The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Finally got the ******* (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Thanks, Bob. It will be interesting to follow this. I certainly hope the defense can't find a loophole, but watched Westside Story not long ago, and worry about an "Officer Krupke" judge or jury...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Purely as an academic exercise, though, defending a case like this is far more interesting and challenging to me than prosecuting it. If I was appointed to represent this guy I probably would mount an insanity or diminished capacity defense.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Who wouldn't plead insanity if they appointed Bob to represent them? Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Nice to know that I can always count on tommy for a gratuitous cheap shot. Smile

(But I did have a significantly above average percentage of acquittals- so they weren't that crazy.)
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, I trust the two of you are friends who are sharpening your sarcasm skills, but it was a funny line- mostly because it seemed too pure to be a dig...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes- Tommy and I enjoy insulting each other. (That's the reason for the smiley faces.)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Incidentally Bob, speaking of lawyers, there is a group of lawyers calling themselves the “magic circle” and to join the magic number is earning a £million+ a year. I don't think its right or legal for them to call themselves the “magic circle”. My old chef was telling me yesterday. He has just applied to chef for one of these “magic circle” law firms.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

That's pretty funny. Especially considering that there are lots of ambulance chasers (personal injury lawyers) here in the states who make that kind of money just by settling cases out of court and farming out the ones that need to go to trial. (taking a percentage of any proceeds, however)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well that is what he said but it looks like they are earning more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Circle_%28law%29

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I had some inside info on this that I could not share until he was caught. The authorities had picked up this guys laptop a while ago and the information on the laptop shows that this guy has been planning this for over THREE Years!

Death Penalty well deserved!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Book deal? No. "Son of Sam" laws prevent convicted criminals from profiting from books they've written about their crimes. Recall that all of the proceeds of OJ Simpson's book "If I Did It" went to the Goldman family.

And, actually, the journal will likely prove that he wasn't insane at all. Insanity is a legal concept, not a psychological one. If the journal shows, as I believe it does, that he fully understood the nature and consequences of his acts, it would hinder, not help, an insanity defense.

Partly the book deal thought flowed from thinking that "not guilty by reason of insanity" would allow for it. I am no attorney, but assume (I know, I know) that SOS laws would only apply to guilty verdicts. I also wonder how such state laws would fare against First amendment rights of free speech.

I don't understand the "insanity is a legal concept, not..."? I didn't realize that psychiatrists and psychologists testify only with regard as to whether or not the defendant fully understands the nature and consequences of his acts, with no regard to how inhuman or egregious they are. If you would explain this more fully, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Jim

To elaborate on Bob's response, it means that a great many mental illnesses won't absolve you of criminal liability.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Exactly. You could be an extreme sociopath with schizophrenia but, if at the time of the offense, you are found to have understood the nature and consequences of your act, an insanity defense will not prevail.
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
Being from Pennsylvania, this thread is of interest to me. Pennsylvania ranks fourth in the number of inmates on death row (behind California, Florida, and Texas). Pennsylvania has imposed approximately 412 death sentences since the death penalty was reinstated in 1978. Only three prisoners have actually been executed since then, and all three waived at least part of their appeals. There have been no executions in Pennsylvania since 1999. Over 60% of all death sentences imposed in the commonwealth have been overturned by state or federal courts; 190 prisoners remain on death row, and many of those are likely to have their cases reversed, too. I don't see that the case currently under discussion here will fair any differently, even though the victims were state troopers.
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Finally got the ******* (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL