The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Disturbing Distributions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Hello All,

I've been successfully playing with two card effects--neither of which I know the actual mechanics behind. The first one is as such: A participant riffle shuffles a deck seven times and then starts dealing two cards at a time. You have predicted in advance that there will be a pair of cards that equal a 21 Black Jack hand. You are, of course, correct. I half-way understand this because if black jack hands did not come up nobody would play blackjack, right?

The second effect is a bit more curious. A Red deck of cards is given to one participant who shuffles seven times. The Blue deck is given to a different participant who shuffles it seven times.

Cards are flipped over one at a time from both decks and invariably two of the cards flipped match completely--suit and value. Now, this doesn't happen every single time but it happens MOST of the time from what I am understanding, seeing,and doing.

Can someone here help me find any source material as to the mechanics, hows, and why's of these effects? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Dale

The card matching happens about 63% of the time. I actually mention this phenomenon in my new book. It is based on e the base of the natural logarithm.

Larry
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
This page explains the math for the second effect.

http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2010/04/06/subfactorial/

Mike
Alex McInroy
View Profile
New user
Corning, NY
71 Posts

Profile of Alex McInroy
I was going to bring up derangements but it's covered. As for the first effect, it's not sure-fire. Imagine the deck was stacked A-5-A-5-A-5-A-5 on top. There could be no blackjacks. What you're banking on is that of the 20 cards valued at "10," one of them will get paired with an ace. Seems like a safe bet but I didn't bother crunching it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
There's a brilliant card effect by Tomas Blomberg based on this fact. Even better, the workings and mathematics to that effect are buried somewhere in this very section of the Café. Happy hunting!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Disturbing Distributions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL