The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is your latest opener for strolling guys? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
One coin routine. Always has been always will be.

Transitions into ring and string by way of Johnny Ace’s wonderful coin to ring transpo.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, David Fillary wrote:
Eugene Burger's opener would have been his mysterious aura. He is immediately interesting as soon as he opens his mouth and can get people hooked in before any magic is needed.
To analyse how he uses it as an opener, we would need to see his script, as that would no doubt be the most important part.

Burger certainly was an inspiration for many of my scripts. Sometimes it's as simple as asking a question or making a statement that piques the spectators' curiosity as to what you're about to show them.
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
0 openers. Build genuine rapport, transition into a story that fits your patter. Then demonstrate anything

Don't copy TV magicians/mentalists - that's TV. Real life is slightly different.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Gee that's great. So what trick do you open with after the pleasantries are out of the way?

Quote:
On Jul 27, 2022, KarpeNoktem wrote:
0 openers. Build genuine rapport, transition into a story that fits your patter. Then demonstrate anything

Don't copy TV magicians/mentalists - that's TV. Real life is slightly different.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Depends on where we are

If it's standing

Then I really like to go to an impromptu PK touches effect: visual and invisible (I have my own but D'Angelo's is good)

Sitting, I like to do some hypnotic suggestion-based stuff like their fork getting heavier until they can't lift it

Then lead into any simple thought transference (nothing too deep)
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
150 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Hundy 500, as money tends to get peoples attention.

Lately, I've been playing with the idea of producing sponge ball from flashpaper.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
150 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
My latest opener is simply coughing up a donut (sponge donut). I got great reactions with it tonight and it immediately lets people I'm there to have fun.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
I am confused about why magicians talk about having an opener.
When approaching a table, or group at a bar, I look at them and decide what effect might be best for them.
A young couple on a date could be an anniversary waltz effeect.
A family with kids could be an ambitious card.
A group of drunken lads could be something physical like a ring on string.

My openers are always tailored for the group's age, intelligence, sobriety etc., and I often decide on the opener just as I am walking toward each group.
I may get it wrong sometimes, but that is all part of the learning experience.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2022, Gordon the discombobulator wrote:
When approaching a table, or group at a bar, I look at them and decide what effect might be best for them.

My openers are always tailored for the group's age, intelligence, sobriety etc., and I often decide on the opener just as I am walking toward each group.

BUT, in order for them to grant you the permission to enter their space, the opener is how you initially approach and interact. The opener (effect) should be imo, demonstrative. By that I mean, something that does not require that THEY have to personally handle a prop. They don't know you. I have always changed a piece of paper into a Million Dollar Bill. ( or something similar, that is visual at a distance, respecting personal space)

The opener should be visual, establishes you as someone worth their time and possibly opens the door to get more hands on. You MUST establish a rapport of friendliness and respect. That's what I have learned from years of performing in restaurants and other venues.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2022, Gordon the discombobulator wrote:

That is one way to do it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Here’s an opener I use when approaching tables….

Short sharp and punchy. Hope you like it
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I know magicians have fallen in love with that and lots do it, but it involves handling coins in convoluted ways people absolutely never ever do in their lives.

The real problem with that trick as an opener is it screams “let me see the coins”. Obviously impossible. I prefer openers that are able to be handled so it gets it out of their system. The earlier they can handle something the earlier they will stop wanting to.

Just one persons opinion and not absolute in any way. Not a single thing wrong with the effect or anyone doing it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Hi Danny - actually you CAN let spectators examine coins in this routine if you want, but it then slows down the pace. I prefer doing an opener that doesn’t directly involve the spectators - that comes in the following effects. Each to their own I guess, no right or wrong here.

I also perform an longer version of this routine which has a coins across section in it, which includes the spectators. Here’s a live performance at a wedding… This was filmed by another guest so excuse the quality! I’m not using this as an opener here however.

Take care

Sean
Magically,

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely each has their own way of going about it and all are right for each individual!

Just fun to discuss options is all. Not being critical.

I still don’t like the strange way of having to hold them. I’ve never seen anyone in life not doing a magic effect holds coins in that fashion. But that is a problem lots of magic effects have. For example any card effect utilizing an Ascanio Spread!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

No worries Danny, sorry you don’t like my routine. I’m not sure how to display coins in a more visual way so everyone can see them, but if you see that as convoluted fair enough.

Anyway, thought I’d share a real world performance rather than just a video facing one. Hope it helps others…
Magically,

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Did your audience like it? I’d have to say yes! They are the ones who ultimately matters my friend. We are just discussing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is your latest opener for strolling guys? (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL