The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Surgery (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I'm having hernia surgery today. Wish me luck!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
LUCK!!!!!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
At least it's not hemeriod surgery...I heard that's a real pain in the butt.

Good luck & speedy recovery.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
My brother had it back in Sept. He said it was a piece of cake, good luck!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Best wishes Daryl. Get home soon.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Good luck to you, Daryl! I've had two of them, inguinal about 20 years ago and umbilical about 10 years ago. The first was a snap. I was back working later that week, albeit slowly. The second was a little more involved. My problem is more that I have trouble coming out of anesthesia. My brother just went through surgery for an umbilical hernia. He'd let his go way too long and is learning his lesson through a longer recovery.

Post again when you can!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Hoping for the best! Good luck, Daryl.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Best of luck.

Did that 12 years ago. Had some of the most amazing dreams with pain killer I was taking. Forget what it was called.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
Hope all went well today, Daryl. Had mine repaired in September; not too happy for a week, but not to painful either (mine was too severe for laparoscopic surgery, had to do it "the old-fashioned way"). Hope you're "back at it again" in a day or two. Blessings.
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Thanks for the comments and concerns everyone. The surgery went fine. All I need now are pain meds and time.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Good to hear. Here's to a speedy recovery.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Good thoughts to you Daryl- get well soon!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Vicodin was what I was taking for pain. I could never sleep more then about two hours because of the dreams caused by the medication. The hernia surgery was more difficult the first few days then the hip replacement surgery I had last year.

I'd be interested to know if you've experienced any odd side effects from your medication.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, motown wrote:
Vicodin was what I was taking for pain. I could never sleep more then about two hours because of the dreams caused by the medication. The hernia surgery was more difficult the first few days then the hip replacement surgery I had last year.

I'd be interested to know if you've experienced any odd side effects from your medication.

I also take Vicodin for pain (which seems worse today for some reason). No side effects or bad dreams but I also take Ambien to help me sleep through the night. Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hope you're feeling better soon Daryl-…

-Mary Mowder
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The second day pain is most likely due to the fact that the anesthetic is still wearing off. That is common. If you had laparoscopic surgery, you are not only feeling the effects of the incisions and sutures, but also some pain associated with the CO2 that is pumped in so the surgeon can see what he is doing. That alone feels like taking a punch to the gut.

One thing you might want to know... My surgeon (for the first one) explained to me that the body produces a higher amount of endorphins to account for what is essentially a trauma. This acts like a stimulant. Several days later, those levels drop, but to a level below what is normal. When this happens, it is normal to suddenly experience a period of fatigue. (kind of an endorphin crash) It has happened to me like clockwork every single time (3 surgeries total). This lasts for a couple days before you really climb out of the hole. It gets better.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
If you had laparoscopic surgery, you are not only feeling the effects of the incisions and sutures, but also some pain associated with the CO2 that is pumped in so the surgeon can see what he is doing.
Yes, I have been "discharging" a lot of CO2, just ask my wife.
Smile Thanks for the info Michael.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
59 years old and so far (knock wood) I've only had one surgical procedure. (Two if you count that they knocked me out to get a broken tooth out of my head) I had gall stone surgery. I don't even remember the anthesia, just lying in the room waiting for the gas man to come and waking up in the recovery room later.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I had hernia surgery about 10 years ago. Getting into and out of the car to get home hurt like hell! Now I understand that they can do arthroscopically in a lot of cases and is much less painful.

Coming out of anesthesia, I'm pretty loopy. Whatever I was worried about before going under I tend to ask about over and over again as I come out forgetting that I just asked the question less than a minute ago!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Glad to hear all went well! Feel better soon!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Surgery (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL