The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Chalk Dust Flammable (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Hi,

My friend's science teacher recently did an experiment in class where she hit two erasers together, and the chalk dust created as a result of the banging of the erasers was set into a huge ball of fire.

I haven't thought about ideas too much, but
can anyone think of some good things to do with this?

Thanks,

TJ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. Avoid it. Almost any powder is flammable when dispersed into the atmosphere. Flour will do the same thing. This is why you must have lightning rods on silos. It keeps them from exploding during thunderstorms.

Please don't misunderstand me, but think about this. If you do this in a public place, you will probably be arrested, and rightly so. The fact that you are asking this question indicates to me that you are not a licensed pyrotechnician. If you were, you would know what I am about to tell you.

Open flames and explosions are illegal in most states in most public places. There is a reason for this. They set things on fire. And then places burn up and the people inside them die. This happened in Rhode Island when Great White messed up.

So please, do not try this at home.

Or anywhere else, either.

Until you have had some professional training.

It is very, very dangerous.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
What you are describing is a fuel-air explosive. I agree with Bill. I worked news in Kansas and I can't tell you how many grain silos we did stories on that 'blew up'. This is not something to mess with.

The are several improvised munitions using that principle. They are highly dangerous and lethal. The military likes them so I don't suppose any performance venue would appreciate the catostrophic effects that you are risking. Stick with flash products, they are (relatively) more safe.

Deerbourne
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Hi,

Thanks for the great advice.

I wasn't planning on using it for a restaurant table hopping atmosphere, but rather just something that I would try out with friends and whatnot.

I definately wouldn't do it inside any building.

TJ
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I have used lycopodium in this manner, but always made sure the fire laws at the site allowed it, and that I had a small fire extinguisher and a blanket within reach (as an old fire eater, I know what can happen during a fire act).

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Chalk Dust Flammable (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL