The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What happens when you get 50 posts? (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
A little disappointed that I didn't hear angels singing Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5241 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2015, Joey_Z wrote:
A little disappointed that I didn't hear angels singing Smile

Shhhhh. That's part of getting into the Inner Circle.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
Ooo Ooo...inner circle?? How many posts do I need for that???
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7063 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2015, Joey_Z wrote:
Ooo Ooo...inner circle?? How many posts do I need for that???

You need 1000 post to get there.

Todd
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2015, Joey_Z wrote:
Though this is a rather cynical way to put it, there is a good underlying point:
1) To be considered a full member you must have more than 50 posts.
2) If you ask questions that have been asked before, you will be kindly pointed toward the search function or the prior thread that addresses your question.
3) If you don't take the hint from step 2, you will be less politely pointed toward the search function.
4) You settle for some half-hearted "me too" style responses since you have learned your lesson, you have enough self awareness of your "new to magic" status, you realize that you are unlikely to ask anything revolutionary due to your new status, and you do not have the time to read back over the 3215 pages of posts that your search has yielded.
5) If you are able to make 46 more "me too" comments without feeling too foolish to continue or shamed enough by others to stop, you will reach the "magic number".

Thais answer is the biggest piece of trash I've read on the Café in a few yrs.

Don't believe this n00b.
The Café is way friendlier than this guy makes it out to be, in fact she/he is completely wrong.
There are Magi who will help a person out in a second with no questions asked.
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
Thank you for proving a small part of my point. In the rest of the post I mentioned my love for this site. To be more specific, I see many examples of people being very giving and helpful (and this seems to be overwhelmingly the majority). But a few misplaced brush off comments or incidental labeling of people ("noob") can be discouraging enough to those that are new that many will never hit their 50. The risk of getting flamed is too high for some people. I have chosen to be a lurker until I felt I had a good understanding of the community before I made myself public (and an open target). But I also waited until I felt I could contribute in a more meaningful way.

I am sorry to any who felt like my comments were bashing the café or its fantastic members, it was only meant to express how hard it can be to learn to navigate the forum. I should choose my words more carefully.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Tree........
I think that Joey_Z has made some humorous comments, and, I don't think, especially in his January 4th post that he wrote a "big piece of trash".

He writes in sentences, which is a lot more than many who post comments here, do!

In the circus, we use a term: "First o' May", to "identify" a "tenderfoot" who joined on after May 1, when the weather gets nicer. The term is not a sarcastic expression, and it is also not a disparaging one.

Back in 1945, I was a "First o' May". I was "green". I remember an old "proverb": "When you are green, you can get ripe, When you are ripe, you just get rotten!" After 70 years "on the boards", perhaps, I've become rotten???

In the two years plus since I "joined this show", I've read more than a few comments, from "old timers" that showed their total lack of understanding. I'm sure that they meant well, but.........

I think that most of the "active" posters seem to me to be most sincere.

Enough! it's time for coffee.

O

May I suggest that you read Joey Z's reply (January 20) just above..
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
Thanks for the defense Dick, but it is a good reminder that the light tone in my head while writing does not necessarily translate into a light tone in the reader's head. We all have enough experience with written communication to know this, but I sometimes forget in the heat of the moment.

Bowers - yikes! It took me just shy of 12 years to hit my 50 posts. At that rate I can look forward to inner circle status at the age of 271. I guess that Wizard is right...I will really hear the angels sing at that point. Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Joey_Z........Where in the Badger state, do you live? PM me. Just curious. Occasionally, I venture forth (or fifth, even) from Escanaba. Maybe we can meet for lunch? (Does McDlonald's take reservations?

Angels singing! That's how, as a little boy, I learned what God's name is. (His name is Harold. --"Hark the Harold angels sing!")

Qui bene csntat, bis orat!!!

O
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
:OOOPS...That last line should be>>> Qui bene cantat, bis orat!
erinda01
View Profile
New user
South Florida
26 Posts

Profile of erinda01
??
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Profile of Szymon Krzysztoszek
Nice spam. I'm waiting for 50 posts Smile
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
I wasn't even aware of this '50 posts' thing. I just clicked on the thread because it was recent. But good to know. Smile

Brian
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
:OOOPS...That last line should be>>> Qui bene cantat, bis orat!

erinda01 followed my thresd with a ??? !!

Ergo! (therefore) I will translate!>>> He who sings well, prays twice! <<< (Someone posted about hearing angels singing when "you" accumulate 1,000 posts)
Houdiniemals
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Houdiniemals
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
55Hudson gave you the real answer. You gain access to the market area where you can buy and sell magic and DVDs. Soooooooooooooo many good deals from a lot of trustworthy sellers. And Secret Sessions where the real stuff is discussed more openly. Folks still try to be discreet and leave the real secrets to private messaging, but you can learn a lot there from some very knowledgeable people. Enjoy it when you get there.

Thank you!
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
There are already too many forums to keep up with in the Café ha ha. There is more? First I have about them too. I wish there was a "show new posts" button like many other forums have.... suree would make it easier to keep up. Smile
guyjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Don't mind me and my
224 Posts

Profile of guyjr
I've been coming to this site for years but hardly said a word til recently. Mainly been adding to my collection of collectible magic, so when I come here, I search for "mikame" and "magic wagon" and try to help out in whatever threads pop up. Then skim the remaining (there really are way too many here) and try to find a few more threads to be helpful in.
Lukasz P
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Lukasz P
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, Eichenberg wrote:
Hope my magic will get better after 50 posts!

I hope also Smile
lelando
View Profile
New user
has stuck his foot in his mouth in every one of his
63 Posts

Profile of lelando
As of this post, I'm at 31 posts in the 2 years since I joined the Café. At this rate, I'll be 'downstairs' in late 2016. Smile
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
I'm trying to be more active, but I don't like to post just for the sake of posting (unless that's exactly what I'm doing here!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What happens when you get 50 posts? (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL