The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Prepared Decks: So I have a brick of cards.... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
And I've been preparing some decks.. stacking them with duplicates for certain tricks and short carding the right cards of another deck for another trick, gluing cards to other cards, and so on and so forth.

What prepared deck effects should I have in my arsenal? I have about half a brick to work with right now. and a junk deck.
any ideas? or suggestions? I'm not afraid of glue, sharpies, razors, or spending time preparing a deck.
I just need some ideas.

thanks all!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
A lot depends upon what tricks you want to do, what context you'll be performing in, and whether the spectators will be handling the deck.

The workers forum will probably give you a lot more information than I will be able to.

For myself, the most usual deck prep involves:
A ma***d s***t card (all kinds of uses)
Some red backed cards (for a couple of tricks)
A set-up/stack (for two tricks)
Sometimes this is all within a whole MD (multiple uses)
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
In the world of setups, not many practical "Workers" require a full deck setup, nor more than a couple of cards.

My suggestions are... Chicago opener, only requires 1 indifferent card. And a story deck (Sam the bell hop)
Other than that, don't stress yourself on preparing decks. Keep them sealed up til you actually need them.

Some effects require a couple of cards to be at the top of the deck and for things like that, learn how to do a cull. I recommend the "Road Runner Cull."
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
How about wearing out those decks learning a few basic slights? Here's a few you might consider:

A control
A full or partial false shuffle
A false cut
A palm

You will get a lot more mileage out of learning these than worrying about gimmicked cards/decks

Hudson
charlie_d
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
Try (search on the Café for...)
Invisible deck
Corner short
Short card
Card splitting
Belly stripper

But it would probably make more sense to figure out what you want to do, then how to do it, then how to make the gaffs - rather than asking how to make gaffs, or which gaffs to make. It's kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Craig Petty's "Roughed" DVD is free and has some pretty good ideas.
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
Ok so let me explain a bit. I'm good with being a worker. and I always keep an off color duplicate with my decks, and a double backer. this allows me for tons of routines that I can use these to implement cleaner switches and back color changes.

what I'm talking about are those big effects you just can't do with a slight if you wanted to. I would pull these guys out for a nice pacing when I feel like my routines need to move away from fast hands, to something of a more intense magic moment.

the five star prediction.. (needs a bunch of dupes)
spideys out of my mind.. (lots of prep) (i deck switched yesterday and nobody seemed to care or notice)
shin's predicted card at any number .. (lots of dupes and a setup)

any other suggestions that you guys can think of?
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
You can do absolute miracles if you're willing to put the time and effort in to a memorized deck.
Good sleight of hand is invisible.
"I feel like my routines need to move away from fast hands, to something of a more intense magic moment."

When presenting a trick, it MUST appear to be fair and absolutely seamless. It doesn't matter if they have no idea of what's going on. If they THINK they saw a swift movement where a "move" could have taken place, the trick will be spoiled for them. When you present magic, you need to have smooth, natural movements. You shouldn't be stepping away from a regular deck because you want something that's cleaner. ALL of the tricks in your repertoire should be direct, simple plot, and entertaining, not confusing nor containing swift movement.

In MY opinion, you should only do 2 tricks, give or take one in which require a complete deck setup, or an entirely gimmicked deck. Because, they're impractical. As a working magician, you really don't want to carry around more than 2 or 3 decks. Think about practicality.

If you really feel like you have an issue with your other tricks, it's time for you to go back to the drawing board.

Good luck.

A quick recommendation of tricks you may over look:
The Chicago Opener (or Chicago Surprise)
Triumph (In the hands, J.C. Wagner is my favorite)
The Ambitious Card (Only 4 to 5 phases, then I close it with the card appearing in my wallet via the "Real Man's Wallet."

Those tricks are SIMPLE with an easy to understand plot. They ALWAYS go over very well.
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
I know what you're saying zaphas. and chicago opener is always in my sets and I'll cycle between a few triumphs. and the ambitious with a nice finale to impossible location or with a prediction is good for a forced selection.. I do all of those.
i'm not talking about those per se. I'm talking about some of those routines where you're very hands off. and can do some miracles where the spec can only think that something magical or devious happened.. and not some slight of hand trickery.
i'll always work on my chops but I know I couldn't do spideys out of my mind effect with simple slight of hand. it requires a gaffed deck and makes the spec both doubt his/her recollection and his memory. it's really strong. it's a brain twister. and I like it BECAUSE I don't touch his half of the deck, and I am unable to even guess what his card was through a force of some sort.

i would like to get some really clean self working tricks that defy logic to have in my arsenal that I wouldn't use every but maybe every 3rd set. something where I notice a have a few people burning my hands during any slight of hand..
something like a 5 star prediction would be good for the sake of having them ease back a bit and allow for a sense of confusion and wonder to set in.

i'm looking to see if you guys have a few prepared deck effects which you will bring into your set to change the pace.. or instill a bit of brain twisting hands off magic. of course the invisible deck is in there. but that's a given.
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
In the meantime I'll take this over to gaffed and funky
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Memorized deck is the best arsenal for me. Sometimes I use marked cards for certain effects, other times I use short cards. Have you tried breather crimps as well? They help out a lot in terms of making it easy to cut to your stack.
I Love You God Smile
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
Magic Kingdom.
yes I tend to breather one of the aces at all times, and on occasion I'll have a short card.. although those are sometimes too visible when squaring the deck, or get away from me in a riffle. I don't use marked cards too often because . my eyesight isn't too good for them. although I do like using secret 1 way decks because they're easy to see in a riffle or even a taper.
as for memdeck.. I am still working on it and I have a feeling it will be a while before I get a stack down.

anything you use in particular for a single routine or effect which uses an entire setup deck (Aside from memdeck)?
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Frankie5aces, I love the "Weigh The Cards", not sure the official name for it but it is based on the mathematical properties of the Si Stebbins stack. I personally do not have to arrange the deck in the CHASED order or any suit order to determine how many cards I'm holding.

PS There are only 4 Aces, are you the fifth one? Smile
I Love You God Smile
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
That's an interesting use of the Stebbins stack. I haven't done that one.
i created this mentalism routine where I flash the riffle to the spec and talk about body language.
tell them to remember all the cards and where they are in the deck.. then from their body language they can tell me the card they see when they stop my riffle. then I go on and make it more difficult and impossible and convince them that they can figure out what card they are stopping at just by listening/looking at the depth of the riffle when they say stop.. and I read their body language of the card they don't even know yet. it's a pretty cool routine and I have been working on making it more and more believable since about 10 months ago when I conceived it. I don't normally use a stebbins stack though and I'm working on getting the knack of setting one up on the fly using a method of an out of this world triumph... it is super devious and at this point I'm not fast enough for it not to looked forced, and my faro isn't dependable enough yet. but.. I'm working on doing the OOTW into the Stebbins via a faro for this effect.. then straight into out of my mind by spidey. its a lot of work but I'm working on trying to be fluid with the on the fly setups.

frankie5aces was my DJ name back when I was a dj.. and I found it to be appropriate when I started doing magic. I modeled the name after the mafia names in the movies... joey the tooth, jimmy the hammer, vinny red knuckles.. so. I never really thought of who or what was the last ace.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Frankie5aces, Have you checked out Andy Nyman's The Code? The effect plays out to almost the same effect you described. His marked deck is quite remarkable! No pun intended. The effect works out perfectly every time without requiring any deck memorization or forcing skill necessary. Very easy to understand, very little practice required.
The risks of detection are similar to that of traditionally marked cards but the benefits way surpass them. Let's say the spectator knows how to check for marked cards, the home-made marks and his commercial deck would fare equally and that both are easily noticeable. However if the spec does not know the technique, Andy's deck is the superior one since it is practically invisible to laymen but perfectly precise to magicians. If your routine uses marked cards in any way, his deck would be the way to go. Instead of having to remember what marks constitute which cards, the cards automatically do that for you. It also supports a Tamariz (mnemonica) stack.

A faro is definitely useful for getting into stack, you could try buffing the deck for better accuracy.

Setting a stack up via an Out of This World Triumph!!!? That is ace bro!
I Love You God Smile
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Check out Contact Colors by Aldo Colombini. http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/advanc......&x=0&y=0

One of my favorites and only 10 bucks! Aldo practically GAVE great magic away!

I perform this all the time. I did it at a birthday party tonight and the stunned silence, followed by comments like, "I'm speechless," and lots of applause, make this a great trick!

Just my two bits worth...

And keep Zepury's comments about practicality in mind. You don't want more than a couple of decks to have to "deal" with!

Smile
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Prepared Decks: So I have a brick of cards.... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL