The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Haunted Bookstand (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
As per your requests.

Designed to really give my Dopps a truly proper "frame" for my own personal style:

http://www.carcosa-collection.com/thresh......temid=37

I look forward to your feedback.

Inner workings and further secrets would be dealt with down below if people are interested at some point.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Hello Dr. I appreciate the DIY instructions. However, I could not attempt it as I live in a condo, my neighbors would love that.

The price seems about right for the ability to slam shut - have it revolve and to know when an item is taken or replaces on one of the holding panels. Considering what we pay for the books and the shelf construction, it's justifiable.

I would love to see a version with an interchangeable music stand "legs" or other ground support option. It would have to be balanced properly to accommodate the weight etc. Surface space is sometimes a challenge and carrying an extra table to accommodate may not be practical at times.

I love the display aspect. I think its the way to go for stage and parlor or to have at home, so it's versatile and classy.

One of the challenges to having beautiful books, is being able to show them off properly while individually bring them into play with style.

Thanks for sharing.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Spektor Phd,

This is marvelous! Unexpected style, yet has that old world flava.

Can you change the tilt angles or are they locked?
Are there page markers to hold the books open, if desired?
Do you ever intend to have guests stand at the stand and read "from the pulpit"? That could be an interesting presentation style too.

The adaptations you have built in sound perfect. There's a certain TI application that appeals to me very much.

Bravo,
Perks
The Séance Party
http://www.theseanceparty.com
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Video for non gaffed construction so you can see it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SD_jlH7Ez8
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hi,

Luckily I have a garage Smile

Its easy enough to add a tripod - if you also check out places like Restoration Hardware - you'll see various stands you can adapt. I just usually put it on any table - bring a table covering cloth if you like too... anyway, with a cart, I usually crate around things including my Jeff's backdrop and other things - so once you get in the habit of having a system, this isn't too hard to add to the mix at all.

The angles change - the stand is pretty much like a Jefferson stand - just the base is removable, there are some magnets and things to keep the panels in place, and some ahem hidden things Smile

Indeed, when I have used it for Dopps, the people come up and choose books - the key of course is they take it with them - you don't want all the books open for examination of course... hee her

Page markers are not part of this but I have my own - I shudder and laying books open for harming the spines - but for some already damaged that way - they look great outspread....

Yep TI indeed Smile - Perkins, PM me if you want to chat about that.

And the video posted - yep, that ties into the PDF I posted from the same guy that links to it.

However, there are about 5-6 variations out there.... but the classic is the best. Watch the video from the wood working fellow - some cool history and its roots to France... but also some cool things about american coins etc.

Oh, I have used this for AES GOETIA presentation too with the Book of the 9 Gates, Darkspell and other goodies
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Very nice bookstand.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Cudos on your ceation Dr S, it is lovely.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I love the book stand!

thank you for sharing this with us Bruce!
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
Wow. Thanks for sharing!
That is a seriously beautiful bookstand. What an undertaking - especially to trick it out!
Clearly very well worth the effort!

I'm afraid this one is a little out of the scope of my talents.

I'm recalling my wood shop teacher calling me up to his desk in the 9th grade......

Teacher - "Smith! Do you know why I'm giving you a C in wood shop?"

Me - "No sir"

Teacher - "Because no one has ever gotten a D in wood shop!"

Thanks for the photos and the videos. Fun to check out!
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
My wood shop teacher had 9 fingers, true story.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Old joke:

A [FILL IN THE BLANK] got a job at a sawmill. Just before lunch on his first day, he lost a finger. When asked
how he lost it, he replied, "I just touched this big spinning thing here like thi...Damn! There goes another one!"
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
423 Posts

Profile of minty
Smashing, Dr Spektor. Much respect to you. And thanks for sharing.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Smile impressive. How long did it take to build?
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Book stand looks incredible, I would expect no less from you.
The warmth of the wood really sets the amazing tone.

Kotah
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Wonderful Bruce.
I love the way it messes with the conventions of shelves, spinning extra axes, off set...very metaphorical for the type of books no doubt you'll be resting upon them! ;-)
[
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
:wow: impressive. How long did it take to build?

Toying since May... active in July - just finished in time for last week of October to get it into some Halloween presentations (yeah ~ 4months.... but I am sure a good wood worker can make something like this wayyyyy quicker!) - still tinkering with various gaffs and gimmicks with it.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Could you share some of the gaffs and gimmicks you are adding - perhaps down below?
Thanks
Winks Smile
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2014, Winks wrote:
Could you share some of the gaffs and gimmicks you are adding - perhaps down below?
Thanks
Winks Smile

Yes more down below
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Wow, very cool Haunted Bookstand.
You are quite the carpenter and designer!
I would love to take it for a spin Smile
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Eddie - hold your arms out, put a book in each hand and one in your teeth and twirl. All wood. Same concept. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Haunted Bookstand (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL