The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Gali-Gali 2 (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Gali-Gali shared some ideas about American eating habits that are not relevant here except as they relate to the difficulties of “living on the road” for a performer. More relevant …

“Yes I eat eggs and chicken. What I do on stage is not who I am. If someone offers me food I bless their hands and enjoy the meal.”

“I do not communicate with my family when I am traveling. A card to say I arrived is all. When I am home I do not talk about magic or chickens and only practice when family are asleep. I think a doctor does not talk about disease at the dinner table either.”

Such thoughts may have influenced my decision not to perform magic professionally.

In contrast:

“I get power from audience like sunburn in my mind. I give a little sunshine and everyone glimmer back at me.”

“I like to talk with young people like you. I can give different. Not right or wrong, just what is not in books. You give me reason to do magic. If I not have hope I do not do cups any more.”

After that I paid better attention to history of the middle east. Today’s problems are different from what he had gone through, but he came from suffering we spoiled folk can’t really relate to. Yes, my parents grew up during the Depression – yet I do not think it is the same. Magic is universal. So is man’s inhumanity. Is there a connection?

on the performing side:

“I never do magic for people in the morning. After they eat big meal is best time. Mind works differently then. Happy belly, happy thinking. Midnight show not so good. Too much drinking.”

“Most people afraid of something. In magic show there is no being afraid. You kids not afraid yet. Maybe magic can help.”

My friend Danny asked, “How did you get started with magic?”

Gali-Gali took a long time to begin an answer. He looked sad but his eyes were dancing.

“There is no start and there is no end. First trick I remember is man on rug with chunks of wood and little baskets. I knew it was magic and knew it was a trick. How did I know? Tomorrow maybe some kid see me and know it is magic. Magic is inside. That is not a trick.”

always more to come ....
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I wish that I could have met him!

Definitely, he was from a different culture, but, also definitely, he was a MAGICIAN!

Harris Solomon (former International President of IBM) wrote a piece in Linking Ring, back in the '50s. Harris had returned from a vacation in the middle East after WWII. In Egypt, he saw a magician, doing cups and balls, while seated on a carpet in a village square. The magician did the "c's & b's", and a few other tricks, then passed his "hat". He was a fine magician.

Harris invited him for coffee, after his show. The magician said to Harris, "You are a magician!" Harris asked him how he knew that. The magician replied, "You watch the right cup!"

They had coffee, and Harris showed him the lit cigarette in handkerchief. The magician's eyes "popped". Harris showed him the TT, and, knowing that there were no magic shops within a thousand miles, Harris gave him the TT. Harris later said, "I knew he was a MAGICIAN! --because, he was a black man, and he did not say, "It doesn't match my thumb!"

I've heard many stories about Gali Gali. (All of them, most interesting.) Your stories are from a totally different perspective. Thank you! I am looking forward to more!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm loving this as well. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Gali-Gali 2 (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL