The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Psych Wards (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
On Christmas Day I'm doing three shows at our local Psych Hospital. The hospital has 3 floors, one of kids, two for folks who are having problems coping with life. Give the gift of "magic" this holiday season.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
They are excited and I am too because I have no idea how many people will be there for each show. I have close up ready too just in case. Three 20 minute shows. Easy peesie!
jclightman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of jclightman
I hope your show went well. My wife was a counselor for a inpateint mental health hospital for children and teens. I did a couple of shows for them quite a while back. I did have an interesting experience I thought I would share. I didn't really go through any of my routines with my wife or other staff and just went into the show. I did a cut and restore rope routine with a volunteer from the audience. The one I happened to bring up was a guy about 3 times my size. Of course I brought him up before introducing the trick. I had no idea that he had a history of violence, had attacked staffers, and did NOT like to be touched.

Needless to say, my wife and other staffers were on the edge of their seats when I handed him scissors and put a hand on his shoulder as we interacted. To me though, I didn't think it was any different than any other show. Afterwards they "debriefed" me. Here were some lessons learned. 1- It may be a good idea to think through or talk with staffers about props and such you'll be using with a vulnerable audience. 2- It's very interesting how magic does seem to bring out the "kid" in all of us. That fella was smiling and really enjoying the moment. I'm glad everything turned out well, and glad to have learned from the experience.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have been asked to do something for the kids at the local hospital. I have been a patient there this last year so I feel I owe them something and it will be nice to be able to give something back.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Psych Wards (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL