The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing cane, Third Millennium Silks and other bits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of Anatole
This is a link to the
IBM Ring 103 Norfolk
community faceboook page
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=634......&theater
with a video of an act where I lip-synch to Joel Grey singing “Willkommen” from the Broadway musical “Cabaret.” The act was something I developed when I was a high school German teacher for a show I did for a foreign language clubs banquet at my school. The act and song were appropriate for a foreign language club show because the song uses lyrics in English, French and German.

The effects I perform in the act are:
—The Enchanted Walkingstick (from my lecture notes and also published in the June 2012 _Linking Ring_
—Newspaper Star Cut from Gene Anderson’s _Newspaper Magic_ book
—Third Millennium Silks (which I published in _GENII_, August 1989)
—T.H.I.S. Production with flower bouquet finish (based on the version in a set of Magic Hands lecture notes I have)
—reprise of what looks like The Enchanted Walkingstick but based on my adaptation of a Marconick idea from _Marconick’s Original Magic_

The teddy bear magician music box that I used to introduce the act is something that I picked up many years ago but which is, I think, unfortunately no longer available. The music box did not originally have “That’s Entertainment” as the tune it played. I audio-dubbed the music box version of the Arthur Schwartz/Howard Dietz song that I found on a CD.

—— Amado “Sonny” Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Great idea. love the 20th century silks and the big girls sign. is that a jacobs ladder?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Yes, the trick with the "Touch of Silks" girls is a variation of the "Mental Flip Flop" trick from my lecture and which was also published in the May or June 2012 issue of _Linking Ring_. It is basically a way of showing four sides to a Jacob's Ladder. The routine published in LR uses ESP symbols, but it can be customized to a wide variety of themes. It would be great for trade shows to promote a company's products and has also been used as an emcee bit to introduce acts.

Here's a variation on the Mental Flip Flop/Jacob's Ladder trick using comic book covers (and is more appropriate for kids' shows):
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=570......&theater
Another kid show application I came up with was to use Mother Goose rhyme characters.

(The video is silent because when I first posted it on the Internet back in the 1990s the connection was a slow modem. By removing the audio the video loaded faster. Also, in those days full-screen video was not possible--we only had QuickTime then, not mpeg video-- so I formatted the size for a smaller area.)

"Mental Flip Flop" has an interesting evolutionary history going back to around 1963 when I published it in _The Blackstone Ring Magazine_, a newsletter I edited and illustrated when I was a teenager.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thanks sonny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing cane, Third Millennium Silks and other bits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL