The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghost in the Machine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
A friendly reminder to 'Spooky' members.
Download your files to a hard drive !!!
I have lost many PDF's and email addresses with a motherboard crash.
Luckily, I did have half of my PDF's loaded to a hard drive, but not sure I can recover the others now.
I will have to contact many of you again to get your email addy's.
I'm online with an old notebook, I just use for a last option backup !
Just wanted to remind members here to backup, so you do not have to go through this !
Again, no telling how many Magick PDF's I will have lost if I can not recover them ! Smile

Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Firstly files and information are not stored on motherboards. They would have been stored on an internal hard drive. All hard drives are subject to failure after enough time. So really it's important to have back ups either to an external hard drive or storage medium or to a cloud drive. I store my PDF's in my Google drive which creates a duplicate on googles servers so if I have catostphic hard drive failure my files are safe.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1491 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
OUCH, sorry to hear G. I always run back up files, pics, PDF's, magic & all my SFX audio to both 2 separate hard drives & burn to 2 data DVD disc - no way in h3ll I plan on loosing anything unless the world comes to an end !

If there's anything I can help you with.....PDF's you lost I may have....
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Yikes sorry to hear that bites.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1491 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
You can pull the hard drive out & recover the files, had to do that myself a few times in the past with a special dongle to upload info off to my main tower. A PC shop should be able help.....
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
[quote]On Nov 15, 2014, Mad0hatter wrote:
Firstly files and information are not stored on motherboards.

Got that !
Motherboard went out, taking out screen.
Tried to hook up to another monitor, but would not work.
Could not hook up external hard drive to see connections. I have many files transferred to a Passport Elite.
Will have to have hard drive removed to see if downloads can be recovered.

Also, Thanks for help offers ! Smile

Will see where I am at towards middle of week, and purchase of new computer !

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Depending on the format of the drive and operating system i.e windows xp, you could simply buy a hard drive docking station or external case and plug the drive in a new computer and navigate manually through the folders. PM me for more info.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, Mad0hatter wrote:
Firstly files and information are not stored on motherboards.

Got that !
Motherboard went out, taking out screen.
Tried to hook up to another monitor, but would not work.
Could not hook up external hard drive to see connections. I have many files transferred to a Passport Elite.
Will have to have hard drive removed to see if downloads can be recovered.

Also, Thanks for help offers ! Smile

Will see where I am at towards middle of week, and purchase of new computer !

~G
Both of my last two computers had lightning run in and ruin the mother board and every-piece of equipment back to where the cord comes out of the wall. Both those time I took the HD out and simple added it as a second drive to the next computer. So depending on the reason for the failure it may be possible like others have said to remove the HD and either plug it into a docking station or if you're not afraid to open your pc add it on as a secondary drive.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I use Dropbox pro to solve this and other issues with storing files. It lets me access everything I own from any device that I put there. Example my iPad is on 16gb but I can stream every magic video or PDF I own on it. It also allows me to save things sent to me or linked from the web. straight to it. it's like 10 a month and I don't have external hard drives or thumb drives to carry around. There is a free version and a pay version. The pay one I think is like $10 a month for 100 fb. Microsoft has the one drive as well
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Sorry. I'm at work and was typing fast. 100gigs is what I meant allong with to multiple other errors in my post. It was to late to edit
Xizzy
View Profile
Regular user
Italy!
166 Posts

Profile of Xizzy
I use crashplan for my cloud backups.
i lost too much valuable and irreplaceable data in the past.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
All is good, up and running with NO pdf losses ! Smile
Now I do own a new lap top with touch, It Rocks !

~G
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghost in the Machine (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL