The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 81: Making Contact -Satori (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
I have performed hundreds of time a contact mind reading effect as part of a stage psychometry routine, and Making Contact did not provide me with anything new… no patter, no presentation, no methods, no outs, no nothing: just the basic concept and filler examples.

In front of negative reviews, people seem compelled to attack the reviewer, instead of defending the products’ features. Mark, your post is insightful: sure I wouldn’t trust a kid who just started in magic. But if this kid honestly provides a fact on a specific product (such as “the Mega Ultra Perfect Thumb Tip is actually green”), his opinion is still much more valuable than the one of a big name, say, Ian Rowland LoL, generally stating “This Mega Ultra Perfect Thumb Tip is worth his weight in gold” just because he’s a friend of the manufacturer
Adam
View Profile
Regular user
UK
103 Posts

Profile of Adam
Quote:

Re the second clause in the above quote: "let those with a critical eye have their critical voice." Let's think about that for a moment; are you suggesting that only includes Harvey and those who agree with him? My criticism of Harvey's reviews is every bit as valid as anything he, or anyone for that matter, has to say.

That would be true if this was a forum for reviewing reviewers, which it isn't. We should encourage critcism of products/books/dvds or videos, not people who voluntarily review these items.
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
I can't refrain from posting two quotes from my favorite film Superman:

"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe."

"Lord,you gave them eyes,but they see not!"

They are both by Lex Luthor but I'm sure it is just a coincidence...
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2004-02-05 07:14, lastnitesfun wrote:
I just think that products need to be tested if you're going to review them. READING this book is not enough. Reading, trying, and performing the material inside of it would give you the background to write a credible review.

Lastnitesfun, you are stating a legitimate fact, and I addressed the issue in the previous posts.

If I may add one last thing, it is virtually impossible to perform everything you buy before reviewing it… And the more discerning you become, the lower the ratio between purchased and performed stuff. It’s around 0.1% for me (optimistically…)

H.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Quote:
On 2004-02-05 07:14, lastnitesfun wrote:
Sometimes I agree with your reviews, but most time I don't. That's okay. We're obviously different people.

It is impossible to agree with everything he writes; Lex Luthor reminds us we are all different LoL

Personally, I searched for HN reviews of stuff I already owned (sometimes just for fun, as Bill Cushman pointed out), and while occasionally dissenting with the overall ratings (for example, Pure Effect or Flickers) I always found the justifications provided accurate and trustworthy.

The negative comments often come from people who had their creations criticized… [cough]
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Hello,

Excuse me,I have read a number of messages in the Café,but I am still unclear on something:what is the difference between muscle reading,contact mind reading and hellstronism?

A friend of my brother did the following effect at a birthday party:somebody hid a gift in the living room.He took her wrist,asked her to concentrate on the directions,followed her and found the gift.

My brother told me it was muscle reading,is this correct?

But this seems like the effects I have seen described above,called contact mind reading or hellstronism?

In any case,instead of “Making contact”,which book or DVD would you suggest for a beginner,in order to perform the effect I described?I would prefer a video instead of a book,if possible.

I mean I am not a beginner in magic,but I do not know anything about this:I would only like to learn this particular effect.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Rebecca
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Rebecca, it is all the same thing. satori's book is regarded by many as the best starting tool. corinda also has about 4 pages dedicated to this technique in his 13 steps. and Banachek has an excellent book out as well.
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-02-10 18:42, david_a_whitehead wrote:
Rebecca, it is all the same thing.

Everything is much clearer now…

Thank you Mr. Whitehead!

Rebecca
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Rebecca-

Have your Brother's friend start to teach you...since he is a successful practitioner, he will teach you more than most books at the git-go...after you have the basics, start buying books (or, better yet, borrow the friend's books.)

A lady doing this would be a killer act...Get some Lulu Hurst stuff going and a bit of mentalism and you're a headliner!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2004-02-10 18:19, Rebecca Travis wrote:
A friend of my brother did the following effect at a birthday party:somebody hid a gift in the living room.He took her wrist,asked her to concentrate on the directions,followed her and found the gift.

In any case,instead of “Making contact”,which book or DVD would you suggest for a beginner,in order to perform the effect I described?

The effect you mention will be described in Making Contact Vol. 3: in vol.2, it takes place during the Christmas holidays.

Seriously Rebecca, I would second Tom’s recommendation (if your brother’s friend accepts to teach you). Also check the Georgia Magnet stuff, Tom knows what he’s talking about Smile

Otherwise, it all depends on your budget… Since you are only interested in this specific CMR effect, you may want to spend a few dollars on Nelson’s Hellstromism to understand the basic method. After that, if you like these stunts, the next step could be Psycho-physiological Thoughts.

Good luck,

H.
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-02-13 05:28, Harvey Nerzof wrote:
The effect you mention will be described in Making Contact Vol. 3: in vol.2, it takes place during the Christmas holidays.

LOL thanks because the Nevada setting you mentioned earlier was not suitable to my style!!LOL

My brother just ordered Hellstronism (only 5$).By the way Mr. Nerzof thank you again for all your reviews!

Mr. Jorgenson,I “can’t” ask that person to teach me.But I already perform strength feats,and I’m actually becoming interested in “real” mentalism…Did you read my mind or what?

Thanks again to everybody for the indications,

Rebecca
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
In an earlier post in this thread, Highmagic suggests that I sometimes recommend things highly because the inventor or seller is a friend of mine.

The ostensible theme or purpose of this here forum is 'Magicians helping magicians', and the reason Steve and Mya and the team work as hard as they do run this, the finest magic forum on the web, is because they hope, just hope, that now again the people posting to it might understand the point and actually help one another. Personally, I fail to see what ignorant slurs on my character, or anyone else's, have to do with magicians helping magicians. I have faith that highmagic has better contributions to offer, and I remain puzzled as to how he claims to know my character, and to know that I post biased reviews based on friendship?

I'm not getting defensive, as I have nothing to get defensive about. But just for the record, any reviews or recommendations that I publish are my true and honest opinion, and I don't allow friendship to influence what I say. If I like a magic trick or book or product, I sometimes say so. If I don't, I generally keep my mouth shut.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Ian, sorry if you misunderstood my post – I highly value your work (FF on Cold Reading is my favorite book on the subject), and was not questioning your integrity here. However, I bought a few items based on your recommendations and couldn’t believe that a man with your magical knowledge could honestly endorse such products!

Please check a recent example (Marc Paul’s lecture notes) here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 81: Making Contact -Satori (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL