The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » I need a pea. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
Well actually I need more than one. I've been given a very nice set of shells in a presentation case, but there are no peas with the shells (would they normally come with some?). I've never used shells before, so I don't have the faintest idea of what to look for in a pea.

Could anyone suggest a place to get the necessary peas, and a good book or DVD which would give me some tips on what to do with the shells. I've seen shell routines done, so I know what they look like, but I don't have any idea of where to start.

Thanks,

David.
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
The best place to get peas from is the School for Scoundrels. They also have a forthcoming book on the shells, but the site will tell you all that there is now. Here's where to go: http://www.chefanton.com/entertain/SSshellgame.htm

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5257 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Ditto on cataquet's School for Scoundrels recommendation. Don't waste your time and money on anything else.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Well, the bathroom is just down the hall.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Quote:
On 2004-01-29 17:22, Astinus wrote:
Well, the bathroom is just down the hall.

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone would say something like that! Smile
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
You can also order a set of peas from http://www.threeshellgame.com/shellshop/

Andrew Pinard, who runs the store, is a top professional in his field, easy to deal with and quick at sending out all orders. In addition to selling quality peas, he also sells the famed Maggiore Shells.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5257 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-01-29 17:32, jlevey wrote:
You can also order a set of peas from http://www.threeshellgame.com/shellshop/

The pea he sells on his WEB site is the School for Scoundrels pea.
Mark Young
View Profile
New user
south florida
33 Posts

Profile of Mark Young
I would suggest Bob Kohlers "Golden Shells" video to learn a basic routine and get some "Perfect Peas" after that check out Bob Sheets video for some really cool moves and more advanced work.

Mark
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I understand that some guys cut their peas from a makeup sponge and color them with a green permanent marker.
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
When I first started practicing this trick, I did like the old-timers. That is I bought a bag of nuts, found the best looking 3, carefully split them cleaned them and rounded the inside with putty. As for the peas I just bought a bag of dried peas, kept 5, and boiled the rest then blended them in a nice pea soup.
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
My first set was three genuine walnut shells with two black! sponge peas, the old kind like they used to make sponges balls from. I got it from Kanter's Magic.

After a few years the "Pea" dried out and no replacements were to be found, at least not by me.

The sets by Whit are indeed the best - and you know, green has always been a rather nice color for a pea.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-01-31 06:38, sniper1 wrote:
When I first started practicing this trick, I did like the old-timers. That is I bought a bag of nuts, found the best looking 3, carefully split them cleaned them and rounded the inside with putty. As for the peas I just bought a bag of dried peas, kept 5, and boiled the rest then blended them in a nice pea soup.

I'd really like to hear more about this. What kind of surface did you work on? What sort of moves did you do?

Must have been more like thimble-rig than the shell game. Anyway, sure sounds interesting.

It must have given you many original ideas working that way.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
Whit's "Perfect Peas" are the best I've ever used - but they make lousy soup!

Riley Smile
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
You didn't cook them long enough. They have a delicate flavor, with a faint hint of vinyl.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5257 Posts

Yeah, but the magnetic ones stick to my fillings.
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
But they are chewy.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-01-31 05:24, Alan Munro wrote:
I understand that some guys cut their peas from a makeup sponge and color them with a green permanent marker.

Rather than a permanent marker, you might try some liquid latex like the kind you find in a clown or costume shop. You can color it with some acrylic paint (they're both water soluble before drying and mix well) to get that perfect color.

The rubbery coating over the sponge makes it very nice to work with, or so I've heard. I haven't made any for myself as I don't do that routine, but I've seen some handmade ones done like this by others and according to them they're perfect.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
sebastian
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of sebastian
As far as shell routines, there's also Gary Ouellet's Supershells routine, which is put out by the Camirand Academy of Magic. Should be available from their website. Smile
I am Sebastian, a sixteenth century pirate.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-02-04 21:04, MageofMeadows wrote:
Rather than a permanent marker, you might try some liquid latex like the kind you find in a clown or costume shop. You can color it with some acrylic paint (they're both water soluble before drying and mix well) to get that perfect color.

The rubbery coating over the sponge makes it very nice to work with, or so I've heard. I haven't made any for myself as I don't do that routine, but I've seen some handmade ones done like this by others and according to them they're perfect.

Latex covered sponge and hollow latex peas are a relatively recent invention, and have been created and used almost exclusively by magicians. I have made many, and have used peas made by some of the best--Harry Anderson, Karl Norman, Bruce Martyn and others.

They can look great, and because they can become so flat, they can go in and out of the shell without any visible movement of the shell. They also are very easy to grip in the various pinch positions.

Unfortunately, they only work on good performing surfaces--usually a magician's mat. Since they do not work on slick surfaces like wood, glass, marble, or cardboard, the advantage of going flat is lessened considerably.

Latex does not wear well, and will deteriorate fairly quickly in moderate use. The friction that keeps the pea going in and out wears off, and the pea simply quits working--usually in the middle of a performance. Moistening the pea can sometimes help for a while, but usually the pea needs to be replaced pretty soon.

The frustration of trying to get a latex pea to perform consistently over any period of time has driven many performers away from the game.

To make a pea the way the real street guys do--one that never loses its friction and works on any surface--you can take a green pencil eraser from a No 2 pencil and carve it into a rough round shape with a pair of eyebrow scissors.

The other common peas one finds on the street just don't have the look that an entertainer would want. These are made from knotted rubber bands, or moistened tinfoil from a cigarette pack.

I highly recommend the Perfect Pea. It has many advantages over any of these other types. I've tried them all.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
This just occurred to me. I've never seen it in print, but I'm not really up to speed on this one. Although it's pretty crass, it just sounds like a natural combination: Has anyone ever tried ending their three shell game with a pea can?

You know, a "test condition" type ending where the spectator puts a finger on an empty shell, and the pea is sealed in a metal container. (Perhaps that's where it is carried.) The pea appears under the shell, and the rest is, well, "comedy"?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » I need a pea. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL