The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What comes after CMH? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Kabsallah that's all you do here on ther Café iis monitor my posts ..

every thing I do is origional... Remember I have been compared to Slydini.all you can do is read about it...
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Rubberband thru thumb, broken and restored rubberband.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It's important to remember that it's very easy to become "greedy with a principle".

Jay Marshall expressed it very well one day, when we were discussing this sort of thing: "Once you get a routine developed--and, it's working--it's usually better to EDIT, not, ADD TO IT."

Of course, exceptions "prove the rule", but the wise performer IS careful about making exceptions.

I remember, as a teenager, learning almost every flourish, cut, and fancy shuffle with cards. I was very proud of my ability! I started using all os them in my act. After a few shows, I realized that I was doing too much of a "watch me do this clever stuff". It was hard to edit, but,I did. With a few appropriate gags, I ended up with two minutes of ENTERTAINMENT.

Always leave them wanting more!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
PIPO
View Profile
New user
Madrid SPAIN
82 Posts

Profile of PIPO
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
It's important to remember that it's very easy to become "greedy with a principle".

Jay Marshall expressed it very well one day, when we were discussing this sort of thing: "Once you get a routine developed--and, it's working--it's usually better to EDIT, not, ADD TO IT."

Of course, exceptions "prove the rule", but the wise performer IS careful about making exceptions.

I remember, as a teenager, learning almost every flourish, cut, and fancy shuffle with cards. I was very proud of my ability! I started using all os them in my act. After a few shows, I realized that I was doing too much of a "watch me do this clever stuff". It was hard to edit, but,I did. With a few appropriate gags, I ended up with two minutes of ENTERTAINMENT.

Always leave them wanting more!

Totally agree with Dick! Smile

I do the CMH followed by "The missing link" from Kenner, such an amazing routine and... that's it!! Smile

Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, vinsmagic wrote:
Remember I have been compared to Slydini.all you can do is read about it...

Compared with Slidini! Congrats! May I ask who did it?
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, vinsmagic wrote:

Remember I have been compared to Slydini.all you can do is read about it...

I thought it was Scarne and Garcia? Slydini, too?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
sturner
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sturner
Well I knew Slydini and was acquainted with Garcia. But after watching these videos I find myself wondering what the comparison was based on? I applaud you putting up video but failing to find any comparison to either of those two.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My BAD D IT WAS SCARNE
Come check out my magic.

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well if I don't go into Pinnacle or Jumper ill finish it with my final phase of CMH where the one rubber band ends up absorbed by the other. Don't recall the origin but I learned it from a magician in NJ over 10 years ago.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Sounds like dan Harlans work
Come check out my magic.

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Thank you Godfather, I believe you might be right. Either way I love that ending. Unless I got with a Watch steal finale but I sometime feel that might be over kill.
sturner
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sturner
I first read the idea of one rubber band melting into the other in Harry Lorayne's "Reputation Makers". I think it came out in 1971.

Vinny can you share what aspects of your work were compared to Scarne? I would find that interesting. Thanks.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hello stunner,,, I never ever compared my work with Scarne......another magiciazn here on the Café said this not me.
I was just talking to Kaballah ......it seems he is a great fan of me and my work..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

sturner
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sturner
Vinny I'm a little confused now. You say you never compared your work to Scarne yet you were the one who brought up the comparison. I guess there is an inside joke/conversation going on with you and Kaballah but I don't know what it is about.

I asked you what about work led to the comparison of you with Slydini which you now say is Scarne. I'm still interested in that. Based on the videos I've watch I'm not able to make the connection but I would like to. So any help appreciated.

Thanks.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Stunner some of my work that another magican said he comapred it to Scarne..
by mistake I said Slydini. kaballah has read the thread I was referring to and made that statement.
I could only wish to be like scarne. but I will take the complement
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
When I perform it its as a quick opener and I do it once in my hands, then again in their hands and then finish with broken and restored (which is the sequence Ammar teaches in his classic renditions dvd)
Hydrostevo
View Profile
New user
Stamford, England
56 Posts

Profile of Hydrostevo
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, AdamChance wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, aqmagish20 wrote:
I go into one band crawling up the other one as if defying gravity.

Oh ya, I've seen that one before. I might give that one a shot because it looks very simple to learn and perform. Thanks for the tip!

I do that with a borrowed ring and it always blows people away (and it is nice and simple)
Hydrostevo
View Profile
New user
Stamford, England
56 Posts

Profile of Hydrostevo
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, raging_onion wrote:

I'm more looking for recommendations for a specific trick to learn. I'm aware of most of the material that is available. I'm just looking for one trick from one DVD that I could learn. [/quote]

Might want to try "Stairway" http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2086
Very visual and very easy to to do! [/quote]

Stairway and also the linking bands on the Five DVD are both really strong if you have a small group. Also Joe Rindfleisch 'Jumper' is an excellent DVD well worth a look.
Silvestri
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Silvestri
I perform CMH twice in my hands and once with the volunteer holding a band. I then go in to linking the rubber bands and finish with a broken and restored sequence. Each phase builds on the previous one and the whole routine makes sense and is not over done. I never fail to get gasps with this convincing three phase routine.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I always follow CMH with Crazy Man's with a Twist (Magic with Rubberbands - Dan Harlan - Volume 1, I think?). After performing CMH, the twist version is easy to set up on the off beat. After spectators have reacted long enough for me to get into the setup, I get their attention, like I just remembered something, and tell them there is a danger in doing the trick. If you have the bands one behind the other (as I show them that they are) and you rub too fast, the bands can get to hot and in that case the melt right into each other. Now show that the two bands have become one. Killer!

With one band left, I tell them there isn't a lot you can do with one band so I just get rid of the last one and shoot it up my nose. I started using that as kinda a throw away trick at the end for the kids in the restaurant, but I found the adults actually loved that part too, so what do I know?!?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What comes after CMH? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL