The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 1300 Year old Spellbook (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
Hello,
this might be of interest to this community:
http://io9.com/a-1-300-year-old-egyptian......61596138

It rather looks like "Ash" if you ask me.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Sweet find. I was wondering what language it was in and thought "it kind of looks like Greek". Then I read the article and learned it was Coptic, so it does indeed look kind of like Greek. Vindication Smile
Tzaddi93
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Tzaddi93
Very cool find Malakim.

Brynmore - yep, can be hard at first glace to tell Coptic and Greek apart (unless you've studied Greek / Coptic).
I've always been fascinated by ancient languages. There's a decent set of books: 'The Key of It All: An Encyclopedic Series to the Sacred Languages & Magickal Systems of the World' - not 'deep' but good for surface comparatives/study.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3338 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
And when the interpreters got to the last line it read, "To translate these spells in other than the original language brings poverty and death to all who read it."
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Tzaddi93
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Tzaddi93
And here, I thought it said: "To Serve Man; A Cookbook for People"...
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
"Get off of your knees and prey" it says right on the first page.
Prof_Fether
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Prof_Fether
The comments at the end of the article cracked me up.
Astaroth
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Astaroth
Looks like a little kid wrote it maybe it was a school book. Smile
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
Nice, but an awfully young book (mock ridicule ensues). The pictographs are reminiscent of ancient Hebrew mystical writings appearing after the end of the 2nd Temple era - some 1800 or 1900 years ago. It was not uncommon for early mystics to scribble repetitive patterns or copy one or more Hebrew letters over and over as a meditative exercise in order to reach a high state of being. The practise is commonly its referred to as 'chariot exercises', since it is the chariot that symbolises the ascent to a higher conciousness.

As an aside, another 'chariot exercise' traced back (it is suggested as far back as 5000 years) through Hebrew oral traditions was to concentrate on one fixed spot – often the spaces between written words – and meditate. Does this technique sound familiar to anyone? (sarcasm complete.) Expect to hear more about this as the year (5775, that is!) progresses. Don't let go of your golden threads!

Thank you, Malakim - all of however many there are of you - for sharing.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Tzaddi93
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Tzaddi93
Oy vey Smile
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Basically its ancient greek or something similar but it is a bit nonsense, some of the words in translation are : AMEN-ANGEL-ANGEL-SPIRIT-ANGEL-PROTECTOR-SACRIFICE and I believe two Archangels names.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 1300 Year old Spellbook (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL