The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What happens when you get 50 posts? (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5241 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Zoic, it's really not that difficult and happens sooner than you think. Just look around the Café and visit areas you are interested in...explore. Find threads that you can read up on, familiarize yourself with, and get involved in by offering opinions, suggestions, stories, reviews...I know I reached over 50 posts before I even realized there was such a thing.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Maxy
I didn't see diffefrence between before or after.
I'm kidding Smile
You will be more responsible after 50 posts
eusbanger
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of eusbanger
I don't like to post if I have nothing to say but... another post here to reach 50 Smile
wk3
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of wk3
Joining the trend. My second step to get to 50. I hear we get a sleight named after us after we hit 50 Smile
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, wk3 wrote:
Joining the trend. My second step to get to 50. I hear we get a sleight named after us after we hit 50 Smile

That's a huge responsibility though! Smile
May you live in interesting times.
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
88 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
Well apparently you don't stop being a "New user" after 50 posts.
So the real question is, what happens when you reach more than 90000 posts? Smile
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
LeafyMagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of LeafyMagic
Time to go for 50 now, I guess.
willtupper
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of willtupper
You get sent a link to a YouTube video that teaches you how to do the Magic Café Secret Handshake.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Jan Schattling -- the switch from "New user" to "Regular user" happens when you hit 101 posts.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
523 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Couldn't resist the chance for my 9th post. the reason we have two ears is to detect which direction the hungry feline with the long teeth is attacking from. Smile
Use the FORCE Luke.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If you looked at the OP before you posted, it's two years + a couple of months, since Magic Oli started this thread. Oli lives in Australia.

I corresponded with him in November and December 2014. We talked about simple things like TTs, etc. He's now in college, and is either too busy to be involved with the Café, OR, has lost interest with magic, as he stopped corresponding, "back then".

Apparently, many join the Café, to learn how tricks are done. Apparently, they seem to think that all magicians DO is "swap tricks"!

In the four years since I joined, I've enjoyed communicating with both amateurs and professionals. When I was on the road, for 50 years, I was busy performing. I didn't have time for "things" like the Café--and, the Café didn't exist, back then, anyway.

I've noticed that a great number of "names" are only seen once or twice, then, they fade into oblivion. The "rule of fifty" is a good rule. It "filters out" those who "...only see the top of it".

BTW it has been YEARS since I cared about learning how a trick is DONE!

The last "new" trick that I added to my act, is the "Professor's Nightmare", the secret of which, I gave $1.00 for, to my old friend, Gene Gordon, in 1959. TWELVE years later, I finally, courtesy of another old friend, Karrell Fox, learned a better way to set up the necessary "situation" so that the trick could be done, gracefully. THEN, with a little thought, I "resurrected" an old technique for counting the three ropes. THEN, I had to develop a presentation that would entertain ANY audience! --I did.

A "final" word: Some people just "have to say something" --! Others have "something to say". If you are a member of the second group, eventually you'll have "fifty"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of medievalmagician
I have a difficult time posting on forums as most members with more knowledge or experience usually have better input. I am not about finding out how a trick is done, I'm more into the enjoyment of magic when it comes to watching it. I've been involved in magic as a hobby, as a spectator, for about 40 years now.

I enjoy reading the forums in the areas that I have an interest.
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Guess who's back, back again. Oli's back, tell a friend Smile Hey guys, I've actually been extremely busy with university the past 2 years. My apologies, Dick, for falling out of touch with you, the work came so thick and fast that I fell off the magic wagon for a while so to say. It's nice to see that you're still heavily involved in the Café. I've been preparing for medical school and completing my BSc these past years so free time has been a bit scarce. Hopefully this year I will have more time to focus on my magic as I miss it dearly.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Welcome back, Oli!

No apologies needed! I can still remember my college days! There just wasn't time for anything but, "hit the books"! I have a young friend, a former member of my Scout camp staff, who is finishing up his fourth year at the MAYO CLINIC, in Rochester, Minnesota. He will probably "end up" as an ophthalmologist. (Hey! I can even spell that! --thanks to my two years of Greek, and, six years of Latin!!!) We haven't kept up much of a correspondence for the past four years. His magic interests are currently "on hold" too.

One of my old profs had an expression: "When you're through learning, you're through!" So! PRIORITIES! There will be plenty of time to sneak rabbits into hats, when you have that MD!

Become educated!!!

O
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2017, medievalmagician wrote:
I have a difficult time posting on forums as most members with more knowledge or experience usually have better input. I am not about finding out how a trick is done, I'm more into the enjoyment of magic when it comes to watching it. I've been involved in magic as a hobby, as a spectator, for about 40 years now.

I enjoy reading the forums in the areas that I have an interest.

"Aint nuthin' wrong with that!"

Oh! Ya left out "in" in yer last sentence!!! (Charlie Miller always tried to end a sentence with a PREPOSITION!) hee hee
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Well said Dick Smile
Rob P
View Profile
New user
Guilderland, NY
13 Posts

Profile of Rob P
I am one of those names that is only seen on rare occasions in a post, but that is because when I am on the forums I spend a lot of time reading and learning (the primary reason I joined). I'd say 19 out of 20 times I come seeking thoughts there is already a post and a great amount of information to read about what I wanted to know. The search function is my friend. That is good, yet makes it harder for reaching 50 posts. Not a huge deal to me though, as I am getting a lot from what I can see already. (Thanks to all of you!)
NWJay
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of NWJay
Never mind extra forums, I'm hoping it'll mark the moment I finally get a decent DL technique...
ScottMN
View Profile
New user
Tracy, Minnesota
55 Posts

Profile of ScottMN
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
If you looked at the OP before you posted, it's two years + a couple of months, since Magic Oli started this thread. Oli lives in Australia.

I corresponded with him in November and December 2014. We talked about simple things like TTs, etc. He's now in college, and is either too busy to be involved with the Café, OR, has lost interest with magic, as he stopped corresponding, "back then".

Apparently, many join the Café, to learn how tricks are done. Apparently, they seem to think that all magicians DO is "swap tricks"!

In the four years since I joined, I've enjoyed communicating with both amateurs and professionals. When I was on the road, for 50 years, I was busy performing. I didn't have time for "things" like the Café--and, the Café didn't exist, back then, anyway.

I've noticed that a great number of "names" are only seen once or twice, then, they fade into oblivion. The "rule of fifty" is a good rule. It "filters out" those who "...only see the top of it".

BTW it has been YEARS since I cared about learning how a trick is DONE!

The last "new" trick that I added to my act, is the "Professor's Nightmare", the secret of which, I gave $1.00 for, to my old friend, Gene Gordon, in 1959. TWELVE years later, I finally, courtesy of another old friend, Karrell Fox, learned a better way to set up the necessary "situation" so that the trick could be done, gracefully. THEN, with a little thought, I "resurrected" an old technique for counting the three ropes. THEN, I had to develop a presentation that would entertain ANY audience! --I did.

A "final" word: Some people just "have to say something" --! Others have "something to say". If you are a member of the second group, eventually you'll have "fifty"!

Appreciate all the sage advice you can offer us, Dick!
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
523 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
On reaching 50 posts you set free Emilio Estevez and YOU become 'The Bishop Of Battle'
Use the FORCE Luke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What happens when you get 50 posts? (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL