The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Your ultimate beginner box (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Hi folks,

If you could put together a beginner magic box from any resources with a total cost of not more than, say, about 150 dollars, what would you put in that box?
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Sponge balls, rope, silks, a few decks of bicycle cards. Mark Wilson book on magic. A medium quality set of cups and balls. Find the type of magic you enjoy from the book and purchase any other small accessories needed. Purchase the book "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber, he will teach you about the importance of performance and developing a routine, not just doing a trick (beginners typically focus on just learning another trick instead of focusing on learning to entertain with the trick they already know - very important concept) At least that is how I wish I had spent my first $150
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

That sounds so familiar wwhokie! It's like you read my mind ...

If I was going to be specific, I wish someone had given me in my first week of being interested in magic:

A close-up mat and decent mirror

Two decks of Phoenix cards (red/blue backed)
A small selection of gaff cards (DBers and a sh**t card)
Gerry Griffin's Complete Card Magic DVD set
The Royal Road to Card Magic
The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
Si St***ins Unplugged ebook

Four spongeballs
Daryl's Essentials Spongeball DVD

Some magicians rope
Richard Sanders' Fibreoptics DVD

Richard Sanders' Turbostick with DVD

Mark Wilson's Complete Magic Course book
Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment

I think you could probably just about get that lot for about 150 dollars. Smile. And would have saved me a lot of time!
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Starting out I would even skip the close-up mat, to help keep it under 150. Use a high quality thick hand towel that you probably have around the house, not ideal but on a budget it will get you by until you have more money to spend. I do like the phoenix cards, but suggested bicycle simply to keep the price down.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Maybe, but I enjoy having a close-up mat - mine was very cheap. And I the UK, at least, Phoenix isn't really expensive.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
This is what I did for my nephew.

Brick of bicycle cards ($15 CostCo)
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic ($20)
Four sponge balls ($7)
In expensive C&B set ($25)

Less than $100 and got him started. Then, depending on interest, will add one thing at a time. Too easy to get distracted with all the options in magic.

Hudson
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

That's a nice set, Hudson Smile
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1575 Posts

Profile of Ihop
And a TT
Ihor
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I forgot to add that I had a wand included - 12" panted dowel from craft store. Can't recall if I had a TT. If not, I should have Smile
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Maybe, but I enjoy having a close-up mat - mine was very cheap. And I the UK, at least, Phoenix isn't really expensive.

Agree, but just trying to keep it in the price range.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
There was a similar question asked a few weeks back. Basically the poster wanted recommendations on where to find a magic set that would have quality props priced at $300. My response was that there is nothing really wrong with the effects in toy magic sets, but the props are toy props. One could simply make a list of the effects offered in several sets and then find quality versions of the same effects online or in a brick and mortar store. But stuff until you reach $300, or in this case $150, and you would have an appropriate professional magic set.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Well, if its Mentalism, just get a few books, and then use the last $100 to get a Staples gift card. Smile I say that with love of course.

However, I think a really decent kid would be Mark Wilson's book, then some playing cards, and a gimmicked deck with the same design, a decent cups and balls set, a close up mat, TT, rope, decent wand. Cause then you could do....

Cut and Restored Rope
Professors Nightmare (presented as part explanation of CnR rope)
Make a dollar bill vanish
A few card tricks: (I'd start set for something self working, then something else, then the gimmicked deck, close the card tricks with that)
Paper balls over the head
Cups and Balls, with Bill in Lemon kicker.

That would be a great beginner set.
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
I would say Mark Wilson's Complete Guide, a decent, yet somewhat cheap cups and balls, a TT, set of ropes, set of sponge balls and a deck or two of bikes. This is similar to what I started with and it makes a great beginning set to delve into the wonderful world of magic. This is quite similar to what everyone else has said so I hope we're all giving you a good idea Smile
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
669 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Two decks of cards, one of Harry Lorayne's books, a couple coins, and an Al Schneider book (probably his On Coins).
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
2 Decks of Bicycles..one red & one blue
4 red sponge balls
a thumb tip and a red 9" silk
a hank of white rope
4 half dollars
1 Invisible deck
Tarbell #1
Harry Lorayne's Magic Book
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
I would buy the following:

Card C0llege
RRTCM
A close up mat
A few decks of phoenix
An OKish cups&balls set
An ID
(I hope that fits the price)
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
MadLad Designs
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MadLad Designs
+1 for the Invisible Deck there charliemartin, it's great as an 'out' in case any card tricks goes wrong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Your ultimate beginner box (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL