The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » HELP- Buying tricks online without demo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Helo guys...
I'm just curious how do you guys know what tricks to buy online without the online demo...Do you guys just read the reviews?
coz you won't know how good it really is until you see it being performed...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Gee, growing up the only info I had to purchase a trick on was short discription in a catalog.

How did I know it was any good, I had to spend my money and try it out myself.

Boy, spoiled people today.

Smile
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
Use forums like this one! Search the archives or post a question. I'm sure many beginners have saved themselves from wasting some money because of demo videos and online forums. It's a good thing too, given how expensive some of this stuff is.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I agree with ashah. Do a search here in Café before you buy anything. Not only will you find information about the effect, but you may also find a better variation.

I was thinking about purchasing Slow Burn, then did a search to find that there were two other similar effects taught on separate DVDs with different variations.

Do a search in several forums though, as I've noticed the subject matter can be classified into several areas.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Personally, I find this forum to be FAR more helpful in the buying of effects than on-line demos, which can often be as deceptive as the tricks they advertise.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Online demos can't do justice to every trick. (mentalism for instance). The way I determine what material to get is from reading reviews, testimonials (I have great respect for certain individuals opinions), how the description sounds, the reputation of the creator (their track record). A demo is certainly welcome, but only certain types of tricks can be demo'd
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One thing I have found very useful is to call a reputable dealer (note the word "reputable") and ask him or her about the performing conditions and how they would apply to my act.

If you will cultivate one or two good "bricks and mortar" dealers, you will lessen your chance of buying things you can't use.

Since regular customers are getting harder to find in these days of the internet, regular customers are treasured by good dealers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mystic mickey
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mystic mickey
I stopped buying magic I have not see in person at least once, now some dealers(if you spend over a greand with them) will send you something to try...if it doesn't work they will take it back for a restocking fee. Buy blind over the web, save for books, videos and DVD is a rough biz...there is still the wonder mouse fear that all you get is a black hunk of wax and a piece of 12 gauge copper wire for 49.95. As around, check reviews, check my lovely assistent.com, do research aplenty before you buy.
MM
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
I would buy books and videos from Magicians that you personally like. For example, anything that Michael Ammar or Bill Malone comes out with, must be good. This goes for Daryl as well. Short descriptions of trick can be deceiving. Just like anything, it usually sounds much better than it plays.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » HELP- Buying tricks online without demo (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL