The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buddha Papers Mystery (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2014, misterbill wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2014, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/shadowbook3.htm

Ah you ran up the same blind alley I have.
If you look at this page: http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/books.htm
you will see that his books are now collectable but no longer available, the listing is a reference guide in case you have a chance to buy second hand copies...

yes I realised it too. it is a pitty.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I've been lucky enough to see Brother Shadow performing a couple of his 'Buddha Papers' routines.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
You understand!

The little subtleties in the handling and display, are, of course, a factor, (here comes the "but"!) but, the performer and his presentation, are always much more important than the prop!

A change bag could accomplish the same effect, but the papers are so innocent!

Thanks, Mr. Oslund, you are a great teacher. I wish I could just sit down with you for few minutes someday. Smile

Quote:
On Dec 3, 2014, Quentin wrote:
I've been lucky enough to see Brother Shadow performing a couple of his 'Buddha Papers' routines.

You /know/ I am jealous now! I want that booklet just so I can know what the plots to those routines are, they sound so intriguing!
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
You /know/ I am jealous now! I want that booklet just so I can know what the plots to those routines are, they sound so intriguing!

Not as good as the one you're going to discover on your own!
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I was able to purchase a copy of this book. Thanks to all who helped.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
GRRRR! I hate you! (hee hee hee) --THREE "HEES"!)

Now, we MUST meet somehow, somewhere, some day!!!

The "saga" of the the "Budda" (carny pronunciation!) Papers continues.......................................

(Still "with it, and for it, and not yet up against it!)

The itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks to this delightful thread, I have made myself a set of Buddha Papers; what a great trick!

Thank you, gentlemen. This really is the most civilised area on the Café.

Tom
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, MagiCol wrote:
Mark Lewis says "The most famous buddha papers pitchman was Mickey McDougall otherwise known as the Card Detective."
Maybe some of you are aware of Mickey?

MacDougall sold the Budda papers as "Mickey's Marvelous Money Mystery". The instruction sheet which accompanied the papers says "copyright 1926".

As a pitchman, MacDougall is best remembered for his work with the Svengali Deck. It's interesting to note that MacDougall first became interested in magic at the age of ten, when he himself purchased a Svengali Deck from a pitchman working the corner of Fifth and Market Street in downtown Philadelphia.

Long before becoming Mickey MacDougall "The Card Detective", he was Samuel MacDougall "The Svengali Kid" working a string of South American night clubs.

With regards to MacDougall and the Buddha Papers Mystery, here is what Rhadamanthus Jr. (Theo Annemann) wrote in 1941 ...

"And then came the Hindu Paper Mystery. Don't sneer, just read on and get educated. Nothing but the old pitchman's gag - the same old paper folding hoax that you have seen at any carnival or on any street corner, but it was dressed up into a masterpiece. First Mickey demonstrated it from the platform with a few coins. Then papers were passed among the audience, and under the master's instructions, they did it in their own laps and fooled themselves - and don't think that they weren't fooled. Of course they took the papers home to fool their friends, and it did no harm to have Mickey's name printed at the top."
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2014, Harry Murphy wrote:
"The Magic of the Mystery Papers" can be found as an eBook on Amazon for a big $2.99 for Kindle unlimited folks it is free. Thank you Dick for the title and author of this little gem of a booklet.

I bought this one - at $2.99 you can't go wrong - and was pleasantly surprised to find some ideas that are very well worth exploring for me! After all, the papers are "just" a device to change one small, flat object for another small, flat object. But the booklet indeed offers some very nice routines and then some advice on how to make your own papers and how to make them last longer. An absolute bargain!
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
WalMart in store ads make great papers.
Added bonus of pictures and print to sell the deal.
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Here, I believe to be the best handling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPodqYLog90
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 26, 2015, Magicray69 wrote:

Well, friend Magicray59, you are certainly entitled to your OPINION!

I wonder if you read the entire thread!

I still prefer #1, not, #2, which is the handling in the video you provided.

"DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM!" (CONCERNING TASTES, WE CANNOT ARGUE.)

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, & surreptitious itineratnt mountebank
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I looked this up on Google. I know the trick you are talking about now. I learned this from my fifth grade teacher who was a semi pro magician. I wrote this up in a book that my agent is pitching. I can PM you with this trick with the misdirection I use. I pitched this at a magic shop and the misdrection worked. When I taught this to the kids who bought, they always remembered to do the misdirection I taught them.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On May 26, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
I still prefer #1, not, #2

Would THIS be a good example of your preferred method?

THIS method seems to use misterbill's idea of incorporating the flip into the fold (or in this case into the unfold).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 28, 2015, Brad Jeffers wrote:
Quote:
I still prefer #1, not, #2

Would THIS be a good example of your preferred method?

THIS method seems to use misterbill's idea of incorporating the flip into the fold (or in this case into the unfold).

Three DEMONSTRATIONS and each one different!

The first one by the adult with the papers in a nice package, was the best of the three. Not quite the way that I learned it back in 1946, but,still, the best of the three demos.

Sorry to say. the young man who first exposed the method and then "explained" (?) how to make up the papers, was the WORST explanation, handling, and "performance" that I have ever seen. He fumbled the handling, did a slopppy job of making the gaffed paper, so that it was obviously gaffed, and didn't turn over each paper. It's necessary to turn over EACH paper as the bundle is opened to put in the penny, and then turned over as each paper is folded. When the bundle is opened. Each paper should be unfolded.

The folding of each paper, and the turnover each time, conditions the mind. (You are "hiding the elephant in a herd of elephants"!!!)

The European guy did not even do a turnover.

I was taught to fold in the sides first, then the wide fold, and in turning over the paper, the "flap" is automatically folded.

EC0NOMY OF MOTION!!!!! The kid fumbled, mumbled and was running without being chased. I am reminded of OKITO, sitting in the front row at a magic club public show. the klutz on stage was fumbling the most simple actions. Okito said: "BUTCHER!!!"

I hope this helps. If you aren't sure, scroll up the first page of this thread, and send the guy a couple of bucks for his pamphlet and sample set of papers.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I spent fifteen minutes writing a reply and didn't hit the submit button firmly enough. I'll try to come back tomorrow.--sorry!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
Quote:
On May 26, 2015, Magicray69 wrote:

Well, friend Magicray59, you are certainly entitled to your OPINION!

I wonder if you read the entire thread!

I still prefer #1, not, #2, which is the handling in the video you provided.

"DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM!" (CONCERNING TASTES, WE CANNOT ARGUE.)

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, & surreptitious itinerant mountebank

Hey Ray~! I apologize for that rather curt note. I put my mouth in gear, before my brain was engaged! --when I wondered if you had read the entire thread. That was an uncalled for remark.

Dick
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Is it time to resurrect this thread?

My interest in said effect was resparked since I recently (and finally!) purchased the complete "The Phoenix" from Lybrary. Enjoying it immensely!

But back on topic. Scanning though the index I saw the "Buddha papers" under the "apparatus" heading. The effect that actually uses the buddha papers is "PURSEPOSE" by F.V. Schoneck in Issue 173, page 694 which is a nice "sucker" version of the Buddha papers. The additional props are easy to make too. I think I'll try this out at the next magic fellowship !

Phil
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Phil!

Your post yesterday, caught my ancient eyes, as I scrolled through the Café this AM.

The title had grabbed me "5 years ago". I got involved, and, others, too. It grew into a very worthwhile thread, with fine posts.

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised, if you do it at your next fellowship,

Over the past 9 years, I've become a bit discouraged, when I read the posts of those who only buy the "latest and greatest toys".
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
IMHO

It doesn’t matter if you use #1 or #2.

First of all, the whole thing looks like a gimmick setup so you are not really selling magic. You are selling a puzzle.

Then, if you think the audience will track how you flip the paper, they are on to you anyway.

Though, saying it is a packet to save some valuable thing is admirable.

As magic, I would never consider doing this as magic.

However, there is one pitch that would force me to do it every show.

This is from a story that Karrell Fox shared with me one day hanging around the Fox Fun n Magic shop.

Mr. Fox claims he was doing a show for a bunch of high rolling bank guys and pulled out a Buddha papers packet.

A cheap trick for a bunch of rich guys.

In his routine he gets these dollar shaped pieces of white paper and draws a dollar bill.

He scribbles a rough drawing of Washington and puts some ones and zeros in the corners.

Then he does the work.

Now, instead of printing (?) a dollar bill, a thousand dollar bill comes out.

Then he sez, “Oops, I put the decimal point in the wrong place.”

I cannot relate how much of an impact that bit has had on me.

I have listened to Mr. Fox’s ideas many times.

His thoughts have shaped many of the routines I consider my best.

Mr. Fox added, “When you do tricks with money you have their attention.”

The only thing keeping me from doing this is that I might be mugged after the show.

If you really want to do this, find a picture of a thousand dollar bill on the internet and print it.

The result is awesome but I would also print a line on each side of the bill saying, “THIS IS NOT LEGAL TENDER”

Better than that, get a picture of a $10,000 bill. They do exist but are not used for public transfer of money.

All the best.

Al
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buddha Papers Mystery (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL