The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buddha Papers Mystery (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dice
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Dice
I'm looking to perform the Buddha Papers Mystery... I can think of two ways to do it... I'm looking for input on which way is the most deceptive or recommended way to perform it.

1) Flip over each time you place the folded packet inside another... The pros of this method is that you build up a rhythm and consistency that conditions them to the way you are folding the papers. The cons are that there is no reason to do it this way so it may pique the spectators curiosity as to why you are flipping the folded papers every time.

2) Only flip over the gimmicked one... On the one hand this is good because it doesn't raise suspicion every time you fold up a bundle. On the other hand, it makes that one time stand out.

As a follow up, if I choose #1, is it better to do it casually or to flip each one over obviously to show the spectator that there is nothing hiding on the other side? If I choose #2, is there a good way to cover the one flip so it isn't obvious?

Thanks so much!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I got the "real work" on the "papers" when I was a teenager working in a side show (magic, fire, snake lecture). I already knew the method, but, I learned from another carnie, how 5o pitch the prop, and make a "few" bucks every night.

To answer your question, I learned to use the #1 "system". Rhythm, and conditioning! I've NEVER had a mark question it.

Buzz Worth and I would catch late supper at the carnie grab joint almost every night. He was agent for a short range shooting gallery. He was mentoring me (coin sleights). I would head for his joint when we closed for the night,and we would walk down the midway to the grab joint. "Enroute", he would sell an average of 5 or 6 (sometimes more!) papers for $2.00 each. That would buy his supper, breakfast, lunch, and "smokes".

He made up his own papers. He would go to a small job printer,and buy the peper stock, have the printer cut it, and take it back to his trailer. In the morning before the "MGR" (Merry Go Round) organ started, he would make up sets of "Budda" papers. Every carnie has a hustle, and the papers were Buzz's hustle..
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dice
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Dice
Actually, the reason I want to do it is because my mother described the trick for me and said her father (who is no longer with us) used to do it at county fairs making a couple of bucks like you describe. I had never seen the trick before but asked around to find out what it was called and now am going to do it for her just as my grandfather did when my mother was a kid. Thanks so much for your help!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello again Douse! (You are one and the singular of mice is mouse, so dice/douse! My dear friend, the late Jay Marshall, never did the the old "sucker die bos". He did the douse box!

You're most welcome, I remember being fascinated with the Buddha Papers when I was in elementary school.
The trick was first described in Scot's "Discovery of Witchcraft" pulished in the 1500s! I don't know what the name of the trick was back then. (I wasn't there!)

In 2003, David Tower published "The Magic of the Mystery Papers". It's a 36 page,5 1/2" x 8 1/2" "pamphlet" Tower's address (printed in the booklet in 2003)is DAVID TOWER P.O. BOX 1353 LEBANON MO 65536 I have no idea what the price is/was. I shouldn't think it would be more than $10---Maybe less. I would suggest that you write him and see if it's still available.

Tower talks about the history and psychology of the rrick. He suggests over a dozen different tricks. He gives excellent illustrated directions for constructing a set.

My friend, Graham Putnam, owner of FUN INC. 2100 N. Major Avenue, Chkcago, IL 60639 --- www.funinc.com phone # 773 745 3837 --- sells these (wholesale quantities) Most magic shops sell them. When I was a kid, Johnson-Smith sold them for 15 cents!!!

I wonder if your late grandfather was "Buzz" Worth!!! I knew him the season of 1946. I would guess that he was in his 30s, then.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1718 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I would hardly want to disagree with Mr. Oslund, but I think #2 would work fine. One way to approach the special moment with the papers is with the patter story you use. It can be whatever works for your presentation. Heck, you could talk about how you learned this trick from your grandfather who used to make a few bucks on the side with it. Anyway, you get to the point where the move happens and you pause, look right into the eyes of the person you are entertaining, say something serious like "nobody ever did figure out how he did this." That's the moment when you do the turn. The idea is that your pause emphasizes that what you are about to say is important. All attention comes to your face because you have apparently taken your attention off the paper. Casually resume your folding. The idea is that nobody notices that you even flipped anything.

Misdirection is all about where you get them to spend the limited amount of attention they have. If they are focused on your words, they have less ability to watch your hands.

-Patrick
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
I got the "real work" on the "papers" when I was a teenager working in a side show (magic, fire, snake lecture). I already knew the method, but, I learned from another carnie, how 5o pitch the prop, and make a "few" bucks every night.

To answer your question, I learned to use the #1 "system". Rhythm, and conditioning! I've NEVER had a mark question it.

Buzz Worth and I would catch late supper at the carnie grab joint almost every night. He was agent for a short range shooting gallery. He was mentoring me (coin sleights). I would head for his joint when we closed for the night,and we would walk down the midway to the grab joint. "Enroute", he would sell an average of 5 or 6 (sometimes more!) papers for $2.00 each. That would buy his supper, breakfast, lunch, and "smokes".

He made up his own papers. He would go to a small job printer,and buy the peper stock, have the printer cut it, and take it back to his trailer. In the morning before the "MGR" (Merry Go Round) organ started, he would make up sets of "Budda" papers. Every carnie has a hustle, and the papers were Buzz's hustle..

I swear to God there is a book here with all of your stories. You've lived a magician's dream, with the people you've met, the jobs you've had, and the lessons you've learned. And I love how you pepper in the trade lingo.I can't get enough.

Alright. That's enough ego feeding for you tonight. Carry on.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Dick, your first post in this thread is fantastic. Before reading your experience with this old trick, I would have opted for #2, believing that an invisible sleight would have made the effect more straight-forward; and that the rhythmic conditioning would have been observed as "doing something tricky".
I'm happily surprised. Thanks!
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Greetings of the Season Donnie!

Thank you for your welcome good thoughts!

I must be "honest" and suggest that #3 is not necessarily TOTALLY wrong. It's just that I learned the #1 handling, EONS ago, and, I suppose that I'm just too "concitioned" to consider any other way! Also ,it just may be that the old, "EFFECT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN METHOD", was in Buzz Worth's mind back in 1946! Or, it may be that he was just doing it "the way we've always done it"!

I'll be 83 next month, and I realized a few years ago, that it's very difficult to "UNlearn"! (especially when it's a "habit" of over 60 years!!!)

Friend Woolery's point is certainly worth chccking out! (I've also learned that just because "we've always done it that way" doesn't NECESSARILY make "it" THE way.)

Note my second post. I had just done an archaeological "dig" and "found" David Towers booklet. Again, to be honest, I had never read TOWER's handling "technique" in folding and turning over the papers. I had only read his comments about how effective he had found it to be, and how well it had sold in his shop. Then, I had skimmed through the various ideas he had found successful.

I just now,read his handling techniques, and, if my reading comprehension "still works", he does "1.

I guess I'll need to make up a set of papers, and try both ways. In Mr. Woolery's handling, he uses misdirection to take the spectator's eyes off the packet of papers. A good technique to get the spectator to look up at the performer's face, is to use the spectator's NAME. Just saying: "John!" will usually get John to took up at you for a brief moment.

When I saw "Buddha Papers" at the head of this thread, I just idly opened it, and LOOK! it has stirred up memories of my distant youth! It also has stimulated a good discussion!

See ya on the next lot!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc! --also, soon to be certified as an authentic quacksalver (if I pass the final exam.)
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5283 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
"The Magic of the Mystery Papers" can be found as an eBook on Amazon for a big $2.99 for Kindle unlimited folks it is free. Thank you Dick for the title and author of this little gem of a booklet.

I tend to use method #2 most often. The outer paper is laying flat and I am gesturing with the folded packet. The 'move' is made during a gesture and putting the smaller packet on the larger to fold it up. As a note I use newspaper as the outer sheet most often. It fits my story line. I've used brown wrapping paper tied with corse twine at the start for yet another presentation story line. This little miracle is oft overlooked but does add an interesting interlude. I can't believe that I got my first set almost 60 years ago!

As an aside, Bill Abbott uses the papers with a nice presentation as part of his professional repertoire. You can see it on one of his DVDs.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You're most welcome, Harry!

At one of our slmost daily lunches, a couple years ago, Jon Racherbaumer handed me an envelope containing David Towers booklet titled "The Magic of the Mystery Papers". A rather generic title! But, my first glance at the paper cover, confirmed my "suspicion". It was his 36 page "dissertation" (!) on what the old carnies called the "Budda papers".

I was about 11 or 12 when a pal showed me his papers. I had been reading about magic from a few library books, and had done a "show and tell" for my sixth grade class. Here was a new mystery! My friend was tired of it. The novelty had worn off. (He had done the trick, and then showed each kid spectator, how it was done. He had run out of audience. He gave this marvelous mystery to me!

Every kid, in those days, had a Johnson/Smith catalog! (J/S Co. was a mail order company from Racine, Wisconsin. J/S Co. sold a 'gezillion" novelties and booklets with titles to capture a boy's imagination, etc. Somewhat like S.S.Adams, Asbury Park, New Jersey, J/S Co. made its money, 15 and 25 cents at a time. --But, they made it! (Remember! There was no TV, then!

There were no pocket size electronic games! Well, Dick Tracy DID have a "wrist watch radio to communicate with headquarters!) But, we boys only had Captain Midnight, and Little Orphan Annie "decoder" rings and badges. Almost every kid knew the "21 card trick" or, if they were "rich", they had a little red prop called a ball vase.

With a different circle of friends, I now had new "apparatus" to augment my meager collection of paraphernalia! (and, it packed flat!!!!)

A few years later, when I was the "youthful, master magician" in a side show top, and met Buzz Worth, a fellow carnie,who was also a magician, I really appreciated how practical and useful these few scraps of paper were.

I haven't folded one in years. I may just make one up, and relive my boyhood! I wonder if it would get me a contract in Las Vegas!!! (Don't tell Mac King! --He may have competition next year.)

Your handling (after 60 years!) must be "fairly" smooth! Thanks for sharing it. Don't worry about sharing it. If it isn't electronic, or involvle aome "new principle" very few wannabee magicians will bother to give it more than a glance.

I would enjoy seeing Bill Abbott's routine!--Thanks for passing that informatipon along.

Excuse me, I gotta go buy a bottle of rubber cement...........

O

P.S.: This whole darn thread is "Douse's" fault.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1718 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Yes, Harry! I did get my understanding of how to do it from Bill Abbott's DVD on performing magic for kids. Still possibly the best bargain on a magic dvd I have ever gotten.

His presentation uses a story of a criminal making a jailbreak and the move comes at a dramatic moment in the narrative when he pauses and looks at one of the audience.

The only other version I have seen on video is on Paul Gallagher's Miracles From the Sock Drawer. He uses tax forms to illustrate the way the money paid in taxes seems to shrink by the time it comes back around. Another real bargain on a video.

Dick, when will you have that book done? I want a copy.

Patrick
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In his book "Final Curtain," Borodin has a routine that used the Buddha Papers in a very unusual way.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
If you want to screw with your magician friends at your next magic meeting, do "Hen" Fetsch's Buddha's Coin from Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, pp. 252-253.

This effect uses ungimmicked papers.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22055 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best version of this trick in my opinion was the Clark "The Senator" Crandall sold by Magic Inc. many years ago. It was done with various size giant to small money dollar bills, and had a kicker comedy ending.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Bill!

I had totally forgotten Crandall's "version" of the pepers. With your reminder, I now recall "playing" with it when I waa helping out behind the counter at Inc,

Crandall was "one of a kind"! Who else could do a card sword with an ungaffed sKimitar??? hee hee
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey friend Kabbalah!

Thanks, to you, also! Fetsch's bit with the faux "papers" is a sleeper, that you have reminded me OF! (Note Charlie Miller's use of a preposition to end a sentende WITH!!! --Charlie, and I, use the preposition, because speaking good English, is the fondest thing we are OF).

Also, note that Fetsch uses "method number "1"!!!!!

It seems that we have two "schools of thought"! (#1 and #2) and neither "school" is "wrong". IMHO, it proves again that PRESENTATION and EFFECT, is much more important than METHOD!

--And, Hen Fetsch understood THAT, if anyone did! Your "nudge" got me off of my chair, and into the library, to grab BOBO. This evening, I will do an archaeological dig and find my Cu/Ag coin. I wish I could be in New Orleans, next Monday to tease the young guys with BUDDHA'S COIN!

Now, how did you get Buddha's Coin ITALICIZED??????? I'm stuck with using CAPS!!!

Again, thanks much for the BOBO/FETSCH reference!!! (Now, I don't need to buy that rubber cement!!!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm just savoring this moment right now. I'm looking at these posts from some of the Café's most experienced and knowledgeable members, and there is respect, sharing, and just innocent, frivolous fun. Thank you. Just plain thank you.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I'm just savoring this moment right now. I'm looking at these posts from some of the Café's most experienced and knowledgeable members, and there is respect, sharing, and just innocent, frivolous fun. Thank you. Just plain thank you.

Addendum to this post. I had made it after reading several other very negative threads in other areas of the Café. Feeling quite defeated, I came here and read these uplifting contributions...from some of my favorite Café members, posting informative introspections and recollections...all good. All welcomed. And all adding to the grand pieces of the grand pie...whatever that is. And I just, well...I just felt all gushy inside.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Wiz!

OOPS! I didn't thank you for your comment above on November 11! So! >>>Thank you!<<< (Amen!)

It definitely has been a great life! --Far greater than I have deserved!

I've tried to write "the" book, in the same way, I talk. I've " thrown in" a lot of stories, and anecdotes, to add a little spice to the stew!

BTW! I had to go buy a new hat after your post! (Ego!!!)

Yes! --Re your comments just above: I'm especially happy that you noted the "respect, sharing and just innocent, frivolous fun"! Since I "joined this show", I've met and become friends with some some exceptonally talented magicians. We have a mutual respect for each other. --and, we see the humor in life!

You are most welcome, and WE thank YOU for your understanding and appreciation!

Re: "that man behind the curtain"...
When I was about 12, I met Meinhardt Raabe. He had been the Coroner of the Munchkins. He got that speaking part because he was born in Wisonsin, and had a good, clear speaking voice. Most of the other little people were foreign born, and had accents! I spent a delightful afternoon with him in Florida, about 20 years ago. It was a wonderful "jackpot" session.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Buddha Papers are one of my favorite utilities... you can perform either transpositions or transformations with them.

Look at Dean Dill's idea of using them with a nickels to dimes gimmick for a nice transposition. You can use either method with this idea, I prefer method one... If you actually make the flip part of the folding it is undetectible..

Bill Abbot markets a routine using the papers called the Boyd Mystery. He uses method two and he uses a joke during the presentation to hide it. I use this routine often (one of my favorites) and I have presented it using both methods, but the patter is truely structured to take advantage of method two and I believe it plays better if you do it the way it was intended.

So, I would say both methods have their uses and places, depending upon the effect and what you are trying to accomplish.

I think If I were pitching them though, I would probably stick to method one.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buddha Papers Mystery (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL