We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Full Busking Show (Feedback is welcome) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Here is a clip of my Full Busking Routine. I have posted before and it has usually been just snippets of my show. Here is the full length busking show. Let me know what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFmxwfQr......wwDVVQRQ

A few things to note. This was a slower night than typical.... I think maybe a Wednesday. While there weren't a ton of people walking by I was able to geta decent sizes crowd to finish the show.

One other thing to notice is the spectator breaks the cube apart right during my hat pitch. LOL. Completly threw me off with where I was with my hat pitch and I kinda just skimmed right over it. I also did a small quick line at the end reminder the audience that they had to tip me. Here is the Hat line in the middle: "Guys if you like my show you can tip me at the end... Don't worry about it" Just goes to show that you don't have to beg the crowd for money. My philosophy is to do the best magic show possible and the money will come. Then again I work in very upscale town so money is never a problem for people. lol
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Too long! Smile Cut it down to about 7 minutes
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Lol. The Show or the Video of the Show?
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Nice job.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Steven

Thank you for making the effort to put that together and for sharing it.

They stopped and they stayed and they paid.

So that bloke really did break the cube - your recovery was good- I was thinking it looked like part of the show.

I use Daryl's rubix cube in many of my performances and keep 2 spare ones ready to swap over if needed.

In that regard your show has a lot of gear going out for inspection etc - this is positive but I guess that sometimes it increases the probability of someone damaging the props.

all the best mate.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Clearly you've been performing magic for some time. you know your routines. you also had a crowd and seemed to keep them until the end. a night crowd at that. more alcohol and adults. so what advice do you need? every performer will give you different ideas on what you do, even myself. what I do is very different from you but again, why give advice when I don't do what you do! that being said, I would just say, if your gonna do the rubix cube, before you even start that routine, why not hand it out to a spectator to solve as you do another routine. so when you do shift focus to that routine your not suddenly introducing a new prop. its already in play which doesn't dip the interest. when a street crowd senses your starting a new routine some take that as a que to leave. but if the item is already in play they wont want to miss anything. get the idea? even the ropes can be passed out before you actually get to them. if your gonna take out a rubix cube, why not dig up some interesting facts about the thing and use it in the show?

breathe more often and more eye contact to everyone.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Steven,
Your bucket seem to get all the money there was to get....so why fix it if it an't broke.Everybody can say what they think but the bottom line is MONEY weather they say so or not.You built a good size tip and big tips equal more money.You also "connected" very well with the tip and that's the most important thing when busking.
I say just keep up the good work...

Don
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2014, Nick W wrote:
Clearly you've been performing magic for some time. you know your routines. you also had a crowd and seemed to keep them until the end. a night crowd at that. more alcohol and adults. so what advice do you need? every performer will give you different ideas on what you do, even myself. what I do is very different from you but again, why give advice when I don't do what you do! that being said, I would just say, if your gonna do the rubix cube, before you even start that routine, why not hand it out to a spectator to solve as you do another routine. so when you do shift focus to that routine your not suddenly introducing a new prop. its already in play which doesn't dip the interest. when a street crowd senses your starting a new routine some take that as a que to leave. but if the item is already in play they wont want to miss anything. get the idea? even the ropes can be passed out before you actually get to them. if your gonna take out a rubix cube, why not dig up some interesting facts about the thing and use it in the show?

breathe more often and more eye contact to everyone.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the advice. I like the idea of hanging a few of the ropes at the beggining. Maybe the medium sized rope to an outlier of the crowd to bring them in a little closer and make them stay.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1109 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Steven, thanks for posting!
A nice film,... I thought it caught your Show quite well.
I liked the length,... I don't like it when Shows are 'pushed'.
I liked the Pitch(!),... nice audience,.. nice quiet spot.
I liked your calmness,.. control of your situation,....

,but,.. as strange as it may sound, this is also what I didn't like.

I'm not sure if it's me,.. and I've been out there too much this year;
,or,.
if it's me,... and I haven't played in the passed 12 days because of the cold,..
"cabin fever",...
hmm,..
,but I found the Show,... soft.

1:08 into the Show,.. picking a card,..
I 'fast-forwarded'...
During the first Rubic Cube bit,..
I 'fast-forwarded'....
During the ropes,...
I 'fast-forwarded'...
I watched the complete "giving"(!),...
gosh, nice people can be sooo nice!
I love watching that.......

Still,.. the Show let me hang.
Again, it might be,..
PROBABLY is me,
but,...
I need a little more kick.

Thanks for sharing,..
putting yourself out-there(!),..
....in-here!!
gallagher
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4358 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
You rock it, I really enjoy this style of magic and the crowd control. You have them and draw them in. Quality work.

I think the routines could use some fine tuning, the props being in play, yeah I agree to it up to a point. It's not of upmost importance.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2618 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
That was cool. Loved it. Don't change a thing.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
334 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I had some of the same responses as Gallagher, but then I was thinking maybe it was the difference of watching something on the screen and actually being there. In my own show part of the fun is sharing something as a group. The balance between tightness in the show and taking time to savor the moment is always in flux. Your show seems like it genuinely reflects who you are which is enough if it continues to connect with your audiences.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Steven,
I think you have great charisma/energy. But now that some others have weighed in on your clip, can you tell us what you think of the performance? Thinks you'd change/things you liked? What's your analysis?
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Ran across another one of your performances - very nicely done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......WI9mQAb0
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
The only advice I can give you that I feel is of any value whatsoever is to continue doing what you're doing.

Your public, and how they respond to you, and your attention to them, and continued experience with them, will be your best teachers from here on out.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Haha.. Sorry Writeall. THe video has blown up over the past few days. Some VERY BIG things in the works. lol
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Great show! well done
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, sjbrundage wrote:
Haha.. Sorry Writeall. THe video has blown up over the past few days. Some VERY BIG things in the works. lol

No worries. I'm just happy you were able to take something I thought was stale and played out (Rubic's Cube) and make it good again. Which you certainly have. Congrats.
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Sweet thank you! Im actually one of the largest annoucements of my life on my Facebook page at 6:00pm tonight. Make sure to check if out if you want to stay updated!

https://www.facebook.com/StevenBrundageMagic
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4358 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I'm happy big things are happening for you so quickly!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Full Busking Show (Feedback is welcome) (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL