The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Forget the FALSE Shuffle - How Can I REGULAR Shuffle? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
I'm going through Tarbell and have gotten into the card magic area. This is the first instance where I can't tell what's happening by his illustrations. I think this is partly because I've always SUCKED at handling cards. the truth is I've never really cared all that much, so it's always been a joke how badly I shuffle cards. So my question is this. Is there such a thing as BASIC CARD HANDLING for people who need to learn how to crawl before they can even walk to learn to run?

I just got to the place where it says to do a false shuffle and my mind freezes up because I can't even do a NON-FALSE shuffle:-P. Can anyone offer some suggestions on some pre-magic shuffling "for dummies" resources?

Thanks!

Ken
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Hi Ken!
There are a few resources out there for you. If you are set on books, you might want to look at Card College by Roberto Giobbi. There are 5 volumes. Volume 1 & 2 were initially written together to be one book, but you could start with just Volume 1 to get things rolling. It starts out as if you have zero experience, showing you how to hold a deck of cards, handle them, and builds upon the experience you gain. If you are more visually stimulated, there are DVDs such as Born to Perform by Oz Perlman. You'll learn basic handling, as well as routines to add to your repertoir. There are plenty of other examples, but these two should be more than enough to get you started. I hope this helps!

Cheers!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic has a great card intro describing card handling and you can pick it up really cheap.

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Since it's not exposure to learn how to shuffle, there may be some benefit in YTube here - especially those channels that are to do with poker playing skills rather than magic per se. You should be able to grip, deal, table riffle and strip cut, in the hands riffle and bridge, overhand shuffle and spread the cards smoothly from hand to hand in order to look polished. Additional simple flourishes might include: table ribbon spread and turnover, one handed Charlier cut, and kick cuts.

This sort of thing (there's a series):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyu6VWTfoU
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2014, KenRyan wrote:
Can anyone offer some suggestions on some pre-magic shuffling "for dummies" resources?

You could always get a copy of "Magic For Dummies"!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
I would absolutely recomend Roberto Giobbi's Card C0llege series, if anything else comes to my mind I'll write.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks guys! I already have the Giobbi Card College series on my list, but don't want to inundate myself with more books just yet. I noticed a thread yesterday where someone said they were drowning in so many references and books that they didn't know where to start:-P. That's why I'm starting with Tarbell. But I can't really do the card moves even in Tarbell yet.

Terrible Wizard - thanks for that reply. I don't even know what ANY of those terms mean (I've made a note of them, though). I'll check out the YouTube channel link you posted though. But it's good just to know the names of things I need to learn. What's the saying about knowing the name of a thing gives you some power over it?:).

Stanyon - does Magic For Dummies have the basic non-magic card moves in it?

Theodore - Really? That's great! I got a copy of that book from a friend who got it at Half-Price books, AND he used his employee discount:). So I got it for $5:).

Onion - Yes, that DOES help. Sounds like Vol 1 of Giobbi has what I'm looking for.

Awesome answers! Thanks again for being so helpful!!!

Cheers,

Ken
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ken>>> Re: things like card "moves". May I suggest that when you come to something of that nature in Tarbell, bookmark it! Then "bypass" and come back to it. It's not critical that you master every sleight of hand move before you proceed!

Keep notes on what you've bypassed and then return.

Walter Gibson ghosted the Mark Wilcon Course. He was well qualifeied! If I remember, Gibson wrote more magic and magic related books than ANYONE ELSE! I only met him once, at Jay Marshall's, but I was thoroughtly impreseed. (He also wrote "THE SHADOW", a radio show, in the '40s, ("nom de plume" MAXWELL GRANT -- Maxwell from Max Holden's first name, and Grant, from U.F. "Gen" Grant --both magic dealers. Orson Welles was the first "Lamont Cranston" (leading role as the "SHADOW".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

Walter Gibson ghosted the Mark Wilcon Course. He was well qualifeied! If I remember, Gibson wrote more magic and magic related books than ANYONE ELSE! I only met him once, at Jay Marshall's, but I was thoroughtly impreseed. (He also wrote "THE SHADOW", a radio show, in the '40s, ("nom de plume" MAXWELL GRANT -- Maxwell from Max Holden's first name, and Grant, from U.F. "Gen" Grant --both magic dealers. Orson Welles was the first "Lamont Cranston" (leading role as the "SHADOW".

Lord, I love it when I come across little nuggets of information like this. I never knew that about The Shadow. Thank you Sir!
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Dick. I have an Evernote note in a Magic folder specifically for Tarbell. I've been keeping track of what page I'm on as I work my way sequentially through the course. So it will be easy to annotate what I need to come back to in Evernote.

I started the Wilson book's card section this morning. You guys were right! It starts with the absolute basics like: "what is a card?" That's what I need! Well, not specifically, "what is a card?":-P. But THAT level of instruction at this point. I'm psyched!

Cheers!

Ken
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Oh, I forgot to ask. Dick - what did you mean by "ghosted the Wilson Course?"

Ken
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Quote:
Oh, I forgot to ask. Dick - what did you mean by "ghosted the Wilson Course?"

Ken

Ken - I believe he meant that Gibson was the ghost writer.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Aaron Fisher gets into almost painful detail on how to overhand shuffle cards, amongst other things, in this download. It is very good, he talks about exact finger placement, everything. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3220
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Remillard!

Vous avez raison! Gibson started writing, EONS AGO!

Check your copy of Wilson's Course. Page 13 is a "one page" biography of Gibson! I just read it again! He's listed as "co-author", but (just between thee and me) I think was "a bit more than 'co' author!

He autographed a copy of "THE SHADOW ANNUAL" to me. that day at Jay's.

Dick
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ken! As you're discovering, there are many sharers of information here. As long as it is apparent that you are not looking for a "free ride", just ask!

Terr. Wiz and MVoss have jumped in to help!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ken! As you're discovering, there are many sharers of information here. As long as it is apparent that you are not looking for a "free ride", just ask!

Terr. Wiz and MVoss have jumped in to help!
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
This is the first instance where I can't tell what's happening by his illustrations. I think this is partly because I've always SUCKED at handling cards. the truth is I've never really cared all that much, so it's always been a joke how badly I shuffle cards. So my question is this. Is there such a thing as BASIC CARD HANDLING for people who need to learn how to crawl before they can even walk to learn to run?

Thanks!

Ken

You state that you never really cared all that much. I am not sure if that means you never cared about not being able to handle cards well, or that you never cared about card magic. If its that you don't care that much about card magic, then my recommendation would be to simply skip it. There are so many areas of magic that you cannot learn it all. Find what you love doing and focus on that. Put the time and effort into what you enjoy, you will benefit from that and so will your audience. You can always learn a handful of relatively simple or even self working card tricks. Have 3 or 4 on hand in case you feel the need or get a request. Then find the area you enjoy most and put your effort there. There are some powerful card routines that are fairly easy. Check out Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. Each dvd has one or two tricks that require little skill. I have also heard that the first volume of "Ultimate Self working Card Tricks" by Big Blind Media, has some great routines. The great thing about books like Tarbell and Wilson, is that it exposes you to many types of magic so you can find what you enjoy and what doesn't inspire you. You will also find some good simple card routines in those books. Just don't feel the need to become an expert at everything. That will get frustrating.

I really enjoy card magic, it is what first inspired me to get into magic. But some people just don't care for it.
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Wow! I pop away (I wish:)) for a couple hours and all this additional help is here!? How many times can I say how awesome you all are? Since my last visit I have learnt the proper way to do a overhand shuffle (from Wilson and one video that taught it exactly like Wilson, but that I could see for myself) and have practice it about 100 times. And I am finally starting to get the riffle shuffle. I'll probably start a new thread on the issues and questions I'm having with that:-P.

But yes. I had a spark of interest, but you guys are keeping me motivated by fanning the flame:). Thanks again.

BTW - I'm only dipping into card magic (heck, not even "magic" yet - just learning not to spray the cards all over the room) as part of my intro to all the aspects of magic, as folks advised. And I'm going through Tarbell, and that's where I am. I don't know what I'll eventually specialize in. I just don't think I have enough experience trying it all out yet.

Cheers!

Ken
Newsround
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of Newsround
Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book" has some good instructions for the basics of card handling. Plus the rest of the book gives a good insight in to other aspects, so gives a good break from cards if/when you feel getting in a bit of a rut.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Forget the FALSE Shuffle - How Can I REGULAR Shuffle? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL