We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Great Acid Reflux Controversy ... solved! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Some alternative health guys swear that acid reflux is caused by not having enough stomach acid, and suggest people with heart burn should drink vinegar to cure acid reflux disease.

Doctors swear up and down that is garbage, and if you have heart burn you should take anti-acids for relief.

One guy (whose name is not worth mentioning) was even arrested for writing a book making such claims.

So what gives?? I got to thinking about it ... here it is, my theory:

Acid reflux can be caused for TWO reasons ... the first being excess acid in the stomach, in which case anti-acids may help (debatable, but for simplicity ... in this case, doctors are correct).

The second reason is excess gas in the stomach! And as you expel the gas, acid comes up with it ... and everyone thinks they have acid reflux disease!

I'll spare you all the gory details of my current health situation which have lead me to this realization, but assure you it is truth. Need to find someone that can "prove" it. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It took a long time for folks to accept the fact of bacteria and stomach ulcers. Acid reflux is getting popular. Time for more research to find what's at cause.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Or neither. But I do know the joy of finding a medical condition remedy which works for you and assuming it works for everyone.

Reflux is a real battleground of "medicine" though, that's for sure.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I suffered from Acid Reflux for years, not realizing there was a simple solution. I would wake every night at 2am with horrible acid reflux, sometimes breathing small amounts of acid into my lungs that would leave me hacking and in distress for up to an hour. Finally, I talked to my doctor who prescribed a proton blocker. It was instant relief, almost like magic. It was literally a life saver.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
It can also be a symptom of Sleep Apnea. Once I got on my Bi-Pap my Acid Reflux vanished.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, Tom Cutts wrote:
But I do know the joy of finding a medical condition remedy which works for you and assuming it works for everyone.

I doubt it works for everyone, only people that have excess gas in their system. If you have acid reflux, then the current treatment if fine, but that treatment fails for a lot of people (me for example).

For me ... three days after stopping the anti-acids and going on an intense "burp and fart" program, I feel much better!

We're talking being able to hold down food for the first time in 9 days ... having my colon stop spasming for the first time in 8 months ... and taking great joy in realizing I do not have Celiac or Crohn's disease, and will (eventually) be able to eat cheeseburgers and pizza again!

In terms of my life ... while I'm weak and shaking and just barely able to move around ... this is still one of the best days of my life. Smile

-JoeJoe
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
There's more than two reasons.
Don't forget a loose esophageal sphincter.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, Ray Tupper. wrote:
There's more than two reasons.
Don't forget a loose esophageal sphincter.

Hence, the "debatable, but for simplicity" part of my OP. Smile

Logic suggests that if your esophageal sphincter is loose then the acid levels in your stomach are actually normal and anti-acids would be an incorrect treatment ... but they can provide short-term relief without surgery.

-JoeJoe
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1223 Posts

Profile of imgic
Diet plays a big part. I used to drink coffee up to bedtime and had horrible heartburn and acid reflux. I stopped it, along with cutting back on fatty and fried foods. And I haven't been bothered since.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Diet is definitely a huge contributor. I found that, like imgic said, coffee, tomato products, fried foods, spicy foods all played a part. BUT- I also found that too much sugar affected me big time. And I also used to drink a lot of alcohol.

Once I got my diet in line and started exercising I was able to get off of the Zantac and daily Tums and now enjoy a normal digestive life.

I can relate to you JoeJoe when you say it's one of the best days of your life.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I don't eat anything 3 hours before bed time. I only eat twice a day and it has never bothered me again (unless I eat before bed).
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I don't eat anything 3 hours before bed time. I only eat twice a day and it has never bothered me again (unless I eat before bed).

You're probably healthier (and trimmer) for that, too!

I had a surgical procedure performed - a gastric nissen fundoplication. Went in via 4 very small incisions. Cured the reflux I had. One night in the hospital for observation. Sooooo nice.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Before I did that I kept a bottle of Mylana next to the bed.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, imgic wrote:
Diet plays a big part. I used to drink coffee up to bedtime and had horrible heartburn and acid reflux. I stopped it, along with cutting back on fatty and fried foods. And I haven't been bothered since.

I have to agree. Acid Reflux never started for me until I turned 27. I found that less coffee and chocolate in combination with the above quote is the solution for me. I am not one that likes to take any medication- so thankfully I found what doing naturally keeps the acid where it belongs!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
If you have acid reflux because of something you ate ... then you do not have "acid reflux disease".

Anti-acids are for treating exactly that ("acid reflux" not "acid reflux disease").

But again ... they can provide short-term relief without risk of surgery, which is why the medical community accepts anti-acids as treatment for GERD.

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Great Acid Reflux Controversy ... solved! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL