this app will become mainstream which would BE HORRIBLE for all of the other apps using similar methodology.

Just googling the right combo brings up this thread, the ellusionist website etc.

As far as justification I do it 2 ways - one way they never even see what I google, it's a bold faced lie which I wrote up earlier using another routine. The other method has to do with psi forcing an additional city which is written on my palm. Both ways the use of my iPhone isn't tupically remembered. I think it's a mistake to do this effect solo, just my opinion.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, DynaMix wrote:
I have a strange feeling this app will become mainstream which would BE HORRIBLE for all of the other apps using similar methodology.

Just googling the right combo brings up this thread, the ellusionist website etc.

As far as justification I do it 2 ways - one way they never even see what I google, it's a bold faced lie which I wrote up earlier using another routine. The other method has to do with psi forcing an additional city which is written on my palm. Both ways the use of my iPhone isn't tupically remembered. I think it's a mistake to do this effect solo, just my opinion.


Interested in your first method. Where can I hear more about it?
No doubt that having an assistant makes the effect absolutely killer. I do, however, think it's completely manageable to fry them as an individual. It's probably dependent on presentation style. It can be weird to bust out your phone and start googling if you're the type of magician whose other effects are more "straight to the point" rather than "conversational." For me, I actually can't envision a scenario where someone is working in cahoots with me. Or "colluding" with me.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, Greg Rostami wrote:
Wow, Robvs knows the law too!!

The next time my fellow app developer friends call me for advice about the price of their app, I will refuse to answer them because Robvs has informed me of the "law".

Please report me to the FTC so that I can be arrested for "price fixing" and "flagrantly disregarding the laws of free trade in this country".
But until I see the cops at my front door carry me away in handcuffs, all your words will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks for that good laugh, Smile
Greg Rostami


If you wish to further discuss the inquiry I established with the United States Department of Justice: Antitrust Division today, we can do it in a private message as to not continue hijacking this thread and diverting attention from legitimate on-topic discussion. If you need to have the last word and what you think is the last laugh publicly...go ahead.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2597 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Robvs ... I don't wanna waste any more of my time.

I want to apologize to Soma and gyorkop for even entertaining your ridiculous argument on this thread with a reply.

Robvs, you're welcome to report me to any law enforcement you wish.
Why stop with the USDOJ ... send an inquiry to the FTC, FBI, CIA ... let them all know ... waste more of your life putting this horrible criminal behind bars!

Thanks again for the laughs. My friends and family have been THOROUGHLY entertained!! Smile
Greg Rostami
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1116 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, Robvs wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, DynaMix wrote:
I have a strange feeling this app will become mainstream which would BE HORRIBLE for all of the other apps using similar methodology.

Just googling the right combo brings up this thread, the ellusionist website etc.

As far as justification I do it 2 ways - one way they never even see what I google, it's a bold faced lie which I wrote up earlier using another routine. The other method has to do with psi forcing an additional city which is written on my palm. Both ways the use of my iPhone isn't tupically remembered. I think it's a mistake to do this effect solo, just my opinion.


Interested in your first method. Where can I hear more about it?
No doubt that having an assistant makes the effect absolutely killer. I do, however, think it's completely manageable to fry them as an individual. It's probably dependent on presentation style. It can be weird to bust out your phone and start googling if you're the type of magician whose other effects are more "straight to the point" rather than "conversational." For me, I actually can't envision a scenario where someone is working in cahoots with me. Or "colluding" with me.


It's on page 1 of this thread...

We just had this discussion in my mentalism group - my personal belief is that I NEVER do an effect relying on phone technology by itself...to me its like a modern billet - If I do a billet tear and immediately reveal whats on it, there's only so many ways to go from point A to B...
If I couple the phone WITH something else, I just find the mixing of effects and methods helps disguise and blend everything. Instead of thinking in terms of "what can I get away with" I try to think in terms of "what is the most subtle use of this technology..."

Just my opinion...
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
I think that this is a popular debate. Is there a such thing as "too perfect" to the point that all signs point to only one possible culprit? A friend of mine dresses up his invisible deck routine, involving a second deck of cards, a selection, etc. I always liked eliminating the thoughts in the spectator's mind "it's a f*rc*," etc. Others prefer to dress it up to keep them guessing.

One school of thought wants them to think there are no solutions, the other wants them to think there are a million solutions- but none quite right.

On a related note, I've been killing with City Prediction. However, I'm getting a lot of people who poorly guess "It's the microphone, voice activation." Now I know that this doesn't explain ANYTHING, but I absolutely hate it when simple minded people come up with a half-cocked solution in their head and would pass a lie detector test stating that they figured out your trick. It's terrible to have to say, "That's one way you could try to do it." or to challenge a recreation of the effect. In their minds, they've eliminated all possibilities and pulled a ridiculous suggestion into what they think is reality.

I've been experimenting with little tidbits to my patter such as, "We're doing a lot of talking here, there's no way that you're microphone would be able to distinguish which of our words is your chosen city, right?" While I HATE this- it seems to get a better reaction.

I've also found that changing the spectator's default map type to "standard," rather than the other two selections, helps with potential poor signal lag.
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
Hey Guys,

Just to make it clear: developing an App like teleFoto or City Prediction takes a lot of time and money. Just think about prototyping, testing, doing graphical work, developing, shooting/editing video, maintaining the server, paying developer license and Apple's share, doing promotion, etc.

We raised the price because of the following reasons:

- We would like to keep away those who are only interested in finding out the secret
- We believe that a good quality app should cost more than $0.99
- Only a "higher" price gives us the chance to develop further apps

These apps are magic props so if you are willing to pay 20 bucks for a special deck of cards then in my opinion $15.99 is not much for City Prediction.

Peter
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1116 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Completely agree Peter. Great app and great thinking.
The Perceptionist
View Profile
New user
Hollywood,CA
19 Posts

Profile of The Perceptionist
ROBVUS,

Are you just bored and stirring stuff up? If not, you have serious mental issues! I've noticed you've been all over the boards trolling, I'm thinking you just got out of a relationship and your heart broken? Seriously.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, Robvs wrote:
I think that this is a popular debate. Is there a such thing as "too perfect" to the point that all signs point to only one possible culprit? A friend of mine dresses up his invisible deck routine, involving a second deck of cards, a selection, etc. I always liked eliminating the thoughts in the spectator's mind "it's a f*rc*," etc. Others prefer to dress it up to keep them guessing.

One school of thought wants them to think there are no solutions, the other wants them to think there are a million solutions- but none quite right.

On a related note, I've been killing with City Prediction. However, I'm getting a lot of people who poorly guess "It's the microphone, voice activation." Now I know that this doesn't explain ANYTHING, but I absolutely hate it when simple minded people come up with a half-cocked solution in their head and would pass a lie detector test stating that they figured out your trick. It's terrible to have to say, "That's one way you could try to do it." or to challenge a recreation of the effect. In their minds, they've eliminated all possibilities and pulled a ridiculous suggestion into what they think is reality.

I've been experimenting with little tidbits to my patter such as, "We're doing a lot of talking here, there's no way that you're microphone would be able to distinguish which of our words is your chosen city, right?" While I HATE this- it seems to get a better reaction.

I've also found that changing the spectator's default map type to "standard," rather than the other two selections, helps with potential poor signal lag.



This post implies that you may have to play with the spectator's phone AFTER the prediction is shown to reset default settings ?
If this is true, then having to touch the phone again before the spectator puts their phone away may be an issue ?

Is this true ?
Long Island,

New York
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPearing Soon... » » City Prediction by SOMA (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL