The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » 11 minute Impromptu Halloween Performance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4311 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Got home from a gig that day and my girlfriend's sister was throwing a Halloween party and I improvised a card said as the party wasn't going that well. I knew none of the people so I just jumped right in Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCpvLu7hYIY&feature=youtu.be
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4311 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
The set thrown together was

Icebreaker by Lee Smith
Mr. E Takes A Stroll by John G.
Aces to Jacks by Steve Dobson with a modified backfire ending
Ultimate Invisible Deck (Omni Deck) by Shawn Farquhar

(credits)
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4311 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Oh, Warning: Explicit Language.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I enjoyed that! Good job!
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
684 Posts

Profile of dman11
Nice Blindside, thanks for sharing that
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1244 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Really enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4311 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Thanks folks, glad ya'll dig it Smile
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Do me a favor, Blindside? Rehearse with a friend, and every time you say "Do me a favor..." have him smack you with a rolled up newspaper. I gave up watching your video at about 3 1/2 minutes after you had said "Doe me a favor..." at least a dozen times. There are so MANY things you could say to initiate their actions besides that trite and meaningless phrase:

"So let's do this..."
"Let's try something..."
"Please..."
"If you will just..."
"Now, will you..."
[nothing at all] - just straight out tell them what you would like them to do

There is literally no limit to the various ways you can elicit their help, but when you preface EVERY request with "Do me a favor..." you sound like an idiot savant... without the savant part.

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4311 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Nice man! Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it. You are really generous for giving me truly honest feedback, it's the only way to get better, IMO. I fight a stutter so I sound like an idiot anyway, but I will rehearse to make it less so. That's why I post, for constructive criticism, I do appreciate the words.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Good video. Its obvious you know how to handle a deck of cards and a crowd. Odds are you've probably been at this for quite a while. The video is evident of that. However, it was mentioned by magicwatcher2005 and ill second it, that you need to utilize other phrases to delegate direction at your spectators. "Do me a favor" is good to use when you start your first card trick, but after that try other phrases like:

Spread cards "take one"
Lets try something new(spread cards)"take one"
Your turn (spread cards) Don't say anything, by now they'll know the universal language of a spread deck in front of their eyes.

Very simple and easy fine tuning.
Once again, good video!! It could be used as an educational tool for those who haven't realized they're being repetitive.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
684 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Blindside785 wrote:
Nice man! Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it. You are really generous for giving me truly honest feedback, it's the only way to get better, IMO. I fight a stutter so I sound like an idiot anyway, but I will rehearse to make it less so. That's why I post, for constructive criticism, I do appreciate the words.

You can make those changes, nothing wrong with that. It will most likely only please other performers...Your lay audience had a good time and never noticed or cared and that's who its about.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
Do me a favor, Blindside? Rehearse with a friend, and every time you say "Do me a favor..." have him smack you with a rolled up newspaper. I gave up watching your video at about 3 1/2 minutes after you had said "Doe me a favor..." at least a dozen times. There are so MANY things you could say to initiate their actions besides that trite and meaningless phrase:

"So let's do this..."
"Let's try something..."
"Please..."
"If you will just..."
"Now, will you..."
[nothing at all] - just straight out tell them what you would like them to do

There is literally no limit to the various ways you can elicit their help, but when you preface EVERY request with "Do me a favor..." you sound like an idiot savant... without the savant part.

AGREE! I only made it half way through (4:50) and counted 11 "Do me a favors" ....it got to me at that point and had to shut it off.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, dman11 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Blindside785 wrote:

You can make those changes, nothing wrong with that. It will most likely only please other performers...Your lay audience had a good time and never noticed or cared and that's who its about.

Sorry, I would have to disagree with the comment about only pleasing other performers. This happens in everyday life with someone who says a particular phrase over and over and it doesn't go without noticing most of the time. It's something simple that will improve the performance, for everyone, not just other performers.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
You can turn this around and into a joke. don't hide the fact that you say the phrase a lot. Instead highlight it by riffing off the fact that you say it so much. "Can you do me a favor?.. great! we'll talk about it later. but right now please choose a card"
Its an old line but in this case if you say it to everyone at the table it could be played to your advantage. And after doing it 3 or 4 times, you can end with "Now...Let's talk about those favors..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » 11 minute Impromptu Halloween Performance (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL