The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Great Gig And A Great Handshake (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Hey Guys!
Had a great walk around gig last night! Met tons of great people and wowed a lot of audiences! It was a silent auction with dinner afterwards
the only low part of the gig was when I met one lady and her husband I learned in the approach a firm handshake is good so I gave the man I nice firm handshake then when I shook the ladies hand I realized she had a wine in the other hand which because of my handshake splashed up and onto her sleeve of her jacket.
I felt terrible but she insisted it was fine and then I showed her and her husband some great tricks!
guess cocktail parties and good handshakes just don't mix!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Josh,
Great to hear you had a successful gig. No, you don't want to shake a women's hand aggressively, rather a gentle, 2 hand touch.
So much more to learn when interacting interacting with people as evidenced by your post. Thanks for sharing.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
A laurel and hardy handshake to you all.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
dannywu
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of dannywu
Had the same thing happen to me when after my dad taught me to always give firm handshakes years ago.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
725 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Who do you think you are?...Kreskin! Smile
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, dannywu wrote:
Had the same thing happen to me when after my dad taught me to always give firm handshakes years ago.

I was also taught to give a firm handshake and to make eye contact.
One time I shook hands with an older gentleman, about 80'years old.
I freaked out when I heard a bone crack.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
That gave me an idea.
You can put a dry macaroni in your teeth and bite down when you crack your neck.
I just may do that when someone shakes MY hand.
Ihor
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9493 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If I accidentally got wine on someone, I would run and for water and napkins not continue to push my agenda even if they insist that I didn't do harm. I never want to leave anyone with the impression that my need to trick-them is more important then their needs.

Later the man probably said to the lady "Good tricks but that guy was really good, he wouldn't have got wine on you".
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Mr. Leslie
That was a pretty upsetting and discouraging way to respond to a younger magician. And I know that is not true because the ladies husband has been mentoring me in my magic business for over 6 months! And the ladies husband also wrote a fairly long testimonial for my website! and I am currently in the process of working out a gig with the lady for her kids birthday party!
So you may have your opinion that they probably didn't like me very much but unfortunately in this case your wrong.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
"I met one lady and her husband." That part right there makes it hard to believe. You're A: Lying. or B: telling us a fabricated story. Neither of which is helpful to yourself. I don't normally post anything conflicting on the Café, but there's clearly an issue with this post.
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Thanks for your response but I don't understand it
I am not lying I can promise I want to make myself better and thought I would share a story on here. Smile
no lying just an experience.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
"the only low part of the gig was when I met one lady and her husband I learned in the approach a firm handshake "

"And I know that is not true because the ladies husband has been mentoring me in my magic business for over 6 months! And the ladies husband also wrote a fairly long testimonial for my website! "

These two statements appear to be in conflict.

Regarding handshakes, historically you offer to shake a man's hand and grip firmly, but not so hard as to to intimidate. For a woman, a man should wait till she extends her had to shake. Then grasp with fingers and thumb, like you are picking up your iPad or laptop. You can't squeeze too hard then. If you do take a deep handshake, like with another man, then you should not squeeze any harder than she does.
My etiquette training does not extend to how women should shake and is dated; some women my prefer a deep handshake, but you won't ever be in trouble if you offer a deep handshake to a man and a finger and thumb shake to a woman.

Hudson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Great Gig And A Great Handshake (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL