The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How long are they valuable? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am asking about testimonials here.

We used to get letters and put them in promo packages and such. After a few years we would block out the dates on them.

So you have video testimonials which OBVIOUSLY have a longer shelf life which is good. But written ones on the web page and things like that how long do you use them?

I am curious because this is not something I need any more so I don't use. All I ever use are the online ones like Tripadvisor because that is the industry I am in and it is most prominent.

So how long is the shelf life of that stuff? Someone asked me and I was CLUELESS as to any answer for any of it.

So please educate me! I am not asking if they work because I think they do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I agree that there is a shelf life to dated letters however I also believe you can extend that shelf life.

what I have done in the past and still do is re work the letter.
what I mean is instead of the whole letter which is now 3-5 years old I take out a 1-2 sentence quote from the letter. obviously the strongest parts and use it as a quote with no date. just the quote and persons name or organization name.

then use a new letter from a current client.
some times I don't even use full letters at all.
i wrote my own letter and sprinkled quotes thru the letter however I do make it a point to at least use one really current quote in my letter.
saying something like "and just a few weeks ago so and so said"...... now thru out the letter there are quotes but no dates and this does not date the letter.

on the flip side I also think it could be advantageous to include an old letter showing that even 10 years ago my show was top in the field or what ever.

so end result is I don't know what the actual shelf life is but with some creativity they can last a long long long time.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Hey Danny,

Currently my oldest testimonial is from my very first year performing 2007! I do things a little differently and I use market specific testimonials and only do about 10 in each package. I choose 2 old ones because they prove I have been in the biz for a long time and the rest are the newest I can find. The same goes for media attention.

Those are my thoughts take them for they are worth!
Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I don't see anything wrong with using old testimonials. In fact, old testimonials may be MORE valuable than new ones! The average performer will undoubtedly become a better performer with time. So, the fact that someone thought you were wonderful earlier in your career is telling.

Still, it may be a case of laziness. I will admit to this.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Interesting topic. Personally, when I see quotes that are dated it makes me think the company struggles to get positive feedback on a routine basis. I would say that it is better to either have current ones, or not attach a date to them. It would be interesting to see if there is any research on this topic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Also any answer works as far as I am concerned. I am curious how people do it is all

It is interesting to me for a specific reason. Question is do they work? I think it is fairly obvious they do. Then when you get to dates what do those say exactly? Been at it a long time... can't get recent good reviews. .. good current and past reviews... I am simply curious as to if anyone thought this through is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, Ken Northridge wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with using old testimonials. In fact, old testimonials may be MORE valuable than new ones! The average performer will undoubtedly become a better performer with time. So, the fact that someone thought you were wonderful earlier in your career is telling.

Still, it may be a case of laziness. I will admit to this.

I agree and I think using old testimonials can show the performer has a track record of success that stretches back over years.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How long are they valuable? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL