The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stephen King (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I just finished his book "On Writing." Pretty interesting, not what it seems to be at first glance. Or maybe more than it appears to be on second thought. Anyway, I've never read any fiction of his--just not my genre. Only movies I've seen of his were Shawshank and Carrie.

But this book made me curious. He's clearly a gifted storyteller. What should I read next?
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Another one of his books. Read the jacket to see if the story interests you. Even if it doesn't, you might be missing out on one of his best ones. But don't seek to have someone else make up your own mind. Use your own.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Uh...Hi Reese.

Landmark certainly knows how to make up his own mind. No need to insult him.

Here's a weird fact about me: I don't read book jackets or the backs of books.

The only Stephen King book I ever read was Carrie. I wasn't impressed, and never bothered to return to him. My sister read everything he ever wrote, and she has fairly good taste.

Isn't Lobo a fan?

Oh, and Reese? Have a beer and relax:

:stout:
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
The last SK novel I read was Cell. I enjoyed it. I think it might have been the first of his books I had read in a couple of decades. If you like The Walking Dead, it may be worth your while.

Full disclosure, I did not like the latter part of the novel (where as I recall there was a bit of a plot twist).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I liked The Long Walk best. It was one of his earliest works. His books are always better than the movies. Stephen Kings 'It' was also very good with the exception of one scene in the book. I have a huge collection of audio books and I listen to Stephen King when I'm taking a break from my normal books.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
One of his best is also one of his most recent and is a departure from his usual themes. 11/22/63 is an amazingly well researched novel about a man who travels back in time to 1958 in order to prevent the eventual assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963.

King's recreation of the late fifties and early sixties in America, and particularly the political climate in 1963 Dallas is extremely believable. And his conclusions regarding the facts of the assassination are, in my opinion, very persuasive and probably close to the truth.

I'd highly recommend this one.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
That one was good as well. I like books that put you in a situation where you think what would I do if? I also like the kickbacks to Derry.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
One of his best is also one of his most recent and is a departure from his usual themes. 11/22/63 is an amazingly well researched novel about a man who travels back in time to 1958 in order to prevent the eventual assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963.

King's recreation of the late fifties and early sixties in America, and particularly the political climate in 1963 Dallas is extremely believable. And his conclusions regarding the facts of the assassination are, in my opinion, very persuasive and probably close to the truth.

I'd highly recommend this one.

This sounds like something I might enjoy. Thanks all for the recommendations. Feel free to keep naming your favorites.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd recommend starting with either "Hearts in Atlantis" or "The Body," followed by "The Dead Zone."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My favorite, btw, is also The Long Walk. I just don't think its a good one to start with. I also liked 11/22/63 quite a bit, but it has many references to other King works, so I think it's more fun to defer so you can pick up on the insider nods (particularly from "It").

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I was an avid fan of King's in the 80's, read most of his early work. My favorites would be: "The Shining"- Very creepy story. The big screen version was a box office hit but I thought it more as a vehicle for Jack Nicholson to be Jack Nicholson. Good movie but not very loyal to the storyline.

Another favorite of mine is "Misery". Talk about a "What would I do" situation. Though the book is better, James Caan and Kathy Bates did a great job bringing this one to the silver screen.

I also have to mention "It". A great story and though I did't like the ending, the journey there was a lot of fun.

Bob, Thanks for mentioning "11/22/63", sounds interesting. It's going on my list.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anyone ever read The Bachman Books? Obviously The Long Walk is one of them but it is an interesting collection.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The novella collections "The Bachman Books" and "Different Seasons" (which includes Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption (that's one novella, not two)) contain a lot of very good work.

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Not a big fan of Stephen Kings full length books...I remember reading Cujo and felt there was 3 pages of describing a cereal box at breakfast.

But I do love his short stories and novellas. You can't go wrong with any of those collections.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am what Stephen King calls a "Constant Reader." Read every word of his I can find.

If you want a book with less horror, try Fire Starter or Mr. Murder,
If you want creeps horror, The Shining is the best,
Pet Cemetery is a gross out and morally offensive story.
Through Dragon's Eyes is a nice adventure story.
I have never read a book or short story of his I did not enjoy.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
My favorite is "Four past midnight" a collection of short stories...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I like King as well, but his book 'Insomnia' dragged on and put me to sleep. I skipped to the end and never felt the desire to pick it up again.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Uh...Hi Reese.

Landmark certainly knows how to make up his own mind. No need to insult him.

Here's a weird fact about me: I don't read book jackets or the backs of books.

The only Stephen King book I ever read was Carrie. I wasn't impressed, and never bothered to return to him. My sister read everything he ever wrote, and she has fairly good taste.

Isn't Lobo a fan?

Oh, and Reese? Have a beer and relax:

:stout:
Thanks for your response. About beer... I only insult people after having a fee. Or a few. Every really stupid thing I've ever done started with a bear in my hand (not a typo) Or it was part of the contract. Cheers!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
No worries.

It's generally understood around here that we have differing tastes. When I ask a question like that, I'm hoping that those who know something about me might suggest a book that will be the way in to that author for me.

I've tried to read other Stephen King books before (Cujo?) but I didn't like it. After reading the writing book, I thought I would give him another shot. Knowing that there are some books that aren't heavy on the horror means I'll give him another try.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If you haven't seen "Stand By Me," read The Body. If you've sen "Stand By Me," read Hearts in Atlantis. Neither is horror.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stephen King (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL