The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ESPoe - Dreadfully Nervous (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
899 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
The fantastic promo video for Parlour Ghost & E.R.Perkins' ESPoe

ESPoe is a bizarre remix of the Zener/Rhine extrasensory perception cards with the mystery performer in mind. The symbols have been transmuted into classic, high-contrast representations of the major motifs in Poe's work. With these cards, any of your favorite ESP effects and routines can be reborn as gothic fables of mystery and imagination, or as guides as you explore the mind of the master himself. ESPoe is a utility deck and a dark storytelling tool, tipped in your favor.

These twenty-five bold and familiar notions from the stories of Edgar Allan Poe are subtly marked and accompanied by eleven special effect cards, for use in sleights or in your favorite switch device. These are elegant and mischievous decks printed on borderless 310gsm linen card stock and include their own custom tuck box and hand-crafted black linen shroud.

ESPoe is candy-coated trip through the haunted palace. Take your audience into the crypt below the House of Usher, into the mind of mad, morose Edgar, or share a buried memory of murder.

Know the Cards. Tell the Tale.

ESPoe is a 36 card deck:

5 each of 5 gothic symbols
11 special effect cards (double-back, blank, Poe's signature, spirit frames, Tell-Tale Heart, Haunted Poe, etc)
custom tuck box and hand-crafted black linen drawstring bag

Add-ons:

"coffin nails" - a bundle of five antique, 19th century American carpentry nails. For use as pendulums, markers, or tokens in the routine 'Another Nail' by E.R. Perkins.
"Shades of Poe" poker tuck box for additional provenance and back story
1849 penny pendulum
Edgar Allan Poe's Spirits of the Dead Seance Card Deck (more details here)

Some Thoughts about ESP Cards

"I found him well educated, with unusual powers of mind, but infected with misanthropy, and subject to perverse moods of alternate enthusiasm and melancholy." - The Gold Bug

A deck of ESP cards can be a powerful tool for a mentalist or mystery performer. They're at once familiar, but they're strange too. Most people have only seen them in movies. They're outside the standard fifty-two card vocabulary and as such they conjure very different associations, stories of mind reading, parapsychology, and psychic examination.

Five each of five symbols that can be stacked, cycled, read and revealed to elicit wonders. There are some astounding ESP card routines by Sam Dalal, Nick Trost, Aldo Colmbini, Max Maven and countless others. These mind reading tests and effects are boundless. Perhaps you know a few.

What if we want to tell a different story?

Perhaps the stories we want to explore are rooted in gothic literature, the motifs of horror, or the very mind of one of it's foremost authors? Maybe our shows creep in dusty sepulchers, rather than the clinical test conditions of the psych dept?

Let's change the symbols.

Five symbols. Five bold and familiar notions from the mind of Edgar Allan Poe. What if those are the images that make up the deck? Think about the stories we can tell now.

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/collectio......ts/espoe

Darkly

Dan
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Brilliant video for a great product!
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of Perkins
And introducing, that tragic lovely, the Widow Perkins.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of horus1
WOW - Great video!!
Yeah. love these cards. So much you can do with them!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4205 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Excellent vidio on a cracking product.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Many thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

This was how I spent my Halloween week this year. It was a blast to shoot.

Filmed in an antique shop, after closing. They had to lock us in for several hours for security. I thought that was a nice touch.

Thanks for the good word on the cards. I hope they are starting to arrive and find their way into your dark hearts.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Great video was that your music Smile
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Not the kind of music we typically do -- granted -- but we did do it. It was a great opportunity to play with all those guitar effects I don't usually get to touch!
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Music and video are a match made in a dark heaven. I love the aesthetic quality of this.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1369 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Glorious. Simply perfect in its simplicity of design and effective use of image to underscore story. Bang on.

BC
Phasmologist
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
Loved the video!
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Brilliant video! Love everything about it!
Wonderful!
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Another volley of respected voices. Thanks, fellas.

I'm just 'liking' my way through here.

Next time, I'm going get you to do it E.G!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5348 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Not much to criticize here. Absolutely wonderful work. My only concern would be to clearly state what is, and is not included in the video with the purchase...e.g. I know you can get a tuck box as an add on, but for those who don't know what a tuck box is...it is not the Switch Witch that is shown in the video.

Fantastic work! If I wasn't already sold, I would be now.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1491 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Looks & sounds great, I didn't see the add on for the 1849 penny pendulum in the drop down box.......?
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Thanks, Wizard. It's a fair point and I appreciate you bringing it up so that we can clarify.

This was shot as a promotional trailer of sorts. It's really meant to be a bit of revelry with the cards and the theme. Even the 'product shot' at the end is full of set dressing and whatnots that would not be included with purchase.

ESPoe is a 36 card deck. 25 symbol cards and 11 special effect cards. It comes lovingly shrouded in a custom, black linen bag. Everything from there on out is either an add on, one of Dan's products, like the Switch Witch (and that amazing skull!), or indulgent set decoration. While the cards were designed to play along with the wooden Switch Witch box, it doesn't come along with it. I wanted to illustrate that the cards were designed to be used there, but not imply that it was part of the set.

Merlin, I think we just ran out of 1849 pennies for the pendulums. They are not easy to track down. The went pretty fast, I think. If you got one... well done. *I* didn't even get one! Blast.

If anyone has any questions about ESPoe or SPIRITS of the DEAD, please don't hesitate to contact myself or Dan.

Best,
Perkins
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3338 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Wonderful video for a wonderful effect. My cadavers give it five thumbs. Five actual thumbs, that is.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Thanks, Willie! Too bad the cadavers couldn't be in this one. Next time.
J.c.Mooreni
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of J.c.Mooreni
Yes, great video, but more importantly, awesome product! The cards are wonderful to work with and the process easy to learn and handle...the results are beautiful! Perkins did a great job on this and I am proud to have it in my collection! Highly recommended!
Astaroth
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Astaroth
Great video and nice cameo! The ESP cards look great. Is there anyways to age them at all?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ESPoe - Dreadfully Nervous (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL