The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Eric Garner (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2785 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, misterbill wrote:
My whole problem is that since when in the USA do cops get to summarily execute a man for the crime of selling loose cigarettes? Why not issue him a citation and be done with it? Why go to this level of esculation over the collection of a tax?

People are being summarily executed by the cops for the smallest of infactions and the cops are getting away with it and people are getting sick and tired of it.

So you're saying that cops are purposely going out and looking to execute people? It sounds like a great headliner but in reality is a lie.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5486 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
People are being summarily executed by the cops for the smallest of infactions and the cops are getting away with it and people are getting sick and tired of it.

I think some people are getting sick and tired of statements such as Hillary Clinton made, "We have to have empathy for our enemies". This is ludicrous. Her statement falls in the same lines as "cops have to be more careful and respect the THUGS that are doing wrong and committing crimes. Take a step back- don't rush to judgment."

Please- in today's crazy world- cops need to be aggressive and overly aware at all times!

As far as this NYC case- I will say that once the cop had this guy down- he should have immediately let him go due to the fact that there were 4 or 5 other officers standing around him. If this officer was alone- then I could see him keeping the guy down- but other officers were there.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
THUGS that are doing wrong

Thugs?

Quote:
Did you really think we want those laws observed? said Dr. Ferris. We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against… We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted -- and you create a nation of law-breakers -- and then you cash in on that. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with. ('Atlas Shrugged' 1957)

Elizabeth Daly went to jail over a case of bottled water. read more --> http://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opin......dc0.html
Was she a "THUG?"

Go to google and type in "thomas kelly police brutality." I cried when I read what happened to him. watch the video and look at the pictures of what they did to him!

This one is long but read it if you dare:

Quote:
There used to be pirates. So villages hired some of the pirates to hunt other pirates. These were called, pirate hunters. Eventually, the pirate hunters did their job and eliminated the other pirates. The pirates then realized that they had eliminated their own jobs. They then turned on the towns and said: now WE own all the pirating here, and you owe us the same that you were paying the other pirates. Eventually, armies were raised, towns would hang pirates on site, navies began patrolling instead of pirates. Piracy went away.

Similarly, municipal police were hired from amongst the local GANGs in the early 1800s, in order to curb other gangs in the area, eventually eliminating crime almost entirely (by comparison to what it once was). Now the police turn on us, realizing there is law and order, and they are no longer needed, have figured out how to fleece the people using speeding tickets, and various fines and "permits" just to justify their continued existence. When will you realize that police are legal gangs, paid by you, to intimidate, extort, and control you?

Your county sheriff can do the same job at a fraction of the price. So why do you still have local cops all over the place? Do you really think they will respond in time to PREVENT a crime? Even they will admit, almost never happens. They are fishing for money. Pulling you over for expired tags, or a "broken" windshield, a busted tail light so they can check for warrants, and other ways to fleece you, other crimes they can insinuate against you. You're just "so glad they didn't arrest you" that you fail to question the scenario of should they have even pulled you over at all? Is this really the best use of theirs, or your time?

The basic tenet of our society is: the law applies to everyone, equally. Everyone. Presidents, Supreme Court, to the lowliest citizen. No one is above it. And yet, police are always putting themselves above it. Don't tolerate it. Cut their budgets to nothing. If crime goes up, some of them can have their jobs back. You may be surprised to find, crime doesn't go up at all. There were not criminals there to begin with, and they don't make people any more honest, or law abiding than they already are. And that's the truth. -- Unknown

and finally: When San Francisco Stopped Prosecuting Drug Users, Violent Crime Went Down: Police Chief Greg Suhr Talks Narcotics Enforcement --> http://youtu.be/v_uqQhC3XA4

If you made it this far congratulations... I figure I will be drawn and quartered by the sheep... but perhaps someone woke up Smile
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well, misterbill, I'm not going to draw and quarter you, even though you tempted me by quoting Ayn Rand. Smile Generally speaking, I agree with everything you wrote.

BTW, have you noticed that "thug" is a new code word on the right?
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, RNK wrote:
Quote:

I think some people are getting sick and tired of statements such as Hillary Clinton made, "We have to have empathy for our enemies". This is ludicrous. Her statement falls in the same lines as "cops have to be more careful and respect the THUGS that are doing wrong and committing crimes. Take a step back- don't rush to judgment."

That's not exactly what she said. Here is the quote:

“This is what we call smart power, using every possible tool and partner to advance peace and security, leaving no one on the sidelines. Showing respect even for ones enemies.”

“Trying to understand and in so far as psychologically possible, empathize with their perspective and point of view.”

In context, she was relating the story of how a peace deal in the 40 year conflict (which claimed 120,000 lives) in Mindanao, Philippines was brokered. Inclusivity was a big part of that peace agreement.

Quote:

Please- in today's crazy world- cops need to be aggressive and overly aware at all times!

Like in the Tamir Rice incident?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Well, misterbill, I'm not going to draw and quarter you, even though you tempted me by quoting Ayn Rand. Smile

People tend to hate on Rand but that quote pretty much sums up the world in which we live today, to me.

Quote:
Generally speaking, I agree with everything you wrote.

BTW, have you noticed that "thug" is a new code word on the right?

Thanks. I'm a Libertarian and usually we are universally hated by the left and the right. Smile "Thug" is the new code word for all apologists and people with blinders on. The wars being fought today (war on drugs, war on terrorism, et. al.) are to keep everyone terrified so that police and governement can usurp the rights and liberty of the people in order to better control them.

There is no need to be so frightened of a poor man selling loose cigarettes in the streets, that you condone the police using so much force to arrest him that he winds up dead. There is no need to be so scared of a poor unarmed homeless man "illegally camping," that you condone him being killed; shot in the back no less. He had his back to them and he was still such a threat that they shot him dead?! Reminds me of the old movies about the german secret police... "he vas shot vile tryink to escape!"

This is conditioning so if we end up in another Great Depression with homeless, jobless people and families forced to create makeshift housing for themselves (Hoovervilles), The government and police can feel justified in rounding them up and shipping them off to relocation (concentration) camps or worse just killing them. And everyone not affected can breathe a sigh of relief that those poor people were helped or those terrible thugs were removed from society. It makes me sick!
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
So, I guess next we will be forced into using the t-word?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
This is conditioning so if we end up in another Great Depression with homeless, jobless people and families forced to create makeshift housing for themselves (Hoovervilles), The government and police can feel justified in rounding them up and shipping them off to relocation (concentration) camps or worse just killing them. And everyone not affected can breathe a sigh of relief that those poor people were helped or those terrible thugs were removed from society.

Conditioning? Our Government systematically killing it's own homeless and jobless citizens? Now we're getting into conspiracy territory.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
This is conditioning so if we end up in another Great Depression with homeless, jobless people and families forced to create makeshift housing for themselves (Hoovervilles), The government and police can feel justified in rounding them up and shipping them off to relocation (concentration) camps or worse just killing them. And everyone not affected can breathe a sigh of relief that those poor people were helped or those terrible thugs were removed from society.

Conditioning? Our Government systematically killing it's own homeless and jobless citizens? Now we're getting into conspiracy territory.

Ron

Yes it is... but not all conspiracy theories are untrue and not everyone who believes there is truth to a conspiracy theory is a lunatic. This is just a way of marginalizing and shutting up people who try to point out the truth... The government, our government has done some really terrible things and people who pointed this out were called crazy or criminalized. Sometimes a conspiracy theory is dead on!

Look up these: Operation MK-ULTRA, The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, Operation Northwoods, Operation Mockingbird, COINTELPRO, The Iran-Contra Affair, The AFT gun walking scandal AKA Operation Fast and Furious, and most recently the NSA spying scandal... There are plenty more that turned out true, these are just a few. So is it so far fetched to wonder if what we are witnessing could be what I think it might be? Maybe I am crazy, but what if I'm not? The implications are frightening.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, landmark wrote:
Here's about everything I would want to say about this case and Ferguson. I really don't need to post about it anymore:
http://www.awesomelyluvvie.com/2014/12/s......ple.html

Wow. Landmark, that DOES just about say it all. Shaking my head ruefully. Anger truly IS justified! And I don't blame any one group. All of humanity is guilty! I am ashamed. I thought my now, this would be ancient history. But no. I hope we don't see civil war over this.

Doug
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Excellent article, Landmark. It pretty well sums up the way things are.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3543 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
This is an important read from a cop:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ProtectAndServe/......you_can/
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Mistakes were made, but at least the owner corrected them quickly:

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/12/09/b......special/

I like the last line of the article above (look below the fold, below the picture).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
A bit off topic to this thread's main topic, but Toronto Police Services Board chairman Alok Mukherjee is under fire from the Toronto police union for a facebook post he made last week. You can see the image he posted here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toro......1968665/

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why the Toronto police union is offended.

There is more to the story, I'll share that later after anyone who wants to comment on the above has a chance to do so.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The Face Book post simply stated a fact and has nothing whatsoever to do with policing in Toronto or even in Canada.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

The Face Book post simply stated a fact and has nothing whatsoever to do with policing in Toronto or even in Canada.

Unclear what is going to happen to him, whether he will keep his job or not (I guess it is up for renewal soon) over his facebook post concerning U.S. police officers. Public opinion seems split, but most stories I've seen seem to suggest that people support him as far as his observations go.

The other part to the story I mentioned had to do with another post he made a couple of years back but which was recently dug up, and which was arguably is poorer taste:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/10/......e-again/

That might be used as a reason to can him, we will see.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, RNK wrote:
Quote:

That's not exactly what she said. Here is the quote:

“This is what we call smart power, using every possible tool and partner to advance peace and security, leaving no one on the sidelines. Showing respect even for ones enemies.”

“Trying to understand and in so far as psychologically possible, empathize with their perspective and point of view.”

In context, she was relating the story of how a peace deal in the 40 year conflict (which claimed 120,000 lives) in Mindanao, Philippines was brokered. Inclusivity was a big part of that peace agreement.

Quote:

Like in the Tamir Rice incident?

Ron

Hard to fault the cop in the Tamir Rice incident, IMO.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
THUGS that are doing wrong

Thugs?

Quote:
Did you really think we want those laws observed? said Dr. Ferris. We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against… We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted -- and you create a nation of law-breakers -- and then you cash in on that. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with. ('Atlas Shrugged' 1957)

Elizabeth Daly went to jail over a case of bottled water. read more --> http://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opin......dc0.html
Was she a "THUG?"

Go to google and type in "thomas kelly police brutality." I cried when I read what happened to him. watch the video and look at the pictures of what they did to him!

This one is long but read it if you dare:

Quote:
There used to be pirates. So villages hired some of the pirates to hunt other pirates. These were called, pirate hunters. Eventually, the pirate hunters did their job and eliminated the other pirates. The pirates then realized that they had eliminated their own jobs. They then turned on the towns and said: now WE own all the pirating here, and you owe us the same that you were paying the other pirates. Eventually, armies were raised, towns would hang pirates on site, navies began patrolling instead of pirates. Piracy went away.

Similarly, municipal police were hired from amongst the local GANGs in the early 1800s, in order to curb other gangs in the area, eventually eliminating crime almost entirely (by comparison to what it once was). Now the police turn on us, realizing there is law and order, and they are no longer needed, have figured out how to fleece the people using speeding tickets, and various fines and "permits" just to justify their continued existence. When will you realize that police are legal gangs, paid by you, to intimidate, extort, and control you?

Your county sheriff can do the same job at a fraction of the price. So why do you still have local cops all over the place? Do you really think they will respond in time to PREVENT a crime? Even they will admit, almost never happens. They are fishing for money. Pulling you over for expired tags, or a "broken" windshield, a busted tail light so they can check for warrants, and other ways to fleece you, other crimes they can insinuate against you. You're just "so glad they didn't arrest you" that you fail to question the scenario of should they have even pulled you over at all? Is this really the best use of theirs, or your time?

The basic tenet of our society is: the law applies to everyone, equally. Everyone. Presidents, Supreme Court, to the lowliest citizen. No one is above it. And yet, police are always putting themselves above it. Don't tolerate it. Cut their budgets to nothing. If crime goes up, some of them can have their jobs back. You may be surprised to find, crime doesn't go up at all. There were not criminals there to begin with, and they don't make people any more honest, or law abiding than they already are. And that's the truth. -- Unknown

and finally: When San Francisco Stopped Prosecuting Drug Users, Violent Crime Went Down: Police Chief Greg Suhr Talks Narcotics Enforcement --> http://youtu.be/v_uqQhC3XA4

If you made it this far congratulations... I figure I will be drawn and quartered by the sheep... but perhaps someone woke up Smile

Please do not bring up the Kelly Thomas case, as it undermines the narrative that fatal police violence is racially motivated.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Not racially motivated- but frequently caused by racial misperceptions and stereotypes.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Hard to fault the cop in the Tamir Rice incident, IMO.

Did you see the video? Based on that, it seems to me they acted somewhat precipitously.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-......and-boy/

FWIW, what happened certainly seems consistent with this:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-de......ttern-or

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/08/opinion/ce......dex.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Eric Garner (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL