The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help! Fantasio's multiplying candles (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
Can anyone tell me what kind multiplying candles is Fantasio using in this Video? And where could I possibly purchase them? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn5iD-4CBz4
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22453 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fantasio used the Famous Lloyd candles. They are long gone but you can see if Pete Biro still have his sets he said he will sell. They sold for $75.00 back in the 1960's. So they will be considerably expensive now. Owen's Magic still makes them, as they now have the rights. The last I seen they were selling them for $400.00.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1463 Posts

Profile of JNeal
James Dimmare was selling a set on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Magic-LO......2c9cc0e2
visit me @ JNealShow.com
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
Thanks
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
What would be a good but less expensive choice? thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22453 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, JamesinLA wrote:
What would be a good but less expensive choice? thanks.

Jim

Star Candles are superior to the Lloyd Candles in my humble opinion. He even makes a wonderful holder for them. You would need 2 if you are going to steal both sets. They are $40 each. At $149.50 these are a steal and made by a master craftsman. Tim use to work for the original Rings and Things Company and made these for them when he was in the U.S. years ago. They are his design he used in his stage competition act.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have not seen Star's, but I don't see how they could be any better than the George Hammerton set from England, sold by Ken Brooke. I have two sets, one for right hand one for left hand, near mint cond. . Also a set of Loyd's (show a lot of wear, but could be restored with spray). Since artritis took over can no longer do manipulations. PM me for prices.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22453 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tim Star makes to models, he makes the standard 8 candle nested and the Star Candles. The Star Candles are a multiplication of 4 candles. His Star Candles are very unique method of producing the 3 candle, as it really is a built in steal and nothing like the Lloyd method of an upward motion. Although, the 4th candle does need to be stolen, whereas Lloyd are all in one unit of two candles.

Quality is superior, and yes, I would say his work is as good as or better then George Hammerton when it come to his metal work and soldering ability. His pricing is very fair and for today's markets.

Dick Gustafson, of Candle act fame, told me, the Lloyd candles has a tendency to fall apart if they are left burning to long, and he had a person available to repair his candles. He had something like 4 pair he used in rotation while a set was being put back together.
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
I been Trying to reach TIM STAR vie email but had no luck, is he still doing star candles
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22453 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tim Star was attached by a pit-bull a while back, the report on the Café said the animal bit his face. No other information was given, but it sounded serious. He should be recovering from the attack. He is married, and I would expect someone would respond. When I ordered my candles, he is slow at responding, usually 3 or 4 days. As the it says on their website they only send orders out on Friday. That is all I know.
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Hello,
Pete, or anyone, can you describe the difference between Morgan and Lloyd candles?
John Tudor
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22453 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The difference is in the manipulation and the design of the candles.

Lloyd's cost $75.00 for a production of 4, using both hands to multiply the 4 candles.

Morgan's cost $30.00 for 4 candles that can be produced with one hand only. There was a left and right hand model so a total of 8 candles could be produced if you purchased both sets.

Prices are from the 1970's. Today that original price has to be multiplied by 10 to obtain the equivalent price. It is very had to make the small parts and solder the parts together. Special Jigs have to be made and different melting points of solder have to be used to attempt assembling the metals.

Since the creation of the Fantasio Candle, several magicians have found a way to create a multiply tall stick candle effect with the Fantasio Candles.

Shimada created a combined Morgan candles and the Fantasio candle routine as recreated by Lance Burton in his famous dove act.
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Thanks, Bill!
By any chance, can you tell me what kind of Multiplying Candles are in this video? It's the aforementioned Coe Norton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5USJM_Y0z4

Thank you very much,
John
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1463 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I'm sure Bill would agree...

Coe Norton was using the Earl Morgan 'Nesto' Candles...

If you look closely you can even see the flesh colored finger guides at certain times.
Coe Norton (for those not familiar with him) was an actor and a magician and famously appeared in the Benson and Hedges 101 cigarette campaign on TV.
It showed him manipulating cigarettes successfully ...until B and H made them 'a silly millimeter longer' as the jingle went.
It was a great commercial...and he was great in it!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22453 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Please - Please - Please - Do not present the Multiplying Morgan Candles as shown in the Coe Norton video.

Coe Norton Multiplying Candle production.
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Thanks, John, I thought so. The Candles are the only thing in Coe's repertorie that I can't find and notes on.

Bill, could you clarify why you say that?

Thanks for your help, guys.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help! Fantasio's multiplying candles (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL