The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Buddha papers pitch? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
This from Ever So Sleightly where the idea of pitching the papers came up and here is a question along with my response and question:
Quote:
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2014, MagiCol wrote:
When it comes to selling the Buddha Papers to kids, what is, or has been, your selling approach?

A. it's done as a con, as something the kid/adult buys and then can't figure out how to work it

B. It is sold with instructions how to work it.

I'm no pitchman and I have never sold buddha papers, but I would imagine that you would have a routine worked up with the papers that will draw in the buyer without giving away the secret and the papers come with a small printed card with a basic handling and perhaps a short routine, kind of like the Royal papers do.

I would be more interested in knowing the pitchman's routine with the papers.

So how does one pitch the buddha papers?
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I don't think you need a pitch for Buddha Papers.Just demo it and go for the sale.I sent you an P.M.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
At one time, I added the Buddha Papers to my pitch joint. I sold a few but they really didn't move.

In my experience, there are much better pitch items. That's because the Buddha Papers require lots of folding and unfolding, which of course has to be done right on the table. So you don't get the good visibility you normally get with the Svengali Deck and the Magic Worms, and it's not that great for pulling or building a tip (unless you have Don Driver's charm and personality!). Also, in my humble opinion, it's not much of an attention-getting trick in the first place. After a lot of folding and unfolding, you can make a half dollar disappear or change into a Chinese coin -- not really a big deal, folks! Also remember that unless you are very creative, the Buddha Papers will probably require a reset to pitch, which is a time-waster that you don't need when pitching.

I should have taken Don's advice to stick with just the Magic Worm and Svengali pitches; instead, I learned the hard (read: expensive) way! But if you really want to pitch the Buddha Papers, get 'em from Robbins rather than Royal -- they are less than half the price, still good quality (will last at least until the kid reaches the parking lot) and are basically the same thing, minus a fancy cardboard sleeve. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2014, sethb wrote:
At one time, I added the Buddha Papers to my pitch joint. I sold a few but they really didn't move.

In my experience, there are much better pitch items. That's because the Buddha Papers require lots of folding and unfolding, which of course has to be done right on the table. So you don't get the good visibility you normally get with the Svengali Deck and the Magic Worms, and it's not that great for pulling or building a tip (unless you have Don Driver's charm and personality!). Also, in my humble opinion, it's not much of an attention-getting trick in the first place. After a lot of folding and unfolding, you can make a half dollar disappear or change into a Chinese coin -- not really a big deal, folks! Also remember that unless you are very creative, the Buddha Papers will probably require a reset to pitch, which is a time-waster that you don't need when pitching.

I should have taken Don's advice to stick with just the Magic Worm and Svengali pitches; instead, I learned the hard (read: expensive) way! But if you really want to pitch the Buddha Papers, get 'em from Robbins rather than Royal -- they are less than half the price, still good quality (will last at least until the kid reaches the parking lot) and are basically the same thing, minus a fancy cardboard sleeve. SETH
DITTO...except for the (unless you have Don Driver's charm and personality!)
Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Aw, come on Don, don't be so bashful!

We all know that if anyone can sell iceboxes to Eskimos, it's you! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Buddha papers pitch? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL