The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Credibility (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I was astonished to read that a fellow member of the Café had lost "credibility".

Interesting.

(I myself am incredible. Don't you think?)

Here in my office in Goettingen, it seems to me that Americans have lost something very special. They don't respect differences of opinion anymore.

This saddens me.

Democracy cannot exist unless people respect the opinion of others. It doesn't really matter whether they agree. They just need a sense of respect...and "credibility".

Y'all may think that I'm intellectually retarded and full of bull hockey. That's OK with me. But "credibility" means something else. It means that y'all may think that my opinion is a legitimate ("credible") opinion. Respecting me as a citizen of the USA should mean that even if I am typing this from my office here in Goettingen, that my opinion is that of a fellow American.

The Café is starting to embarrass me, because y'all seem to have lost the notion of friendliness and respect for others who have different opinions. A different opinion doesn't make someone un-American. A different opinion makes someone especially American. America is a place where people can have different opinions.

Or it used to be. Back it the day.

"Credibility" shouldn't mean that someone agrees with you. "Credibility" should mean that someone is a human being with a different point of view that can be respected because they are a fellow human being.

If we all lived in North Korea, then we would perhaps have a different view of "credibility".

As it is, perhaps some of us could do some work toward respecting others who don't think like we do.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I find this topic to be an interesting one.

I think I may disagree with stone. I am of the opinion that not all opinions are respectable or credible. For example, some opinions are simply denials of facts; some opinions ignore some facts; and scientific conclusions are not necessarily "opinions." I am not sure any of these opinions are respectable; I think none of them are credible.

I think that some responsibility for what you are observing is the conversion of fact and opinion into theater by the media outlets. I look at the political pundits from both the left and the right, and I am amazed that their views always reflect their "party line." My opinion is that real human beings hardly ever are completely aligned with either leftist or rightist doctrine. But media coverage supports a view that liberals are always liberal and conservatives are always conservative regardless of the issue before them.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
The Café is starting to embarrass me, because y'all seem to have lost the notion of friendliness and respect for others who have different opinions. A different opinion doesn't make someone un-American. A different opinion makes someone especially American. America is a place where people can have different opinions.

I agree, it would be nice if it were true.
-----
Respect is earned, not given like many demand others to do.

When someone or a group of persons try to jam their opinions down "another's throat", and say they are right because statistics say so, isn't seeing the whole picture.

Like Respect, one's Creditability is earned, not given. I can respect one's opinion, but give it no creditability because we both see it from a different pair of eyes and opinions.
Dennis Michael
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
May I mention that credibility and creditability are two different words, with different meanings?

Who knew?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:

Y'all may think that I'm intellectually retarded and full of bull hockey.

You're only half full of bull hockey, but I suspect it's the good half. Happy Thanksgiving, Jeff!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
(I myself am incredible. Don't you think?)

Although I've never considered you incredible, I've always thought of you as unbelievable.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Did you ever consider me to be incredibitable?

(Did I even spell that correctly?)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Never gave it a thought.
Dennis Michael
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2909 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I sometimes find a post embarrassing too, when the implication is "I don't agree with you, therefore you're a jerk."

One has nothing to do with the other. I've known lots of jerks (that's my opinion, ok?) and sometimes they're made a good point. And I've known lots of people who are not jerks (again, my opinion), and sometimes I've totally disagreed with their opinion on something.

People just seem to take stuff too personally nowadays. Need to go back and watch "The Godfather" again. Tom Hagen had it nailed. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, 0pus wrote:
I find this topic to be an interesting one.

I think I may disagree with stone. I am of the opinion that not all opinions are respectable or credible.

As most of you know, I am arrogant enough to think that a lot of you have stupid opinions.

But you can still be my friends. Friendship and friendliness is not (at least for me) conditioned on the rightness of your ideas. Sure, if you want to spout a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted nonsense I might find yout views unfriendly. But if you voted differently than I did in the last election, or if you have religious beliefs different from mine, then I won't recommend you seek psychiatric help.

I am an anti-relativist. But I try to be nice about it.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Well, Jeff, you have put your finger on what I was talking about: when people "spout a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted nonsense," I find these views neither respectable nor credible. As a young American, I used to believe strongly with Voltaire when he said, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Today, not so much. There are a lot of people saying a lot of stuff, whose right to say it I am not sure I would lift a finger to defend.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
You seem to have a point.

Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Credibility (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL