The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1652 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Good question, this.

Is the Goshman Ding-dong MORE offensive if it's black? Or is it funnier? I really don't know. I mean, obviously it plays to the stereotype that black guys are, shall we say, well-blessed. Does that soften a racial gag (because it's sort of complimentary) or does it make no difference? Perhaps it's only OK to perform if you are yourself black?

From my picture you can tell that I'm not really qualified to judge its offence. Perhaps some black members (ahem...) would offer an opinion?

For the record, I don't think I'd risk it myself - even if we were not living in hyper-sensitive times.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1839 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The Goshman thing is red, corresponding to no one's color as far as I know. What it depicts is its value. Adding a racial commentary, I think, does not add anything to the effect and might even be a distraction. But to each his own.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
617 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
I bet there aren't a lot of Amazing Jonathan fans (wish I'd have seen him one last time) who posted about how awful this material reads to be huh? Perhaps the early days of Penn and Teller gave them visions of the Prestigitation apocalypse as well? Probably not big on Harry Anderson or the geek magic thing either "Well I never...Gertrude that man just ate a guinea pig as punishment for screwing up his act then snubbed his nose at the producers when he was told to say he really didn't do it." The gall of those who go against the grain eh?

Don't want no Carlin cussing in their comedy or Drug references around their tea!

Comedy and magic are very personal things youngsters and even though I can Waltz in a Tux and be at home in a boardroom I still often like my magic quick, my comedy raw like a good Prime Rib, and my Jameson's served up neat in a dive bar with real men and loose women. Oh by the way in joints like this I've seen some of the most mind blowing finger flinging (insert explitive) magic you are ever likely to see. But don't worry the people who would be offended wouldn't be allowed entrance in the first place.

I prefer Mae West and WC Fields over Bozo and Poly over Polyanna.

Got news for some of you folks. It's not blue material that harms the art. It's the poorly practiced Prima Donnas peddling pre-chewed perfectly pasteurized pseudo magic - about as edgy and relevant as... well...the tired old crap they imitate. Renounce that sterile old offal if you really love m mu muh Magic.

You go Ross. Funny is as funny does.
I'll buy it although I'm far too elevated to ever soil myself by performing it.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
617 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Oh who am I kidding... I'll perform the ever lovin' $#!¥ outta the £₩€£!%@ £¥@£#*$. Me pirate mates'll love the $#!+ out of it I'm sure. Hopefully the sacred art will recover from the overt sacrilege I impose on it.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I would support Vlad's point from another stand point.

We all complain that magic is often not considered as an art. Many of us are trying to keep it up or elevate it to the art that it actually is. This type of effects is not doing it and damages the work of many of us.

This being said, I would separate the tricks referring to smoking pot as, with a good script, it could be a way to revive cigarette effects that have become politically more incorrect in the US than the ones about smoking pot. It seems absurd to me as a European, but... David Stone had a routine with a cigarette and a lighter which could never be in the hands together preventing the performer to be able to smoke. Ron Jaxon also published a sort of paddle routine with a cigarette which always brings the filter of the cigarette at the wrong end... Thus a joint may not be as offensive as cigarette trick. This being said 99% of the performers will never take the trouble to write a proper script, learn it, rehearse it with acting and body language inference. These performers will rely only on the shoking aspect of the effect itself and, in so doing, bring magic down as an art form: not every one of us is a Tom Mullica to get away with this type of effects

The bill to condom package has some potential for a subtle sexy routine (and sex references offer an emotional potential for real magic...), but it also offers more easily a slope towards filthy magic... and how many magicians are really subtle and amongst them, which one will go in that direction or put in the work for sexy to remain socially acceptable, entertaing AND truly magical?
Now as far as the card in tampon is concerned, it's not sexy, it's just gore and will only reflect badly on the performer. Why not paint the tampon with some bloody color since you're at it? Performers of this type of effect will hide behind the fact that some spectators will laugh... like our Japanese friends laugh to show their embarrassment... but over the time, there is nothing good to be expected from performing this type of effects and the image of magic has everything to lose in being associated with it.

All in all, I don't see more than one or two performers in the world who can convey anything good with most of the effects in this DVD + gimmicks.

The only positive thing that I could find in this, is that some performers were using Al Goshman's Ding Dong effect in such an embarrassing way that the DVD probably offers a way to use the prop from a shameful performance into a poor taste one ... still not elevating magic into an art form but bringing magic down to serving their own lack of self respect.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
robd
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of robd
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2014, ross welford wrote:
Good question, this.

Is the Goshman Ding-dong MORE offensive if it's black? Or is it funnier? I really don't know. I mean, obviously it plays to the stereotype that black guys are, shall we say, well-blessed. Does that soften a racial gag (because it's sort of complimentary) or does it make no difference? Perhaps it's only OK to perform if you are yourself black?

From my picture you can tell that I'm not really qualified to judge its offence. Perhaps some black members (ahem...) would offer an opinion?

For the record, I don't think I'd risk it myself - even if we were not living in hyper-sensitive times.

Its not complimentary to make jokes pandering to a stereotype (hey you guys dance really well too! What? I'm being complimentary!)
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1839 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
They dance so well because they have natural rhythm.
Low Key
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Low Key
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2014, Eric Ross wrote:
LOL! I've stole nothing from "Cards Against Humanity" except simplicity.

Just becuase I use white text on a black background, does NOT make it a "Cards Against Humanity" Rip off. LOL! Sorry, they do NOT own this idea.

Cheers, Ross Smile

I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, it was an genuine question.

You might want to talk to whoever does your ad copy though, this is an extract from the mass PM Steve Brooks sent me (and presumably the rest of the Café)

Quote:
The #1 selling card game on Amazon.com, Cards Against Humanity--is now a filthy, offensive and powerful MAGIC EFFECT collection!!

Announcing Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross

It confused me, and while I'm easily confused I doubt I was the only person who took this to mean the two were related
Eric Ross
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Eric Ross
Ahh.. I see.. Nope, not my ad.. Smile

But very clever marketing idea..

Thanks!

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1231 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Mister Vlad_77 and Mister Lawrence O,
I will report your posts !
How dare you to slander and to asperse this wonderful product?
A product that can (and certainly will) elevate our Art to unknown heights.

And I, who believed you were both respectable people.
Richard Ross and Tommy Wonder were good friends of me. I am sure they too, would have been very angry at both of you.

Mmm, as an afterthought: maybe not. Maybe they would have been perplexed and dazed that your reactions are in the minority here.
And that they are in the minority, my friends, is the most alarming fact for the Art of magic.
The art of magic has become a (sad and tasteless) joke.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3007 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Any art does well occasionally not to take itself too seriously.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Eric Ross
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Eric Ross
Wellsaid MaxfieldsMagic.. Well Said indeed..

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1326 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
You're plainly trading on the name, concept, reputation and visual design of Cards Against Humanity to sell your product.

Since Cards Against Humanity is protected by trademark, and trademarks must be vigorously defended lest they be lost, you should expect some legal action from the trademark holder.
Paul Nova
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn, New York
1 Post

Profile of Paul Nova
I could see how the material would be offensive to most, but I will be working a burlesque show which caters to the very type that would love it!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2014, Tim Cavendish wrote:
You're plainly trading on the name, concept, reputation and visual design of Cards Against Humanity to sell your product.

Since Cards Against Humanity is protected by trademark, and trademarks must be vigorously defended lest they be lost, you should expect some legal action from the trademark holder.

I doubt it. Both are based on the original, non-trademarked term "Crimes Against Humanity."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
The Goshman thing is red, corresponding to no one's color as far as I know.

It was originally a trick about a dog.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1326 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2014, Tim Cavendish wrote:

I doubt it. Both are based on the original, non-trademarked term "Crimes Against Humanity."

Except Tricks Against Humanity's visual design is directly based on the registered trademarked logo of Cards Against Humanity:

"Cards Against Humanity" and the CAH logos are trademarks of Cards Against Humanity LLC.

http://www.trademarkia.com/cards-against......633.html

Also, as noted, the PM advert for Tricks Against Humanity sent by Steve Brooks to the Café's 59,743 registered members invoked Cards Against Humanity and asserted a direct relationship between them, which plainly demonstrates (and likely further exacerbates) confusion in the marketplace, the prevention of which is the raison d'etre of trademarks.

Quote:
The #1 selling card game on Amazon.com, Cards Against Humanity--is now a filthy, offensive and powerful MAGIC EFFECT collection!!

Announcing Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

There would be a legal question if the products were likely to be confused with one another. That's highly unlikely.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

There would be a legal question if the products were likely to be confused with one another. That's highly unlikely.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1326 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Card games and magic DVDs trade in the same category of Toys.

Cards Against Humanity owns the registered mark in that category, and Tricks Against Humanity's name and logo are derivative on their face.

That's enough to argue theoretical confusion in the marketplace. Brook's advert demonstrates it, asserting a direct connection between the products.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL