The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Feeling overwhelmed (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
A very wise magician gave me the very best advice. Decide on what close up skill you want to do the most. You may have to try one of each (i.e. cards, coins, sponge balls, etc.) to find what is most comfortable for you. Pick one trick and stay with it until you have mastered it. Then move on to a new one. Always have a parlor trick that you can work on when you take a break from the close up trick. Too many magicians have closets of books and tricks that they want to do and get frustrated because they can't learn them all. Follow the above advice. Good luck.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Great advice. I think we (especially us newbies) get so wrapped up in trying to learn a little bit of everything at the same time...that, in the end, we don't really learn much of anything. Then we become discouraged, and some quit. It's not a race. It's a lifestyle Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
OzJosh
View Profile
New user
Australia
95 Posts

Profile of OzJosh
What an Amazing lifestyle.
the guys at my work drop there jaws and say, this is why I do the magic.
my fav is, what the F#@K. you have no sleaves
Magic is the ability to lie and people to love you for it and want you to lie to them again and again and again
www.redtopbox.com.au
^^^^^ has some really cool things on it
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
There has been loads of great advice here I would recomend buying a few books (not DVDs) and studying them thoroughly, because in my opinion it is really easy to sidetrack and have 30 books/DVDs at home that you have never even studied properly (you only watched half of it etc.) and those books might have some really good tricks in them.
Of course with mister Lorayne's work you can't go wrong, he is a living legend Smile
I just loved Card C0llege to I think it is one of my favourite magic books (series)

Shadowstalker
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3566 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
OzJosh,

I can relate. I think it is helpful to watch some good lectures, pick a few effects that you really like, and play around with them, changing them, making them your own, combining things, coming up with good stories for them, etc. Some of my favorite lecturers include Dave Williamson and Mark Mason.

KJ
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
All great advice, and I remember when I was starting out and had the Tannen's Catalog. I carried that thing everywhere, making notes and such. As a working pro, I have gotten down to 10 tricks that I know forwards and backwards. I heartily recommend Mr. Lorayne's book "The Magic Book" and Tarbell One. I still get that "kid in a candy store" feeling especially around this time of year. What to buy, what to play with, what to add and subtract from the act. If you like cards..Card College is great, and I love the John Carey dvds. I would also recommend an Invisible Deck..it's a great out for a card trick gone wrong.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
What you will find is that after a while, most if not all of the gimmicks, magic shop goodies, and toys wind up a drawer somewhere and you will be doing routines involving sleight of hand using cards, rope, silks, and rings... things that you learned from books.

That doesn't mean you should skip this phase in your learning... it teaches us to value the real secrets of magic.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3566 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2014, misterbill wrote:
What you will find is that after a while, most if not all of the gimmicks, magic shop goodies, and toys wind up a drawer somewhere and you will be doing routines involving sleight of hand using cards, rope, silks, and rings... things that you learned from books.

That doesn't mean you should skip this phase in your learning... it teaches us to value the real secrets of magic.

I agree, mostly. I find myself focusing more and more on effects with sleights. However, when doing a show, I still use "gimmicks"

kj
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Feeling overwhelmed (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL