The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Stage Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
Hi,

I'm hoping that this is the best place to post this. I'm not "new" to magic, I've been doing it for many years (10+) but only in a close up setting. I am quite proficient with cards, but haven't branched out much from there.

At work, we are having a talent competition on December 12th (less than 3 weeks away) and many people are hoping a great performance from me as I am known to do card magic. Unfortunately, I have 0 experience with stage magic and I am hoping to use this as an opportunity to motivate myself to learn (I've said no to paid gigs because of this in the past).

I am hoping for some advice on what to perform. I have good stage presence (I used to do theatre acting) but I am worried that most of the tricks I have proficiency in will not play well for the big crowd. I just ordered a set of linking rings and am hoping to perform an adaptation of Whit Haydn's four ring routine. I know the "secret" behind the linking rings, but have never used them. Is it feasible to assume I will be able to learn to perform this routine in about a week and a half (giving time for shipping)?

I am also hoping to perform a sucker silk to egg and Smart Ass by Bill Abbott which I am not worried about. Assuming the linking rings routine is not at a state I can perform at, what are some other routines/tricks I could look into? I am interested in comedic stage effects where the magician is "teaching" how a trick is done.

Thanks for any help and wish me luck!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2911 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Konradz,
I'll just say this blluntly...You are not ready to perform a stage show by Dec. 12th. It surprises me since you say you have been involved in close-up for 10 plus years that you would know the amount of practice/rehersal involved to ask your question.
The rings for example are not just a matter of knowing how they work but the routine and artistry to make it entertaining as well as proficient. Do you want to be perceived by the people at your work as a talented magician? Or someone who does tricks.
The answer will determine if and what you'll do.
I do wish you good luck though.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
Hey David,

I like your blunt answer.

But I don't exactly agree. I'll definitely be ready to do a stage show by then. The two other effects I listed are close up effects that can play big which I have experience with and I'm sure I can list many more similar effects (and that is exactly suggestions I'm looking for).

As for the linking rings, to be honest I have no clue how much skill/dexterity is necessary for it and I was hoping for an estimate. I don't think that's such a bad thing? As for the "routine and artistry" part, you have a point that I don't have experience with this kind of setting for magic. But my experience in close up has taught me how to structure a routine and engage an audience.

In general though, I know that the first few times a show a trick to someone I am still working out the kinks in my routine. It takes a few iterations before it fully works. How would you do that with stage effects? Wouldn't an informal setting like a workplace talent show be a good place to work out a routine where nothing really is at stake? Obviously I wouldn't perform if I am not technically ready to not expose, so that's why I'm asking for an estimate on difficulty so I can plan.
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
Ehhhhh I have to agree that it is a very short time to get ready for a stage show. Or any show. Magic or otherwise. Is it possible? Sure? Is it possible for it to look the best it can in that short? Not at all. There's a few effects you could probably get away with doing in that short amount of time, but I wouldn't recommend it. Oh, and definitely stay away from the linking rings in that short amount of time. Linking rings can be a beautiful, gorgeous effect when done well, but it takes enormous amounts of practice for it to be so. Instead, I would urge you to think about a different approach. What exactly is the venue you're performing like? Would it be possible to do a close up show (since you are familiar with it) in a played up style perhaps? Instead of learning new effects, try to take the ones you know and have mastered and work on applying them for a larger audience. It can be done. And done well. Just something to think about! Hope it helps!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You asked for advice! Davidpaull took time to offer you advice, and you disagree. You haven't replied to DrewPett, yet, Drew is apparently a beginner, and, he is wiser than you. --and you have ten years of experience???

It is apparent that you don't really want advice. What you really want is for someone to pat you on the back, and encourage you!

Well, I wont! --And, I wont wish you luck either, because it takes more than luck to perform as a magician.

Linking rings! Three weeks! "Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2911 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks Dick Osland... Dick has forgotten more about magic and performance than many of us will ever know.
Also download this http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4652 it's free and will give you more insight.

Konradz we know you came on here asking for help and Dick is right it seems you really don't want it which is common with many here with little real world experience and insight. Many of us take the art of magic very seriously and highly respect it and hope to instill the same in others seeking advice. But I'm sure you will do what you want as was evident by your reply as well as the content of your original post. If I seem disrespectful, I don't mean to be, but you did ask for help and you apparently didn't like the answer. Sorry !

Danny Doyle where are you?????
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
My best advice, Don't do it!! Trying to learn the rings in a small amount of time, are you nuts?
konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
This thread is very unhelpful so far, I wish I didn't mention the linking rings because it's distracting everyone for why I posted here in the first place.

I am doing a stage show and I ordered linking rings... turns out after some research I doubt (as everyone here emphasizes) I will be able to master it in time. Ok great, hence why I'm here asking for *other* suggestions or routines.

As I've said, I have lots of experience with close up. I fail to see why in 3 weeks I can't do a routine I have already mastered in a close up/parlour setting, except in a stage setting. As I mentioned, I am looking for routines like silk to egg or Smart Ass that I as a close up performer have performed dozens of times but still play big on stage. Other examples: stand up versions of invisible deck, ACAAN, mccombical deck, sponge balls, TT magic, etc. These are props/routines which I won't be learning technically, but adapting the performance to a stage setting.

And that's it. I came here to get inspiration of other close up effects which I have experience with which I can adapt to a stage setting. Maybe I'm wrong (and we will find out), but I'm sure with some thought and practise a magician should be able to perform a routine he/she ALREADY KNOWS but in a different setting within a few weeks. "What you really want is for someone to pat you on the back, and encourage you!".... that's exactly what I want! As magicians I'm surprised how quickly everyones response is "you can't do it". Of course I can do a stage show, just need to figure out what material I can adapt from my close up repertoire. I was hoping the magic Café would be a good resource to find people to pat me on the back and give me inspirations to make this a good show instead of giving up.

@DrewPett, that's a good idea with a projector. I'll see what I can do, might be able to perform a four ace assembly or a matrix I do.
konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
Anyways, I'm hoping this discussion continues because I do find it interesting.

For now (as an fyi) the following is my plan for about a 15min routine (I of course still need to rehearse a few times and make sure my staging and trick progression flows nicely):
- sucker silk to egg
- Hitchcock by Josh Jay
- Timeless (I can link it well with hitchcock talking about subliminal messaging of the card values which made you choose the specific time)
- Smart Ass (the timeless break from cards will let me switch decks very easily)

The plot of the show is going to be that I am "teaching" magic to the audience, hence why sucker silk to egg is a great opener. Once that is done, I'll use hitchcock to talk more about magic theory (josh jay uses a presentation where he talks about how hitchcock creates movies, so similar to that but in the pretence of magic). Timeless further emphasizes me teaching the audience, where I can give a quasi explanation of subliminal messaging and things a magician does/says can effect the outcome. Then finally with smart ass, I put a spectator on the spot and to put everything he/she learned to use and find the card they're sitting on.

Overall I have lots more ideas of things I can do and I am still hoping that this discussion gets more ideas flowing. I might put in a balls over the head routine as well to give more of a break from cards and mccombical deck might be great too. Both of those I can spin the angle of "teaching" the audience (balls over the head I'm actually revealing for the entire audience besides the participant, and the mccombical deck has a built in quasi-explanation).
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Play to your strengths. A lot of card tricks can be scaled up. Have you considered your existing routines using jumbo cards? Tossed out deck might be good. There is a great 5 card repeat routine that Bill Abbot sells. This plays great for larger audiences. Good luck!
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
456 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I agree with MGordonB. Do what you do best, cards. Many card effects play well on stage, homing card, invisible deck, 5 card repeat, jumbo card tricks, etc. etc. I have seen some great mentalism tricks with cards. Spend the time routining your card effects for the stage. Frankly I don't think rings are that great anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Stage Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL