The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup & Balls Move Enquiry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Can anyone tell me what this C & B move is called and point me toward a detailed description / instruction in print or video.

There's a ball under the cup and one fingerpalmed in your right hand. You tip or lift the cup to display the ball and reach for it with your right hand. It appears that you pick up the ball from the table, but you produce the fingerpalmed ball and leave the other ball under the cup.

I'm familiar with most cup and ball moves, but I can't seem to make this one look smooth and deceptive.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Following what you wrote, it seems to be an impossible move.

Lift the cup, presumably with the left hand since the right hand is busy reaching for the ball. The tabled ball is exposed so there's no way to produce the palmed ball and conceal the one that's already in open view.

Try again.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Leo H
This move is described in John Carney's The Book of Secrets, and is also part of David Roth's Chop Cup routine. It's utilized to streamline the final loading sequence of a cups and balls routine a bit more. The standard method is to lift the cup with the right hand to show the ball on the table, pass the cup into the waiting left hand to load it with a finger palmed ball, and then picks up the tabled ball as the left hand deposits the loaded cup back to the tabletop.

Instead of this, as you inquired, your left hand tilts the cup to the left to display the tabled ball, your right hand approaches the ball to pick it up, and instead rolls the finger palmed ball up with the thumb to display the ball while the left hand tilts the cup back flat on the table. It's a timing move and the right fingers cover the tabled ball for just an instant before producing it's finger palmed ball. The left side of the tilted cup never comes off the table.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Are you talking about the move that Suzanne seems to use at 3:08 and again at 3:19 in this performance?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Here's the link you meant to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2yrkH6nRQ
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Thanks, Leo. I'll try to find a copy of the Book of Secrets. In the meantime, thanks to your tip, I found youtube videos of David Roth doing his chop cup routine and John Carney doing a one-cup-and-ball routine. That move is done in both of them, and the videos are very helpful.

miky
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Leo H,

IMHO, you are totally right.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
I should have added -- your description of the move is extremely helpful. I realized after reading it and practicing that I hadn't been keeping the left side of the cup on the table.

miky
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Thank you Lawrence O--and also for the wealth of information you bring here.

I learned a devious move to display 2 empty? cups from you.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, Dave V wrote:
Following what you wrote, it seems to be an impossible move.

Lift the cup, presumably with the left hand since the right hand is busy reaching for the ball. The tabled ball is exposed so there's no way to produce the palmed ball and conceal the one that's already in open view.

Try again.

isn't there an old move where the visible ball is flicked back into the angled cup? Before it runs back out the right hand is away with the Utility Pass ball and the Cup tipped over the "empty" space

Probably an Eddy Joseph move
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, Leo H wrote:
Instead of this, as you inquired, your left hand tilts the cup to the left to display the tabled ball, your right hand approaches the ball to pick it up, and instead rolls the finger palmed ball up with the thumb to display the ball while the left hand tilts the cup back flat on the table. It's a timing move and the right fingers cover the tabled ball for just an instant before producing it's finger palmed ball. The left side of the tilted cup never comes off the table.

This makes much more sense.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2014, funsway wrote:
isn't there an old move where the visible ball is flicked back into the angled cup? Before it runs back out the right hand is away with the Utility Pass ball and the Cup tipped over the "empty" space

Probably an Eddy Joseph move

It's in the cups and balls chapter of The Dai Vernon Book of Magic under the heading of Stage 4. ALL THREE BALLS APPEAR UNDER THE CENTER CUP. This move is used to pretend to place the 3rd ball under the far right cup. The right and left hands then simultaneously lift their respective cups to show the empty spots that were occupied by the first and third balls.
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Tilman
There is an alternative to the move that the original poster enquired about. I think that alternative is superior.

Rather than having both balls start out and end up in their original positions (ball starting out in FP stays in hand, ball starting out under cup stays under cup), the ball under the cup is truly picked up and the ball in FP is released and allowed to roll under cup as it is lowered to the table.

I think this is superior because the ball that started out under the cup stays in view throughout (providing a focus for the spectators' attention) and because the action of picking up the ball is true rather than simulated. There is no downside associated with doing this move rather than the other (that is: angles are just as good, hand positions and movements are as natural or even more natural, etc.).

Alexander de Cova uses the move extensively in his cups and balls work and I learned it from him.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of Alexander executing the move online. So here is my own execution (probably inferior to Alexander's) at 5:33 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPQ7WTwrPYI
(As I re-watch this, I think the wrist turn in picking up the ball should and can be more minimal.)

If anyone knows the origin of this move, I'd be very thankful if you could let us know.

Like the move that this thread is really about, it is a great way of cleaning up final load sequences by cutting down on unnecessary hand-to-hand transfers of cups and balls.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
So very enjoyable! The pace, artistry and mastery of your material are certainly an inspiration. Thank you.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of dcjames
I first learned of this move from Al Schneider's materials. Not certain that it is his creation.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Thank you Tilman for helping us fine tune this move!

It makes one want to say "Why didn't I think of it?"
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
This simultaneous Take and Put is an old sponge ball ploy done in a spectator's hand.

No reason it can't be done in a Cup routine.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Thanks so much, Tilman, for the video link and the idea. You're right -- your move is easier, more fluid, and more deceptive. Really enjoyed your routine.

miky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup & Balls Move Enquiry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL