The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Eric Garner (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..17~18~19 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, RNK wrote:
Anthony Johnson - the pioneer of American Slavery and he WAS black!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

"THE" pioneer of American slavery??? That's a totally disingenuous interpretation of Johnson's status. After having been caught and sold into slavery himself, Johnson earned his freedom after years of indentured servitude. He then took ownership of a plot of land and acquired the services of 5 indentured servants, one of which was Johnson's own son - Johnson had bought out his son's contract (seems like the fatherly thing to do, no?). At any rate, the Atlantic slave trade flourished due to the acquisition of slaves by (mostly) Western Europeans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade
Quote:
The Atlantic slave trade or transatlantic slave trade took place across the Atlantic Ocean from the 16th through to the 19th centuries. The vast majority of those enslaved that were transported to the New World, many on the triangular trade route and its Middle Passage, were West Africans from the central and western parts of the continent sold by West Africans to Western European slave traders, or by direct European capture to the Americas.

Quote:
So for all you liberals who want to blame the white man maybe you should read this before you pass blame.

It's not about blame. It's about recognizing our history and perhaps understanding why things are the way they are. So for all you conservatives who want to deny that "white privilege" was real, pervasive, and consequential in this country for a long time, I ask again (which still nobody has dared answer)... would you rather have been born black at ANY period of American history (especially prior to around 1950)? Why not? And do you think that the social, cultural, and economic structure that was in place in 1947 (when an entire race of people couldn't even play baseball), and in the '50s and '60s when discrimination was still prevalent in many places, is so easily transformed as to completely level the playing field in a single generation or two?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
1) Blacks could play baseball; just not in the American League or National League. There were other places they couldn't work, either.

2) I think your thought experiment is flawed. Do you think most black people would rather be white today? If not, do you think that proves that white privilege no longer exists?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
1) Blacks could play baseball; just not in the American League or National League. There were other places they couldn't work, either.

Why couldn't they play in the AL or NL? Why couldn't they work other places?
By the way, and as you should know, it wasn't exactly a red carpet rollout and marching bands greeting Jackie Robinson as he broke into the big leagues. He (and his family) endured some pretty hard times during his career. And flash forward to 1974 as Hank Aaron approached Babe Ruth's homerun record - he too was the recipient of a lot of explicitly racially motivated hate. One should not receive death threats simply because they play a game.

Quote:
2) I think your thought experiment is flawed. Do you think most black people would rather be white today? If not, do you think that proves that white privilege no longer exists?

I don't know if most blacks would rather be white today. I can't speak for them. But YOU can speak for YOURSELF. So rather than deflect, why don't you answer my question, Lobo? Do YOU think YOU would have been better off in this country if you were born black (especially prior to 1950)?

Ron
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm just trying to keep the goalposts in one place.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:

Lobo, it's easier to keep moving the goal posts as it increases the chance of 'catching' ya. Now it's 'prior to the 1950's' as you reversed the question on him and he knows that most blacks would not want to be white. Ron Ron Ron Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2014, landmark wrote:
So, let's imagine that magically, Kabbalah, your skin turned black overnight. Do you think your life would be any different? What dollar value would you estimate that change would net you?

If my skin turned black overnight and all else remained the same, my life would be better because I would have foolish liberal white people worried about my existence and my way of life, even though it should be none of their *** business.

If I were in a position where my income depended in some fashion on minority bids, it would greatly enhance my income.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2014, landmark wrote:
So, let's imagine that magically, Kabbalah, your skin turned black overnight. Do you think your life would be any different? What dollar value would you estimate that change would net you?

If my skin turned black overnight and all else remained the same, my life would be better because I would have foolish liberal white people worried about my existence and my way of life, even though it should be none of their *** business.

If I were in a position where my income depended in some fashion on minority bids, it would greatly enhance my income.

Thanks for answering. If that's what you really believe, I doubt anything I say here will have much meaning for you.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
This New World Order is just a conspiracy theory. Tell the people of New York not to worry.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
An R.I.P. thread becoming a platform for racist rants. There goes a little more of my faith in humanity
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Who's racist critter? I for sure am not, most of my best friends are black, a few are Hispanic. Also have one Jew as a great friend as well.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I wonder policemen have any black friends left.

It’s a wonder there are any blank men left come to think of it.

Do you have any Mohican friends?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:

No, you're avoiding direct questions. Again...

Why couldn't blacks play baseball in the AL or NL?
Would you prefer to have been born black at any period in American history?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, lunatik wrote:
Quote:

Lobo, it's easier to keep moving the goal posts as it increases the chance of 'catching' ya. Now it's 'prior to the 1950's' as you reversed the question on him and he knows that most blacks would not want to be white. Ron Ron Ron Smile

What's to "catch", if as you imply, things weren't so bad for blacks in this country? So Lunatik, how would YOU answer the question... would you prefer to have been born black at any period in American history?

Ron
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Now would be great.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

No, you're avoiding direct questions. Again...

Why couldn't blacks play baseball in the AL or NL?
Would you prefer to have been born black at any period in American history?

Ron

Don't let Critter fool you; if you take a look at that thread, you'll see that he was griping about my not answering his question long after it was answered simply and directly.

As for you and your goalposts, the astute reader will notice that one of the question shifted from "Would you rather be black?" To "Would you have been better off if you'd been born black?"

And rather than acknowledge that blacks were, in fact, "allowed to play baseball," you morphed into Hank Aaron's death threats 40 years ago. Yes, the American and Antional Leagues were specific leagues in which they couldn't play. There were many workplaces not open to blacks. But they were "allowed to play baseball." Many of them were quite good at it, in fact. Fortunately, we now live in the 20th century, and people of all races are allowed to do just about whatever they want for a profession.

The reason I haven't answered the "Would you rare be black" question is that you're speciosly using it as a proxy to purportedly demonstrate that white privilege exists. Which is why you, in turn, avoided the question "If most blacks today would not want to change their race, would that demonstrate that white privilege doesnt exist?" Im pretty sure that most Americans of any particular race would not want to change their race, so singling out any of them actually demonstrates nothing att all.

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
We await for another question based on information at least 30-40 years ago.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Yes, there's a lot of reaching going on in this thread. There's also a lot of broad brushes and uses of the term "they." But what's not a reach is the facts I presented earlier - the institute of slavery, segregation, etc. These things actually happened. Given that there was a pervasive enough mindset in this country as recently as 1947 to not even allow blacks to play baseball, and for a third of the nation to have laws against interracial marriage as recently as the 1960s, one can only imagine the mindset of business owners around that time to hire blacks. Who here would have preferred being born black in this country anytime before 1960? (or even more recently). Who here thinks it was good and reasonable to not allow blacks to play baseball - not only in 1947, but anytime EVER?

True, progress has been made. Things are better than they were 40 or 50 years ago. And yes, we have a black (and white) President. But you can't deny that white privilege was the way of the land for a long time, and still persists to some degree today. The refusal by some to even recognize that simple fact can have subtle but profound consequences even today.

Ron

There are far more subtle and profound (and negative) consequences that result from individuals' free will choices and the soft bigotry of low expectations, IMO.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well I've certainly never heard the "some of my best friends are ___" defense.

Lobo, cute that you think one thread out of hundreds proves that you commit to positions. After all of these years the only ethical stance I've seen you take is on meat. Even on that thread I still have no idea what your position is on the subject, which certainly leads one to infer that you just enjoy the argument.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Then you haven't been paying attention. I suspect Landmark, for instance, would have no trouble explaining my position on any number of political or moral issues, including abortion, affirmative action, gay marriage, gun control, illegal immigration, and more, simply from comments I've made in NVMS threads. Perception is funny, though; personally, I find you a bit on the evasive side, myself.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is it when critter has run out of snark and evasion he accuses those who he can not counter of not taking stances? Dude Lobo has taken definite stances on a wide variety of subjects. Now the interesting part is his libertarian leanings mean you can not know ahead of time with any real certainty what that stance will be. But to say he does not take them is either willful blindness or a comprehension problem.

As for changing race can I be President Obama? Can I be Chris Rock? Sure lets play that stupid game as if it demonstrates anything or helps in the needless deaths. Good plan. Play gotcha and make snarky comments. I am not sure how much that will fix. But then again it is easier when han actually doing something.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Eric Garner (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL