The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Young Magician of the Year Competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheUltimateSudo
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TheUltimateSudo
Hi guys Smile
I am 16, and am looking to enter the Young Magician of the Year Competition 2015. It requires the performance of an 8-12 minute stage act.
I've been doing magic for 4 years, and am a member of the Young Magicians Club.
I am interested in doing a slightly darker act. perhaps mentalism/psychic?

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could put into an act, and how I should go about structuring it?

Thankyou!!!
TheUltimateSudo
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

I generally perform card tricks in a local restaurant, but generally dressed up as "I'm Psychic".
I'm not very experienced on stage, however The competition isn't until February, so I will get the oppurtunity to perform at the stage in the magic circle a few times between now and then.
I don't have any video's of me performing online.
I'm from London, and the Competition is at the Magic Circle.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wow! The magic circle, that is an impressive event. My advice is to not change what you are doing just for a competition. Psychic abilities could be done along the lines of mentalism magic tricks. This is a very tough type of magic. You have to be able to turn on the personality as that is what will carry you though. Mentalism does not use props to lean on or things to handle.

Competitions usually look for original material, not anything that has been done or sold on the magic market. Performing standard tricks that you have altered in some way will fall into this category as well. Putting a good twist on an old trick is the easiest way to accomplish making it look new and original.

Mentalism magic and tricks are found in the bibles in mentalism, namely books, and some DVDs. If you have not started your library and reading of hundreds of effects. I have no idea how anyone can try out all the effects in a book or DVD and then decide on a new way to present it. Especially with no help from a person who could advise you as you move through the thousands of effects available in this area of study.

Is there someone who could advise you at the Magic Circle? Would he be willing to cut your research and learning down for you?

I have always said to perform the magic you like, there is a reason that you like to perform it, method, energy, the way people react to the climax. There is just no way anyone can advise you want to perform. It is impossible to know what would fit your personality, likes, and dislike about something.

If you have access to the Magic Circle Library, I am assuming they have one, then I would suggest you set aside some hours to see what is available.

If you want to present the effects in a dark manner then keep that in mind as you research and look for routines that can be changed to that kind of feeling. If their is any ordinary people that will be at the completion, it will be more difficult to stay in character, as most magicians do not react as non-magicians would. So work on keeping your energy up and your patter streaming and interesting with a good flow.

Good luck on your adventure.
TheUltimateSudo
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Thanks Bill!

I'm going there next weekend so will definitely ask around and go to the library (It's usually open for us)

I'm planning on asking the person who runs YMC (the Junior part of the Magic Circle) because he may be able to put me in contact with someone.

There aren't usually any laymen at these competitions, so I'll only be performing for magicians.
The competition isn't until February though so I will have a good amount of time to work on it (but we need to register that we are taking part now).

Once again, thanks for the valuable advice!
Robert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Young Magician of the Year Competition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL