The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mister Potato Head Prediction (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
So,
I had the idea for mr potato head prediction a few years back and kind of left it alone because I could not find a suitable reveal for the prediction. I also had an issue with how many outs one would actually need to have this done. I then began to use different methods to create a suitable mr potato head prediction (smart ass card force with different potato head configurations, clear force bags with pieces, even an electronic method similar to pro mystic color match) what joshua jordan has supplied here is a very clever method to fill 10 hilarious minutes for A WORKING PRO'S magic routine. if you paid 45$ out of the sheer curiosity of the method, than shame on you. spend 45$ to gain a workable routine. not to just be able to say " I know how that's done". when I watch a trick demo especially in today's magic community, I figure it out or try to figure it out in my head, and if I can find a few suitable methods that fulfill my curioisty, then I am happy. but to buy something out of curiosity and then be let down by the method, to me is missing the point. don't buy it! buy it with the intention to at least try it out. too many magicians buy magic so they are part of the "club" of guys who know how its done. hell, I have met guys who have purchased 300$-1000$ tricks or books just so they can fulfill their curiosity. What a waste of money! methods are irrelevant, especially to a working pro, its what the audience sees and remembers. I can imagine how well this would play in a family show.
What you see in the demo is the BEST possibility,but the other ways he explains the reveal of the prediction is just as strong if not STRONGER, depending how you frame the routine.
BTW:the way he forces someone to say mr potato head is worth the download itself.
and the script that he provides has a ton of built in comedy as well as room for you to add your own.
$45 for something someone has worked on, used and decided to give to the magic community is not something to be disappointed in.

its a shame that magicians as a whole are like dogs
and the "perfect method/trick" is like a car

if we got a hold of it we wouldn't know what to do with it!

disclaimer: I don't work for penguin and I don't know joshua jordan. just giving my opinion
If you want my work on how I do mr potato head on stage pm me proof of purchase of his dl and ill discuss my work

Mark Calabrese
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I don't think many have an issue with the method, but even then, there are many people who buy magic and never or rarely perform. For them, it is curiosity driven. I don't have an issue with that. The majority of people never perform an effect they buy - and that keeps creators creating.

The issue I have, and others, is the advertising does not match reality. When the trailer shows something that is not taught, especially when it is the main effect, that is a lie.

So get off your high horse before you hurt yourself.
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
KC,
My high horse comes from the fact that most magicians, in my opinion don't understand that especially with an out based effect, the method can look like its being misleading when it is in fact not. My reason for my dog chasing a car analogy is because, even if a creator came up with the perfect method for an effect , someone will still find a reason why it's "not for them " or not 4 of 4 stars". It drives me insane. As a creator , it does not drive me to create just to fulfill consumers curiosity. And I doubt any creator that loves his material to just create for the sake of the fast buck. Does that happen? Of course. Does that make it ok? No. That in my opinion is the wrong reason to create magic and curiosity is the wrong reason to buy an effect. If I am a performer and I buy an effect and it says I can do a trick in which I predict the outcome of how a potato head is made and in reality I can't do that at all... That's false advertising. This is not the case. This is an out based effect. I hope I'm not doing wrong by saying that because someone has already spilled the beans in reference to method. I am just merely defending the out based idea. There is another thread on this effect in which someone is upset that the effect doesn't deliver the advertised method. That's simply not true! You can in fact do the effect as shown. And I intend on doing it as shown. Now what happens if it's not the out with the duplicate spud. I do the other out! And I have come up with a way to make it look like its the only prediction I could've had! Magicians unfortunately want stuff done for them. How come guitarists buy a guitar and don't expect it to automatically play the blues for them... How come we are the only "art" in which our products take pride in the "easy to do, no sleight of hand required " advertisements. It's because we as magicians as a whole are lazy. Not as a species but because we have be conditioned to expect things to be done already for us. I'm not saying all magicians I'm saying many. And I simply don't think that this trick should suffer at the hands of weekend warrior commentators. The reason Justin flom praised the effect is because he's a working performer. And he see the potential for entertainment that the effect has. Like I said , if you bought the effect and aren't happy with how you do it I will gladly give you the work on how to do the effect and maximize the impact of the trick. I will share how to get the spectator to lean towards the strongest outs possible.

I hope you understand what I'm saying and don't look at me as some guy on a high horse. I love magic too much for people to knock a piece just because they aren't personally happy with some part. I also know what it feels like to see a creator's baby get picked apart by people who haven't gone out and performed the effect(s). Not s good feeling. You might mount a "high horse" too once you release your baby. The other side of that high horse is I also expect more from magic too. If an effect is not good then I also have strong opinions as to why it SHOULDNT be released.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Maybe out-based effects should be identified as such when advertising them.
illusionistJJ
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of illusionistJJ
Hey guys : )

(Joshua Jordan here Creator of MPH)

I will try to answer as many questions as I can that has been brought up in this post (and others). I gotta say though I'm a little taken back and kinda got my feelings hurt by some of the comments. Not liking a trick and attaching my character / questioning my integrity are two different things (People saying that I lied etc..) I don't think that's what the magic Café is about and it's definitely no what magic is about. It's also a little disappointing how many people flat out exposed the effect. That breaks the magic Café rules and several unwritten code of ethics. However, I hope you all are doing well and I will try to answer as many questions as I can : )

Let's get started:

Concerning a force
When I say "no force", it is referring to how the spectator makes the Mr. Potato Head, just read the description;

"…MPH is a trick where you have your audience member arrange a Mr. Potato Head into any order and configuration they want, and out of over 360,000 different possible combinations you predict the exact outcome" -no force
This is the trick that's being sold. You don't have to have the spectator think of a toy, you can just walk out on stage with a Mr. Potato Head and have the spectator start arranging it. The 'think of a toy' is just a nice kicker, an extra layer to the trick.

Concerning not explaining the how I reveal the box
This is not only explained but I, in addition, give other ways you can reveal the Mr. Potato head that might even play bigger. ---> "For example you can have a Mr. Potato Head spray painted on a king size sheet that drops down… etc." I was merely saying that you don't have to reveal it the same way I do ( Although you're certainly welcome to). All you would do is put a second physical Mr. Potato Head figure under a box like in the promo video.

I addressed this in the video for the reason that if the performer didn't want to go out and buy a second Mr. Potato Head (like I have in the video) they don't have to. I was giving cheaper/ free options and ideas. But lets say for the sake of argument I didn't address this in the video, I give out my personal e-mail at the end of the dvd if you have any questions. I don't know why some people are so mad? I am more than willing to help anyone who asks and make that clear in the video.

Concurring the endorsements
Everyone who gave me an endorsement for MPH I don't even know personally. (So it's not like they gave me an endorsement because they're close personal friends of mine or anything) They had nothing to gain from giving me an endorsement. They gave me an endorsement because they are real workers and they know the potential of this trick. I perform on a weekly basis all over the world (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXq8FhqVB_o) and I know what works and what doesn't (and so do they). I have been performing MPH for years and it simply just works. Bottom line is, there is a difference between workers and collectors. I think jf4viva made some fine points about that.

Concerning the cost being to high
The price for MPH several people have said is too low for what you get. Remember this is a real worker straight from my show. It is ready made, audience tested and most importantly comes with a full 10 minute script / routine. Also keep in mind that this is truly a unique trick. It's not just another card trick or coin trick or someones variation on a rope trick etc. This is so different than anything commonly performed. It's nostalgic, it appeals to a huge age range of people etc. Here's the thing: if $45 is not in your budget, Then don't buy it. I will say this though, how many of us have spent hundreds of dollars on lectures and props that we never use? All of us have. $45 for something that is ready made, audience tested with a script is pretty cheap.

Concerning that the trailer is not what it looks like on stage
I don't really understand this one because the trailer is a video of my live show? That's exactly what it looks like on stage. Keep in mind too, that there is a fine line between showing the trick in the trailer and showing you how it's done in the trailer (so no one buys it). I think a live shot for a real audience was the best way to show it.

In closing
If anyone has any questions about this trick I give out my e-mail at the end of the DVD and I'd be happy to talk you through any questions . I would much rather e-mail you (or even talk on the phone) then go back and for on a forum where comments can be misinterpreted. Love you all, keep magic alive : )
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Hey, quick question: how accurate is the "think of a toy" part?

-Thanks!
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
Sean: 100%
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Joshua, you are a true gentleman. Well said, and congratulations on your release, and thank you for doing it.

Please remember too, that it is easier to jump on and post negative stuff as we always tend to criticize and complain before calling the restuarant (for example) and saying what a wonderful experience we had. There are many of us (like myself) that follow threads yet rarely comment, but respect and appreciate good efforts and routining whenever it's seen.

Cool stuff...
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Can someone clear up the confusion on how free the person is when putting their potato head together?
I don't speak on stage and use only cue cards to communicate. So lengthy processes won't work for me.
Can I just hand him the potato head and the pieces and have him put it together however he wants?
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
FIRST, I have not purchased MPH yet, but I will.

Here is a rundown of the reviews of magicians on the Café who OWN it from this thread and this one: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=303

Interestingly, the people for it seem very happy, those against it, with the possible exception of Blindside785, seem to be very unhappy. Since all the pros who do adult shows (to my knowledge) are undividedly for it, and all the great endorsements for MPH, I'll be buying it.

dearwiseone saying the trailer does not match the reality is a serious accusation, one I cannot dismiss lightly. I probably should not have put the weight I did on his review and for that, I am truly sorry Joshua.

Make your own conclusions.

Professional Adult Magicians:
Sashac - Thumbs up
jf4viva - Thumbs up
TheTableTopTrixta - Thumbs up

Professional Kids Magician:
dearwiseone - Thumbs down

Magicians w/o a website in their profile (Assuming not pros):
ted french - lots of posts - Thumbs up
RNMagic - 2 posts - Thumbs up
MagicBrent - Lot’s of posts - Thumbs up
tmoca - Lots of posts - Thumbs down
gitty - lots of posts - Thumbs down
Blindside785 - lots of posts - Thumbs down
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
Kc, you won't be disappointed. One thing I will say is that this will work best for a family or a general magic show as well as adult only show. Kid shows don't really fair well with mentalism and even though it is a mr potato head I think the effect will be lost on the kids. I think maybe a prediction of a toy would work for kids but not the piece by piece matching. For adults it will be a nostalgic piece bringing them back to their childhood. And for kids now they will go "mom look, from toy story 3!" etc. The majority of my work is for adults at comedy clubs and general family shows for all ages. So the age range is from 5-75 at that kind of event. In that case the general age takes precident. I just think the idea of explaining 9 factorial to kids will be a waste. Adults will get it while the kids will just enjoy seeing the trick with a potato head
Sparda
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Sparda
I am a little confused. Is the reveal of a duplicate Mr.Potato Head always possible? Thanks!
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
It is always possible
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Would you kindly clarify? Is it always one possible outcome among several OR is it an outcome that can always be guaranteed to occur?
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
I'm trying to understand the effect from the perspective of the audience.

1. The participant is handed a MPH and asked to arrange him into a configuration of his choosing - no force.
2. The participant arranges MPH right there and then in full view of the audience arranges MPH any way he wishes.
3. The performer lifts up a box that has been in plain view the entire time to reveal a MPH of his own.
4. The performers MPH exactly matches the MPH that has just been randomly arranged by the participant.

The trailer suggests that this is the effect as seen by the audience.

Can someone who has MPH please clarify if this is indeed what the audience actually sees?

Regards,
Lar.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Comments from people who actually bought this can be found in this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=303
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Hi Tony,

I did read that thread but there are mixed reviews and conflicting opinions.

One chap mentions that "The Potato Head app is only working for iPhone and iPad - not Android" at one point. Another mentions "printing off 100 3x5 cards one at a time on your home printer".

Neither of these things make any sense given what I've seen in the trailer.

I'm just looking for some clarity as to what the audience sees.

Cheers,
Lar.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, Lar wrote:
I'm trying to understand the effect from the perspective of the audience.

1. The participant is handed a MPH and asked to arrange him into a configuration of his choosing - no force.
2. The participant arranges MPH right there and then in full view of the audience arranges MPH any way he wishes.
3. The performer lifts up a box that has been in plain view the entire time to reveal a MPH of his own.
4. The performers MPH exactly matches the MPH that has just been randomly arranged by the participant.

The trailer suggests that this is the effect as seen by the audience.

Can someone who has MPH please clarify if this is indeed what the audience actually sees?

Regards,
Lar.

If that is what you get I too am in. Unfortunately the other thread contains comments that does not confirm this. One writer is one whom I especially trust.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Totally disappointed that so many things were left out of the demo and out of the description.
You get more sales with honesty even at the cost of some exposure. A happy customer is a future
customer.
jf4viva
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of jf4viva
Ok so here is what the audience sees and how it is perceived

the magician goes on about toys they had as a kid and asks the spectator to name a toy . spectator says mr potato head, he unveils under a box a mr potoato head in the original box. he then goes on to explain that there are 9 pieces and nine holes on the doll which if you do the math is 9 factorial which is over 300,000 different combinations to make a mr potato head. if you made every combination you would have enough toys to cover the island of manhattan. he then tells the spectator to take the doll and go behind a trip fold screen and to configure the doll in any way he would like(the spectators see the single spectator go behind the screen at a table configure the doll, the magician does byplay etc while this is happening. after about 30 seconds to a minute the spectator then reveals his creation. the magician then goes to re explain the improbability of having a match of the potato head and then unveils his prediction. that MATCHES perfectly.

that's what the audience sees and perceives. that out of 362,880 (9factorial) the magician was able to predict how the doll was to be configured.

this is explained in the download DIFFERENT ways to reveal the prediction if you don't want to do a duplicate mr potato head, but if you wanted to just have it be revealed as a duplicate doll you could do that. but if you wanted to have an envelope with a picture, a shirt with a picture matching , or whatever else you can imagine for a prediction reveal, you can do.

in reference to forcing the outcome, NO you aren't forcing an outcome hence the multiple outs, are there really 300,00+ ways..... to the audience yes, in reality no, which is why this is so strong, because its the concept of limiting choices while still giving the audience the perception that they could've done it in over 300,000 ways.

once again if you buy the download pm me and ill give you the work that I have to maximize the prediction reveal and make it seem impossible.

mark calabrese
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mister Potato Head Prediction (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL